What's your best art lesson?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by 100%Canadian, Aug 24, 2009.

1. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I tend to have a variety of good art lessons in my arsenal, but I've moved back up to grade 6 from 5 last year; half of my class will be the same students so I need to find some new and interesting art activities. I have plenty, but I've used up a lot of my favourites already. Can anyone suggest anything that they (or their students) really enjoyed for this age group?

My personal favourite is making 3-D mazes with index cards. Every year it's the one activity that I definitely participate in by making my own. I found the 5s didn't have as much patience with it though.

A popular one among my students over the years is designing your own brand of soda/pop. Lots of room for creativity and we follow it up with some drama in the form of commercials for the drink. The kids really get into it.

So, anyone else our there got something they'd be willing to share?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

I saw a couple of neat ones at a workshop I was at last week--I'll try to explain my favourite with some clarity. (Some technology is required) I'll be doing this with grade 8s this year.

Emotion Portraits

1. Discuss how our face and bodies show different emotions--anger, happiness, etc. Practice some, trying to have hands close to face (you'll see why in a minute).
    2. Once everyone has their a pose in mind, take a digital photo of them demonstrating their emotion--a shot that includes face, shoulders and arms is best.
    3. Print photos (printing fast quality in greyscale is fine) and then copy onto an overhead transparency.
    4. Using overhead, enlarge image in fill the centre half (or so) of a piece of 18 x 12 paper.
    5. Trace onto paper, small details aren't important--outlines of head, shoulders, arms, hands, and facial features are what's important.
    6. Students use bright colours to paint (abstract style) the background and their portrait.

4. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 25, 2009

I love both of these ideas. Could you tell me more about the 3-D mazes? That sounds like something I could do with my advisory groups.

I wish I ahd more ideas for you, but it is 5am and Im not really thinking yet this morning. I'll try to revisit when I'm awake :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2009

Here's another; this one uses Photoshop (which we have on our school board network):

Still Life:
    1. Each student brings in a collection of 5-7 objects that define them (for example my daughter would likely take: her cell phone, a soccer ball, her goalie gloves, a basketball medal)
    2. Arrange the objects into a "still life" on a desk and take a digital photo.
    3. Upload to Photoshop and, using the tools, create 4 or 6 variations of the photo, all with different effects.
    4. When printed, arrange in a grid on a black background.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 26, 2009

I can't say this is the best I've got, but it's what we are doing tomorrow. Each student will make a personal flag to hang in their room at home or on the bedroom door. We will look at examples of flags from different countries and discuss colors, shapes, designs, etc. The each student will create a "flag" to reperesent him or herself.

A huge favorite I won't be able to use this year (I'm in the same boat as the OP) is the name explosions. Give each child a piece of white const. paper that is 18X12. Have the students write thier names in bubble letters that all connect or touch/overlap at some point. Color the letters in. Then choose two different colors that go well with the original color. With one of these, trace a line around the outside of the letters following all countours about 1/4 inch from the edges of the letters. Color this in with color #2. Do the same again with color #3 tracing around the outer edges of the layer made by color #2 about 1/4 of and inch and color it in. Then pick ou color #1 and make another layer of color outside that last layer and so on and so on. Keep going until the entire page is filled with lines and color.

Here is the best part. The names do NOT have to be made of perfectly rounded bubble letters. I use bubble letters for my example, but as long as the letters are 2D and all connected somehow, they can be made anyway. I have had kids make letters that were tall and skinny, really fat, even a few that used lightning bolts. If you have two students with the same or similar names, they different creations are wonderful to see. This lesson is perfect for talking about the elements of line and color.

7. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 27, 2009

To bonteach (and anyone else interested):
    I found the 3-D mazes project in a Scholastic resource called "Art Projects Middle School Kids Will Love". I started to write out the steps of what to do but you really need all the dimensions and illustrations to make it clear. The resource itself has many excellent projects for grades 6-8 so I'd recommend buying it.

MrsC, where in Ontario are you located?

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

About half an hour north of Toronto.

9. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 30, 2009

Thanks Canadian! I will look it up!

10. Regina

Regina New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Tri fold a piece of paper and have everyone draw a face on the top. Fold to hide and pass to the next person to draw the mid section of a body (or not). Make sure the first person left some marks so the second drawer will know where to start from. Then again fold to hide and pass to the third (and last) person to draw the legs or bottom part. Open it up and see what the finished picture will look like. You can do this with words as well. It's called exquisite corpse and it's wonderful to play with a class.

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 9, 2010

Have you ever heard of Artsonia? It's a great place to search out art lessons AND start an online art portfolio for your kids. Best part about it, if parents purchase any items with their child's art, your school gets 15% of the sale to use on art supplies. My school just started this year and so far the response has been very positive. www.artsonia.com