What's Your Favorite Grocery Store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 20, 2014

What's your favorite(s)?

I like Sprouts, Fresh & Easy, Trader Joe's, & Ralph's. I REALLY, REALLY wish I had a Bristol Farms &/or Gelson's in my area, which are these more upscale/gourmet stores in the L.A. area. The next time I'm in the area, I'll shop there on the way home.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 20, 2014

This is going to be SUPER regional, I think. :)

My absolute favorite is Trader Joe's. We have one within a mile of us, which is fantastic. Our other close option is Von's. I'm not crazy about Von's, but it's ok.

I love WinCo, but we don't have any near us. My family does.

We basically shop at Trader Joe's and then supplement with stuff we can't get there at another grocery store. (In this case, Von's.)

I really liked Stater Bros but we don't have any of those in our current area...that's really local to SoCal though.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2014

In my area of NC, I preferred Lowes Foods.

Here in MI, I used to shop at a local chain, but they have a new owner and I'm not very impressed. Basically, it is the small local chain, Kroger, Meijer, and Walmart. I usually choose Meijer or Kroger. Our Target has an empty store next to it (it used to be a grocery store). I wish it would become a Super Target!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2014

In this area, I like Publix best.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 20, 2014

I love Trader Joes for some things. My closest Target isn't a Super Target but they still have a lot of grocery items and their prices usually beat those of my supermarket.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2014

Trader Joes!

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 20, 2014

I shop at Kroner, usually. There is a Whole Foods opening near here soon, so I'll probably try that out. I haven't been to one in years since I moved here. When I lived near one, I liked Publix best.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 20, 2014

Yeah, around here Publix is the best when it comes to coupon deals! I usually end up going to Walmart or Aldi. Aldi has store brand items. Pretty good deal on their things, too. Milk is usually around 1.99-2.49/gal. Eggs run 69cents/doz.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

I love Trader Joe's but we don't have one in the area. They just opened an Aldi's so I go there sometimes but I can't get everything I want there. We have 4 other grocery stores around here and I would say I like Hannaford's more than the others.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2014

I just shop at the base commissary. Prices are the most similar to the mainland. Everywhere else is so expensive!

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 20, 2014

I shop at Kroger's and a local fruit/veggie market. I even have a particular store that I prefer. I drive past a closer one to reach the one I like.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2014

Ours is a regional place....

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 20, 2014

Whole Foods has some great stuff, but it's pricey!! :dizzy: We live near one but I've only been a couple of times.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 20, 2014

The only one we have in town is Save-a-Lot, so that's where I go for perishables most of the time. I drive to the next town once every 4-6 weeks to stock up on everything else. Generally I go to Kroger and Walmart. The only other option there is Meijer, but it is all the way across town. When I drive to the big city, I usually stop at Fresh Market. It's a 100 mile round trip, so I don't go unless I have other business in town.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

HEB is the best around here, but I think they may only be in TX

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 20, 2014

Target, Giant Eagle (Market District!), and Heinens when I'm in CLE.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 20, 2014

HEB

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2014

PUBLIX!

Though, to be fair, if there was a Wegmans anywhere nearby, that would be my favorite.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

Hehe, we have 2 choices, and they are both locally owned. They are great about trying to get what you really want, but don't be in a hurry! I once waited 3 weeks for Brussel sprouts.

When I go to the "big city", my favorite is HyVee. It's funny, because I am somewhat of a foodie, and I walk in HyVee and am AMAZED at what you can get there. I always make my sister take me to King Soopers in Denver because I can get cheese other than Kraft or Velveeta. :lol:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2014

Grocery stores vary regionally...very few are national chains..and those who are national tend to have one name east and another west.

In my part of NJ the big chains are ShopRite, A&P, ShopRite. WholeFoods, Trader Joes, Kings cater to a higher SES and/or specialized clientele.

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2014

I'm way out in West Texas and no HEB within 80 miles. I do sometimes drive to the town it is in so I go shopping there once in a while. We do have a Walmart with a huge grocery section. Not quite. super walmart.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 20, 2014

Is Trader Joe's not as popular in NJ? It started in CA, so that may be why, but nearly everyone I know shops at Trader Joe's to some extent. I find the prices to often be better at TJ's than at our other local grocery stores.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2014

Its popular, but it's an add on..it's not where you go with your weekly shopping list. One can do better shopping area sales at the regional chains.

25. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jan 20, 2014

Trader Joe's is my favorite. I will also shop at Whole Foods, Ultra Foods (really good sales) and Pete's Fresh Market (really, really good produce).

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

Festival Foods

I've never heard of Trader Joe's, but it seems pretty popular.

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

Trader Joe's!!!

If there's an item I can't buy at TJ's, I'll get it at Super Target.

28. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 20, 2014

I can't imagine buying everything I need at Trader Joe's. Here it is a small specialty store.

In my area, we don't have many choices. Safeway and Fred Meyer are the only two choices. I go to the Fred Meyer, because the staff are so good. I can go to Costco once in a while.

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 20, 2014

NOW, if I lived in Cincinnati, I'd hit Jungle Jim's! I love that place! Been there when I visited a friend up there. Now they have one closer to her house. I'd be in heaven!

30. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 20, 2014

Target first and foremost. Then I'll go to Trader Joe's or Waldbaums.

31. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 20, 2014

Publix!

32. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 20, 2014

As others have said, this is very regional. However, my favorite grocery to shop at is Bi-Lo. Sadly, a few have recently closed down in my area forcing me most days to go to Walmart because it is so close.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2014

I've described Trader Joe's as "the gourmet store for people with more sense than money", and it's lovely having one within a couple miles: that's good for breads and dairy items. Sprouts is good quality, especially when items go on sale, and there's one within an easy walk. For produce, I go to one of two markets that carry lots of Middle Eastern and Central European goods plus an astonishing array of veg that I need to learn how to cook; they're also by far the cheapest places to get bulgur (which is like rice on speed dial) and both fresh and dried herbs and spices. If there were a Winco within striking distance, I'd shop there lots: the bulk-bin items include French green lentils and black rice, which are ridiculously hard to find elsewhere. I'd probably also shop Stater Bros. if there were one nearby. I've never quite managed to wrap my mind around the concept of Target as a place to meat and produce, somehow.

34. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2014

Where in NJ are you from? I grew up in Maplewood/South Orange and I always thought we were the only people to have a Kings because I never saw any other Kings.

In Maryland, I like Giant, Whole Foods and Target. But, I prefer the grocery stores in NJ and Michigan where I could also buy alcohol.

35. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 21, 2014

It really must be a CA thing. I have the same approach! Even though TJ's doesn't have sales, their prices are still better than the sales at my local grocery store. (Von's, which would be Safeway in the Central Valley I believe? I know it is in the Sacramento area.)

I love the bulk bins at WinCo! I really wish there was one near us. All the Targets I've been to have less-than-stellar produce sections, although we have picked things up there in a pinch. I'm glad someone else likes Stater Bros. That was our go to store before we moved to a new area.

36. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 21, 2014

Oh it's small here, too, but it's amazing what they pack in there. We can get most everything we need.

I wish we had Fred Meyer down here! I went when I was visiting family in the Seattle area, and I loved that place.

37. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 21, 2014

Trader Joes, Target, and Ralphs are the grocery stores I shop at most.

38. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 21, 2014

Another Trader Joe's lover! I'd prefer to buy most things there. It tends to be cheaper and higher quality for many items, especially when you're only feeding one or two people. I also do some shopping at Costco, various ethnic stores, and supplement some items with the regular chain grocery stores, usually Ralphs. I used to live near some farm-direct produce stores and they were my absolute favorite! Cheap, fresh, delicious produce. Wish they were more common. I love Whole Foods but it's just too expensive for me to shop at regularly. I go there for some treats every once in a while, like good quality meat or cheese.

39. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 21, 2014

I prefer Superstore, then Sobeys... for produce, Walmart can give us really good deals as well.

Not nearly the amount of options as there are in the US!

40. physteach

physteach Companion

Jan 21, 2014

Nah, TJ's is pretty boss here. I tend to go to Stop and Shop because it is closer, but I get all my prepared/frozen food at TJ's. Prices are reasonable. When I lived in NYC, it was actually cheaper than everywhere else.

41. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 21, 2014

I think it's really strange that people do their grocery shopping at Target! We don't have Target grocery stores around here. Some of them have basic groceries, but I can't imagine buying everything there.