"What's wrong with that teacher?"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2008

Sigh.

Well, yesterday I was trying to contact one of my parents. It was a crazy day and I needed to get in contact, while teaching my class (half day kinder). I kept getting a busy signal or one of those messges that this is a number that is not in service anymore. So, I told my parnter teacher and she said she'll see what she can do. She went into the office and had the secretary call. She got the family on the first ring. Then she told my partner teacher, "what is wrong with that teacher?" Apparenlty, I was dialing 99 instead of 9 before the phone number. At my last school it was 99 and I guess I just forgot and got confused.

So, does anyone else think that comment was really rude? Yes, I made a mistake, but why say in the office, where P and AP works and where students and parents could be in there and say, "what's wrong with so and so?"

:( I already feel like a stranger at this new school.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2008

I ask dumb questions all the time- I am glad I am not at your school!

I am sorry you have to work with those type of people!

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

Sometimes, that comment (depending on the tone) could be made in jest.

5. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 11, 2008

What did your partner teacher say when this comment was made? Did the secretary actually say that? It kind of disturbs me that she had to mention this comment to you.

If you need to put it to a rest for yourself, go into the office and make a joke about it. As mentioned by sarge, it might have been a comment made in jest.

Your a new teacher and the first year is hard, but if you are feeling like a stranger, make yourself more outgoing to staff and faculty. Maybe bring the secretary in a donut or cup of coffee and just say thanks for helping you out yesterday. Mention that in your last school there was a different way to make outside calls and out of habit you reverted back to their way.

My guess would be that it has already been forgotten by the secretary.

Kris

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2008

I'm not a first year teacher (this is my fourth year teaching). Just new to this school. And I'm not having a hard year, it's going pretty well, actually. I'm just annoyed that, one, she had to make this comment in a public environment that could've been heard by the P or the AP. I want to make a good impression with them if I want to continue to work in this district. I'm only on a temp contract. Two, I find that whether the comment was made as a joke or not, I still find it VERY unprofessional.

You're right, though. She may have forgotten about it. But, that's because she wasn't the one who was embarrassed. :rolleyes:

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2008

Maybe it is just my personality but I would not take it so seriously. It was my first year in the district last year (after many years of teaching), every time I had to open up IEP online I could never remember my username and/or password. I had to contact the secretary and when she was busy I had to phone the IEP online people. This happened about 6 times last year. My secretary still jokes about it and has even mentioned it during staff meeting in front of over 20 other people. I just laugh about it and joke around telling everyone that the secretary was going into the system and changing my password and usernames!!

You don't know who was in the office when secretary made the comment, nor if anyone besides the other teacher heard her. Also, in your quote that the secretary used doesn't have your name in it, so anyone who overheard won't know which teacher she was talking about.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 11, 2008

We've all asked "Duh" questions. I know I do. The tech guy (our guru who fixes all things electrical) probably thinks I'm either retarded or that I just enjoy wasting his time, because I generally try to do it and fail, shoot him an e-mail and then figure it out before he can reply and then shoot him another e-mail telling him that I figured it out and no longer require assistance. In fact, I no longer receive replies from him the day I send e-mail requests. He always shows up the second day, lol.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2008

Peachy I would let it go. We teach kindergarten there has to be something wrong with us hahaha.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2008

Did you hear her say it? Or are you getting it second hand?

It's entirely possible that she was misquoted, or in the middle of an incredibly hard day and just let her emotions get the worst of her.

I say let it go. We've all said things we've regretted.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2008

Forgive me for sounding overly critical, but I REALLY HATE that expression!!

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

Last year I was new to my school & I had no idea how to work the phone or even turn on the computer (stupid Mac has a button in the back that is flush with the back). Luckily everyone was really nice about it. :whistle: I would let it go unless you hear remarks made directly about you. I think sometimes new people are targeted in a building. :hugs:

13. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 11, 2008

I understand what you mean, but I don't use the term retarded to refer to the developmentally challenged or learning disabled because they work hard and they deserve to be treated with respect. I use retarded to describe idiots who are half-a$$ing it and can do better but chose not to.

14. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

I'm sorry that you had to find that out. But really, your partner teacher shouldn't even have mentioned it to you. There are some things better kept unsaid. What good does it do you to know that she said that?

