What's your favorite cancelled T.V. series?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, May 29, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 29, 2014

Not sure why I keep doing this to myself, but ever since I got Netflix I keep falling in love with cancelled/off-air series. Lincoln Heights, the Gates, Freaks and Geeks, Don't Trust the B---- in Apt 23, Persons Unknown and Fringe.

On the one hand I love it b/c I can watch the entire series w/o waiting for the next season (like with the show Shameless, they make you wait an entire year before the next season airs! :mad:) On the other hand it sucks b/c I know there won't be new episodes and sometimes there's no series finale so you're left hanging (the Gates and Persons Unknown were like that)

What about you all? Anyone else wistful for a cancelled series?

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 29, 2014

Smash! I'll never get over it being cancelled while Glee is still on the air.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2014

Brothers & Sisters :wub:

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 29, 2014

666 Park Avenue

I know it was cheesy, but I liked Pan Am too!

There was one show I was just getting into when it disappeared, and the name is escaping me right now...Sunday nights, CBS, after the Good Wife (my FAV show)...it was about some kind of special ops military, and had Scott Foley on it...it focused on the wives as well as the husbands who were off on these dangerous missions-argh, what is the name???

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 29, 2014

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2014

My So-Called Life

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 29, 2014

Party of Five, Dawson's Creek, My So-Called Life, Everwood

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2014

I liked Pan Am, too. As for 666 Park Avenue, I liked watching Dave Annable. Since my aforementioned Brothers and Sisters was canceled.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2014

Way too many to count! I didn't start liking them when they were already cancelled. I started watching them all since day 1 when they aired. Some got cancelled way too soon:

One Tree Hill
    Once & Again
    Gilmore Girls
    Felicity
    Dawson's Creek
    Desperate Housewives
    Charmed
    Boston Public
    Ally McBeal
    90210 (original & later version)
    Melrose Place
    Ugly Betty
    Pacific Palisades
    Models, Inc.
    Flash Forward
    Malibu Shores
    Carpoolers
    Bunheads
    The Secret Life of the American Teenager
    Ringer
    Make It or Break It
    Ravenswood
    Privileged
    The Lying Game
    Lucky 7 - only aired 2 episodes

(I know I'm forgetting some!)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 29, 2014

I loved Breaking Bad but it wasn't cancelled..it just completed its story line.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 29, 2014

YES! My parents used to watch that show religiously. I never got into it (kept missing episodes) but Mom used to rave about it and how good the plots and sub-plots were.

I think we're quasi-cancelled show spirits because I loved Boston Public (and have been waiting for YEARS for them to release it to DVD. What's the hold up?!), Models Inc, Ugly Betty, Charmed, Ally McBeal and Flash Forward (another favorite that ended on a cliff hanger!)

There was this other show that none of my friends ever remember. It was called something like, "Who is Eli Gray?" and basically these two college-aged guys met a guy named Eli Gray and they were inseparable for like two years.

Then one day Eli disapears and this mysterious group with advanced weapons start hunting the two guys in order to get to Eli.

The guys don't know where Eli went or why he's being hunted, so they try to call him. Phone disconnected. E-mail disconnected. Facebook page deleted. Apartment cleared out. Car gone. Then they start looking through pictures they took over the last two years with Eli and they notice (for the first time) that there are no pictures of Eli's face (he'll have a hand up blocking the camera, or his back turned, or he's standing behind someone so you can just barely make out part of his face.

It looked like it was going to be really good. Then after that one, 2 hour long episode, it never came back :(

If anyone of that sounds familiar, can someone please tell me the name of the show?

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 29, 2014

I'm really sad that Psych was cancelled this year. It's so unique that nothing can replace it! I discovered Friday Night Lights on netflix awhile after it was cancelled and LOVED it. At least with that one though, there were several seasons and it had a real ending. If I know it's something that was cancelled on a cliffhanger/no ending, I won't start watching it!

14. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

May 29, 2014

Savannah
    X-Files

15. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 29, 2014

Firefly

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 29, 2014

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!! I was trying to figure out what my favorite cancelled shows are and then you posted that!

Gilmore Girls didn't get a real ending, and I am still bitter about that.

Arrested Development - though I'm glad they brought this back on Netflix.

Bunheads - It was a silly little ABC Family show, but I thought it was cute. :)

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 29, 2014

House and Lie to Me.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 29, 2014

I love all the shows you posted! Gilmore girls is definitely one of, if not my favorite TV series of all time. I did like the older seasons a lot better than the newer ones though. I've literally probably watched the whole series at least 5 times. I also discovered Arrested Development very recently on Netflix, after the new seasons had been added. I loved the original seasons, didn't care for the Netflix season. I liked Buheads as well, mostly for it's Gilmore Girl connections.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 29, 2014

GG is my all time favorite as well! I think I've watched through the series around 5 times too, although the last 2 times I stopped after season 5. I just cannot bring myself to watch seasons 6 and 7. I hate when Lorelai and Rory aren't talking, I can't stand Logan, and I hate the mess with Luke/the Christopher marriage...BLEH.

I agree about the Netflix AD season. My husband loved it, but I just don't think it's as good when the whole family doesn't ever get together. The scenes with everyone are some of the best.

And yes, GG fans everywhere loved Bunheads I'm sure! ;)

20. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 29, 2014

Seventh Heaven
    Everwood
    Bunheads

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2014

A few years ago, Shonda Rhimes (sp?) did another medical show- Off the Map. I really liked it, but it was only like half of a season.

