What's your behavior plan/class management routine?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Mrs. Rader, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Mrs. Rader

Mrs. Rader Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

There are so many decisions that need to be made when it comes to outlining your behavior plan. What systems have you used? What do you find works best? Have you made any new plans you are going to try this year?

I am going to try something new with my class management this year. Again, I will be using a reward system based on positive behavior and achievement.

Passports:
    Each student will have their own passport book. Inside, they will receive stamps for a job well done. I haven't decided yet if I will make these or buy something in place of them. I need to get that lined out...

• one stamp each day (if they had good behavior and worked well)
    • going out of your way to help a classmate
    • turning in your homework and make up work on time
    • extra reading outside of class

15 Stamps = wear a hat to class (silly hat)
    30 Stamps = bonus computer time
    45 Stamps = silly shoes/socks day (can wear slippers in class)

Class Stamp Board: For each day that ALL students get their passport stamped for good behavior, the class board will also receive a stamp! Rewards will be earned for the entire class.

15 Class Stamps = popcorn and movie
    30 Class Stamps = game day
    45 Class Stamps = pizza

***Note: I work at a private school. We have a half day scheduled for each Friday to allow planning time. I use my Fridays to give tests and make-up work from the previous week. It is also useful for a reward day when they earn it. :D

3. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 19, 2014

I'm trying ClassDojo this year. Students will be able to earn points and I'm going to have a catalog with different no-buy prizes, like no homework, sitting with a friend for a day, etc. Still not sure how often I'm going to let students use up their points, but to start out with I'll probably do it each Friday during PAT time.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 20, 2014

I explicitly teach routines, rules and procedures at the beginning of the year. Then if someone has a hard time following routines and procedures they practice until they do it right. If they break a rule I follow up with a logical consequence. If rules continue to be broken then I get parents involved and in extreme cases I create an individualized behavior plan.

For whole class I have a marble jar - when everyone is on task I add marbles and when the jar is full we celebrate as a class.

5. NorthStar4512

NorthStar4512 Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I love this idea about passports... really like it. Thanks!

6. NorthStar4512

NorthStar4512 Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I also like that the students are responsible for maintaining it - so I do not have to keep records.

7. mrs.whatsit

mrs.whatsit Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

I use a point system in my class. In the beginning of the year I create characteristics like Grit, Respect and Curiosity that I want my students to leave my room practicing and then I break those characteristics into specific behaviors that I want to see in my students. So, under Respect I would have behaviors like Following Directions, Making Places Better and Working Hard. I explain to my students that during class they can earn points for showing those positive behaviors. I also let them know that when they do not follow those positive behavior choices they will earn a demerit. As the points add up, I send home a report on Fridays to my student's parents showing them the behavior and academic report for the week. The parents sign the report and on mondays I collect the reports and "deposit" them into student "bank accounts." As the points add up over the weeks my students can earn things from my classroom store like a pencil, eating lunch with the teacher or a lunch movie. My students are really engaged in learning and behavior turned around because I was clear and consistent with the system! Its awesome when you start hearing students talk about how they earned a point for making places better or telling you how another student deserves a point for working well in a group! The hard part is tracking and executing the system. I would recommend searching for apps that allow you to track behavior and incentives.

8. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 3, 2014

I like the idea but I'd make it two stamps per day - morning and afternoon. We do morning and afternoon check-in. I've done single reward/recognition and changed to two per day. Kids may have a terrific morning and then bomb in the afternoon. They need a chance to do well and just once per day doesn't work for everyone.

9. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

This is interesting - could this work with something other than points you think like a hole punch card?

Also how do you teach the different characteristics? Is there a sign in the room for reminders. I really like the grit, respect, and curiosity.

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

My first year I didn't have one. I naively assumed the kids would behave because they were in 8th grade.
    Second year I had like 14 boys and 5 girls. None of the boys liked reading. Nothing I tried worked except free laptop time. Thank god for laptops! I was able to use them as leverage.

Now I'm at to combination of no Fug Fridays/ dot system.

11. imissjerryg

imissjerryg Rookie

Sep 12, 2014

I use a reward system and try to only focus on on-task and positive behavior. If a student is acting up, say he keeps poking the student next to him, I reward all of the students who are on task by handing them a blank strip of an index card, which they write their name on and put into a bin, while praising them for doing exactly the opposite of what the off-task student is doing: "Thank you for keeping your hands to yourself." Then at the end of each class period, I draw a name and that student gets a level one prize (a dum dum sucker, gumball, jolly rancher, etc.) Most of the time, the off task student immediately ceases the problem behavior because they want that prize! And these are high school students, granted they are students with significant support needs. Also, I keep all of the names in the bin except those I have already drawn. At the end of the day, I draw one more name and that student gets a level two prize (a mini candy bar or cool eraser). And at the end of the week, I draw a name out of the bin and that person gets a level three prize (a mini honey bun, a squeeze it juice, a small puzzle, a coloring book, etc.) Also I have some index card strips with blue stars on them (just a few per 150-200 cards). If a student gets a blue star, they get lunch on me from a nearby fast food place. Funny story though... This week somehow I had four kids in one day draw cards with blue stars even though I had about 200 pieces of paper and only about 10 with blue stars... I mixed them up too. I have no idea how that happened haha!