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2008

:hijack:Kindergarten teachers should be paid triple what any other teacher is paid. You are held high in my book. My mom taught kinder for many years and I was in middle school at the time and would be exhausted by the time I would leave her classroom. My own 3 children being so close in age that I switched from lower elementary right up to juniors and seniors in high school and physics and chemistry. I would drive myself bonkers with that many little children at one time. My hubby would laugh because every year as an end of the year gift to one of my childrens kinder we would give a $ 200.00 gift card to the nicest restatrant in town.:sorry:

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 11, 2008

Some secretaries (doctor's receptionists, school secretaries, and people who sit at desks in general) tend to be rude. Don't feel alienated; you're excellent. Also, there's good old me... the klutz, ditz, and absentminded one of all. I have one of the worst short term memories (but one of the greatest long term ones) ever. I wouldn't survive at your school, but you'll do fine. As long as there isn't an overall rude atmosphere.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2008

:lol: I had to ask one of my 2nd grade students how to turn on an imac this year! I then had to ask him to show me how to get to the internet:whistle:.

18. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 12, 2008

My thoughts exactly!

19. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 12, 2008

:eek:you might want to be careful with that generalization. Rudeness doesn't belong to any particular profession.

20. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 12, 2008

A comment like this does not reflect badly on you. It only reflects badly on the person making the comment. It makes her sound unprofessional, unhelpful, and intolerant of other people. It sounds like maybe that secretary was having a bad day, maybe making a joke, maybe just all around crabby.

Most important thing you can do - let it go!!! She clearly made a mistake. Forgive, forget, and move on. Don't be as intolerant of her mistakes as she was of yours.

21. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2008

Don't worry about it -- it was probably just an innocent comment.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 12, 2008

Hilarious! Last summer I went to my college computer lab and they had iMacs. I didn't know how to get on the internet either. I had no idea "Safari" was an internet browser. I consider myself very computer literate but not in this case. Recently I just bought an iMac. Once I got to know it, I loved it.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 12, 2008

I got a new blackberry pearl recently. My 8th grade homeroom had to teach me how to use it.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2008

There's nothing innocent about it. The secretary is the first person most people see upon entering a school building. Secretaries should be professional and pleasant in their interactions (as we all should be- we have a VERY public profession!) In my school there are often parents, students, other teachers in the office at most times so a comment like this would be heard by everyone within earshot... It's not professional, it's not innocent...

I think I'd go to the secretary and say "Thanks for helpling to get in contact with that family next week. I'm sure you can appreciate that some procedures here are different than in my last school. Thank you for your patience while I continue to acclimate myself here." Of course with the sweetest smile...and then let it go.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2008

Exactly! That's exactly how I felt. I don't care what her intentions were for saying it, the fact that she said it at all was really rude. There is ALWAYS someone in the office. We have an AP, a P, nurse, counselor, three office workers, and then the students, aides, etc. And being new to this school district (especially after what happened to me last year) all I want to do is make a really good impression so that I will get rehired.

I will let it go, but I"m going to have to be SOOOOO careful about who to go to if I have problems, and that's really no one at this school. :( BLEH! :rolleyes:

26. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 12, 2008

That sounds like something that would happen at my school! This is my first year and if you read my posts you will see what a rough year I am having. I have some of the rudest people at my school. Among all the other things that have happened on Friday we had a field trip. Well teachers have to go to the cafeteria and get milk for the bag lunches I had my cooler on the floor well the other teachers got there before me so I had to put my to the side. A parent of mine came up to me and was talking about her child and how she was worried b/c her child has never been on a out of town field trip and letting me know her child tends to wander off. I was trying to ease her mind when the custodian is yelling to me "you can't but that(the cooler) there move it"! then I placed in on the table and the lady who makes copies said "you need to move that now! This is where the children eat breakfast" Umm I am quite aware of where the kids eat breakfast lady!! The kids start at another table so I had a good 10 mins before the kids would begin to sit at that table. I am trying to talk to a parent and I have these people yelling at me for stupid stuff! I cant do anything right! I swear.