And going waaaayyyy back- Second Noah. It was early 90s and had James Marsden in it.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2014

We should do a spinoff thread- shows that need to die.
    *cough* Revenge *cough*

23. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 30, 2014

Ah!! I forgot about bunheads and Gilmore girls!

24. bros

bros Phenom

May 30, 2014

With Fringe, do not fear! It has a series finale. It's pretty good, too.

Here are shows that were cancelled that I would love to see some more of:
    Journeyman - Survived for 13 episodes on NBC
    Jericho - Was on for 2 seasons on CBS - only got the second season after fans sent 40,000 pounds of nuts to CBS HQ
    Awake - Survived for 13 episodes on NBC
    Pushing Daisies - Survived for two seasons on ABC; was an inadvertent casualty of the 2007 Writers Strike
    Eli Stone - This was a very quirky comedy that survived for two 13 episode seasons on ABC. Another Writers Strike casualty.

Shows from this season that I wish were not cancelled:
    Trophy Wife (ABC) - It was actually a decent sitcom on ABC. I normally don't like the ABC type of sitcom, but this was good. Great cast.

Almost Human (FOX) - It was very.. disjointed and aired almost entirely out of order, but I think if they had a second season, they would've been able to turn it around.

The Crazy Ones (CBS) - I know a lot of people can't stand Robin Williams and his.. boisterous energy, but I liked the ensemble on that show. It was an interesting cast and deserved a second season - at least 13 more episodes to see if it did decently in the ratings.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 30, 2014

Yep, I knew I forgot more! I liked it too.

I'm still watching (since day 1) & hoping it gets better.

26. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 30, 2014

All in the Family is my favorite show of all time. It changed the whole television industry forever.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 30, 2014

Bros... we Loved Eli Stone.
    Agree with Brothers & Sisters
    We were bummed about Smash as well!
    Long Time ago Loved American Dreams.

28. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 30, 2014

Yes!!! I also watched Dollhouse but it's not anywhere near as good. Everyone tells me to re-watch Buffy, and I've tried but just can't get over the cheezy special effects...

We don't have regular TV, just Netflix, so I am going crazy wanting to see the latest seasons of shows that aren't on Netflix yet...The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, even Downton Abbey...I am always a year (or more) behind!

I also never saw the last half-dozen episodes of Six Feet Under, which was the first series to renew my faith in TV. I know how it ends but still feel the need to see the ending, but it's not on Netflix and I always forget/am too lazy to actually rent it!

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 30, 2014

I heard Firefly was really good so maybe I'll check that out. I hope Revenge doesn't get cancelled! I wanted to see how the Lying Game played out so I'm kind of annoyed that it was cancelled but there are the books I can read if I really wanted to. I can't think of any others but a lot that you guys mentioned I never really watched or heard of.

30. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2014

I loved Lost.

31. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

May 30, 2014

Lost ;)
    I liked Heroes too, glad its coming back (so I guess it doesn't count) And Xfactor.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 30, 2014

We liked Heroes to....
    Also Believe is cancelled... liked that one....

33. bros

bros Phenom

May 30, 2014

You NEED to watch those last six episodes of Six Feet Under.

Though if you haven't seen it in a while, just marathon the series.

I'm watching Believe just to have some media to consume and it is a very uneven show - it would be better if they had decided in the pilot if they wanted to help one person a week, have the FBI chase after them OR have the orchestra plot

34. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 30, 2014

Loved Believe! I was so bummed that is was cancelled.

No one probably remembers this one, but we used to be into the Sarah Connor Chronicles a few years back. I was sad when that one was pulled, too.

Also....Heroes is coming back????

35. bros

bros Phenom

May 30, 2014

Yep. NBC ran out of ideas and decided to order a 13 episode run of Heroes using the original concept - where it would follow a different group of people each season.

36. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 30, 2014

I loved Whitney, but it seemed to just end.

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 30, 2014

M*A*S*H*

38. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 31, 2014

I also liked Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone and was sad to see those disappear...they were just quirky and different.

Most other shows that I really liked have ended after they've seemed to run their course, but I'm still sad to see them go.

I still really miss Monk.

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 31, 2014

I was such a Monk fanatic. I started reading the books when the show ended.

40. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

May 31, 2014

Could this be it? It looks like it actually aired for 8 episodes but the plot sounds fairly close to your description.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805668/

"The series is about two graduate students, Jay Burchell and Tyler Fog, who on a dare from their long time friend Will Traveler skate around a museum for a prank. After they leave the museum it explodes and the FBI are called in when it appears to be terrorist related. The two friends soon become suspects and it appears that Will set them up to make it look like they did the bombing. Fog and Jay tell the FBI about Traveler but they are told that no one called Will Traveler ever existed. The boys find they have no proof as they never have a clear photo of him as he always hide his face, and he never spoke of his home life. Realising that they only way to prove their innocence is to find Traveler and find out why he's trying to frame them, so they go looking for him and soon find themselves involved in a manhunt by the FBI."

41. bros

bros Phenom

May 31, 2014

Honestly, if you liked the visual style of Pushing Daisies, watch Hannibal.

Bryan Fuller runs it and it is absolutely beautiful.

It has some of the most violent content on TV without being distasteful. Some scene are utterly... disgusting without having an ounce of blood in them.