What's Your Cheating Policy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 20, 2013

What is your cheating policy?

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 20, 2013

Anything other than a test, I give an automatic 0 and a phone call home on first offense. I'm supposed to write an academic referral, but I save that for 2nd offense and beyond.

Cheating on a test would be an academic referral and a 0, but I know I'd have to let him make up a test, so I'd probably make him write an essay before the redo. I've never had that happen.

A quiz would stay a 0 until the day he graduated.

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 20, 2013

If you want to avoid a confrontation (and phone calls and everything that goes along with it), just mark it however you want - give him whatever score you want - and when you hand it back, if he complains, tell him you gave him a different quiz than the person he cheated off of....as in, the questions were in a different order. "There were two sets of quizzes passed out....."

(Of course, you can't do this if the questions are on the same paper as the answers they selected/wrote.)

What's he going to say, "But I copied so-and-so's paper and they got an 85!?"

;)

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 20, 2013

I would ask the school what their policy is. This way, should the family complain (AKA "get involved"), then you'll have administration's backing.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 20, 2013

First time-retake and 70% credit (teacher's decision) and documented in office.
    After that-almost always a zero and Saturday school

Homework is always a zero.

7. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 20, 2013

Retake the same quiz, or a different one?

8. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 20, 2013

Yeah, the questions are on the same paper as the answers.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2013

Automatic 0 in the district I taught in.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 20, 2013

It depends on what it was. Vocabulary is the same with the letters switched. There's no way to change that really. Essays are the same prompt. Most everything else I change.

I also forgot to mention-a 70% is a D- for us.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2013

Also, don't make it about "cheating"-- that's hard to prove.
    " communicating with another student despite warnings, looking at his neighbor's quiz, and rifling through his notes under the desk. He then took out a sheet of paper and wrote a quiz question on it. " All of that is a violation of the rules for behavior during a test or quiz. Whether or not he gave/got answers doesn't matter; he didn't follow procedures during a quiz.

12. fraudelong

fraudelong Rookie

Nov 20, 2013

This.

I had this happen a couple times last year - in one instance a student made a fuss, but all of the other ones knew what they did and worked with me. Keep your P in the loop at all times. When in doubt, CYA. There was one time I gave the student a zero. The rest, I was able to avoid an ordeal by moving them.

Also, check your district's policy in the handbook and don't do anything exceeding that.

13. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 20, 2013

A student who did any one of these in my class would get a 0 and a detention and maybe suspension for cheating. I have made very clear that any of those behaviors would be interpreted by me as an attempt to cheat, so if you do them, expect a 0. I am very specific and very clear, and I very rarely have any problems with cheating...maybe 5 times in my entire career. Only once have I been questioned by an administrator - he didn't back me, causing great problems with the parents. I went to the principal, and he backed me completely (and that administrator no longer works at our school.)
    We take cheating very seriously here. Looking around, communicating in any way, getting into a pocket or backpack, using a calculator to store forbidden information, writing on the arm or anything else, etc. is cheating. Period.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 20, 2013

Talking during the test, or even looking like your eyes are wandering means their test gets taken and they get a zero. I do let them make it up. I tell them they can come in on their lunch time and make it up or not. There are certain students who never come in after being caught cheating. *shrug* Their choice.