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2008

Wow! I wonder if they would've yelled at a teacher who's worked there for years and years...... Anyways, I'm sorry you are working at a school like that. :( It's so tough to be the new one. At my last school, on my first day, the office manager took me on a tour of the school and introduced me to the staff. She showed me how to use the copy machines and gave me my own number. At this school, I have yet to be formally introduced to everyone and have asked three times for my own copy machine number. Plus, my cubby in the office still has the other teacher's name on it. They said that they were going to put my name on it when I first stared.

Oh well, I guess I'm just getting things off of my chest. I plan to have lunch with the teachers from my last school. It will be so nice to be with them again and just talk. I can only vent so much to my husband, you know? Plus, it's also nice to vent on this site, or else I would go crazy.

I think because I already felt out of place at this school and not at home and really welcomed, hearing what the secretary said was like the last straw. Normally, I wouldn't have cared, but with everything else.....

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2008

I think I would have said to the crazy people in the lunchroom- "I'm sorry I'm having an important discussion with a parent right now. I'm sorry if my ice box is causing you some problems. I'll move it when I'm done or if you need that space right now please feel free to move it to a more convenient location." :whistle:

29. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 12, 2008

I know I was thinking the same thing....I just want to sit in my classroom all day with my students and avoid all adults!

30. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 12, 2008

Forget About It. It was probably said at the spur of the moment and no matter what it doesn't affect your relationship with your students in any way.Don't get stressed over it.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2008

It still bothers me that:
    a) this story is hearsay. You weren't in the room

b) your "partner" felt in necessary to tell you. Seriously, what was achieved by telling you, other than stirring up trouble and hard feelings??

I would tread very carefully around this "partner" in the future. I'm not sure I would trust her.

32. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Oct 12, 2008

This would really bother me if I were the one in the situation, but since I'm not, I'll give you the advice my friends have given me in similar situations - Try to let it go.

If you bring it up to the secretary, it might make things more awkward between you. I'm pretty sure she's not thinking about it anymore, but if you mention it on Monday, it will be clear you'd been thinking about it over the weekend. If she just made a thoughtless joke, not intending to hurt you, she might end up feeling like she can't joke with you. Or, she may feel like a total jerk and become defensive.
    Would you be justified in saying something? Sure. But I've been seen as the "sensitive" girl at times in my life, and I didn't like it. I felt alienated as a result.

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2008

I totally agree Alice!!

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2008

a) You are right that this is all hearsay, and I do not plan on talking to the secretary or anyone about this (just you guys :)) I got this off my chest.

b) I also have started to not completely trust her. I like her, but there is something about her that I do not feel comfortable about.... she's made comments that made me think twice... She is also very possessive of my class and talks to them as if she is their teacher, which I really dislike (but that is another story...) Anyways, I still like her, but like you said, will be careful when around her. Thanks everyone. My husband agrees that what the secretary said was rude, why did my partner teacher even bother telling me this, that I should not bring this up with anyone at school, and that I should just let it go. I agree. Thanks everyone. :)

35. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Oct 12, 2008

Peachyness,

I know what you are going through! I am at a new school this year, in a different state after teaching for a nujmber of years. They do things differently than what I am used to. I have made some mistakes and have been able to easily correct them. However, one day during recess one of my students bit a student on the playground and ended up getting in school suspension, so his parent had to be contacted. Well, in the beginning of the year we were responsible for keeping all of the emergency info cards the students were sending from home, but I never turned them in to the office like I was supposed to after we got most of them in. So they were in there trying to find the contact info. I felt like an idiot, but I really didn't realize I had not completed the task to turn them in to the office. Noone was outwardly rude or anything, but the next day the school nurse came to see if I was "all right." So obviously, a conversation occured between her and the secretary about me and the mistake I made. I felt awkward, but I just let it go. I e-mailed the secretary to thank her for her help in correcting the situation and nothing else came of it except that I am making sure I have everything done as it's supposed to be. I just am asking lots of questions so I don't miss anything else too major! Even though I am not a new teacher, I am still *new* to the school and district.

36. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Oct 12, 2008

If it was meant in jest: Oh, well. Not exactly funny stuff, in my opinion, but everyone has a different sense of humor.

If it was meant otherwise: rise above it and be glad that at least you know how to behave professionally.