What's your budget?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, May 30, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 30, 2008

I know my school is giving everyone $300, in addition to money we'll be getting from the PTA. What I don't know is where we can spend it (I know many schools make you spend your money in one place, such as Lakeshore), or how much our PTA money will be. I'm assuming it'll be like $50 or something. Every little bit helps!

I also have been hoarding a $50 gift card from Lakeshore for more than a year now :) I don't know what to spend it on, so I just don't. Thank goodness it never expires!

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 30, 2008

We got $150 for next school year. :( I got three last year for being a new teacher. I wasn't able to get much with my $150, so most of it will come out of my pocket. However, last year (being my first) I kind of went crazy with my own money and really shouldn't need to buy much of anything this year. haha

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2008

What budget?!? :( As a high school teacher, we don't really have a PTA/PTO. Our entire Social Studies department budget is $100. Our department head LOVES scantrons so almost all of that money is used for scantrons that I don't even use. We can submit purchase orders for things we need but many times they are declined.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 30, 2008

Our department has a yearly budget of $20,000. We decide as a group what we wll buy every April for the next school year and replace a long list of consumables that we use every year. We can pretty much get whatever we want and since no teacher has her own classroom, we decorate as a group and follow a different theme every year. I would not have to ever spend a penny out of my pocket execpt I am bad about buying something that I think is cute or useful and them forgetting to get reimbersed.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 30, 2008

It's sad that an entire dept can have such a pitiful budget. $100 will get you nowhere :(

On the other hand, $20,000 sounds more like a million! Do you have to budget things like desks and chairs, too? Or is this only for stuff like paper and chemistry-stuff kits? :)

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 30, 2008

Wow, what a range. All I know is at my previous school we got $200 per year and vocational teachers got more. I think my new school gives $100. My friend technically gets $200 but her school takes $100 to buy paper and if she exceeds her allotted number of copies she has to buy the paper herself.

I spend quite a bit of my own money but I don't suppose I really have to. I'm an impulse shopper and I buy things I want or think I need. Most of the things I buy I could live without.

The thing I don't understand is why do teaching supplies have to be so expensive. A video in a teacher supply catalog is twice what I could buy it for elsewhere.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 30, 2008

We have 9 science teachers that each teach 5 classes. The $20,000 is only for materials for our classes. It does not include any paper execpt scantrons. We only pay for things to run our classes like microscopes but not desks and chairs. I am in a private school so that probably makes a difference.

9. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 30, 2008

We get $250 for the year. By the time I buy printer ink cartridges, the money is gone. I spend a lot out of my pocket, and I use Donors for other things. It takes a while for grants to be funded, but to me it is well worth it.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 30, 2008

Last year we each got $150. We didn't have to pay for general office supplies, i.e., paper, ink, staples, paper clips, etc.

We were also supplied with chart paper, markers/hilighters, etc.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2008

mine will be less than $300 since there are 8 of us but I don't know for sure.

12. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 30, 2008

I have to buy all our office supplies out of that too, our school doesn't supply anything.

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 30, 2008

$300 to spend wherever we wish. We don't have to spend it all in one place.

Plus $200.00 from our PTC, we submit reciets and our reimbursed.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2008

I guess I should have added I get unlimited amounts of office supplies - tape, paper clips, file folders, post-it notes, staples, ink for my printer, etc . . . and can make unlimited number of copies. What I don't get - laminating, colored paper, markers, colored pencils, pens, pencils, larger sized paper, glue sticks, construction paper

15. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

May 30, 2008

In previous years we have gotten $100 per classroom to spend at one place (our choice). This coming year we are going to a site based budget. They have taken away our automatic $100, but we were able to fill out POs for what we thought we would need. We had to provide justification for the purchases. Our office/student supplies (paper clips, draft books, pencils, etc) come from the district warehouse and are available on a limited basis. I'm not sure how that will change with the site based budget. We do get unlimited copies and laminating (while supplies last). The big problem I have this year is that I'm changing grade levels and I don't know what the last teacher left for me or if she ordered what I might need for next year. I'm going to try to go next week and look in the room and see if they will let me put in an order still. Even if they will I don't know if I'll get what I need before school starts. I always end up spending a lot of my own money anyway.

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 31, 2008

We get $500 for materials, which excludes any supplies like paper, markers, etc. Those are available from the office and the students also have a supply list for any supplies we would like them to purchase. We also get $500 for field trips.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 31, 2008

We are in the midst of a budget crunch, so probably will get 175 or less. Thinking I will buy some copy paper, and see what is left :)

18. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

May 31, 2008

Last year, we didn't get anything. This year, we're thrilled with $100! We are given 3 reams of paper per month and 1000 copies. As for basic supplies- paper clips, overhead markers, construction paper, etc. -occasionally the "supply room" has what you're looking for. Or maybe more like "rarely".