What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 20, 2014

I had a long term substitute aide position interview last week (for Aug-December). The district stated that they fill in these positions with day to day substitute teachers.

I thought the interview went well. I got an email stating I didn't get it.
    Even though I will start to be a day-to-day sub there this school year, I'm taking it pretty hard. The job requirements were a high school diploma and I obviously had more then that (masters degree/dual certified, 2 yrs experience) . You can't say I was overly qualified because they said the always put people who are going to be sub teachers in sub aide positions.

I don't know if I'm just stress or frustrated that I can't get anything. This email just killed my soul. It really did. What's wrong with me? Am I not good enough for anything now? I'm trying not to cry. I just can't believe it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

I just want to give you :hugs: I know the email was a blow to you. I remember getting those plenty of times.

There's nothing wrong with you! :)

Sometimes it's just not about you and just what they seem to want for whatever reason. Maybe something better will come up for you during the time you would have had the LTS.

4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

Chin up! You will make more subbing anyway.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

:hugs: I know this hurts. I've been down that road and it's not pleasant. Just know that there will be something better out there for you. Good luck!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

Could be they think you are overqualified to be a sub for an aide and they want to keep you for subbing for teachers?

Try to keep up your positive attitude!

7. smalltowngal

Aug 20, 2014

I agree with this.

8. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Just out of curiosity what is your dual certification in? I am finishing grad school (one more year left) and also live in Pennsylvania. It is insanely hard to get a teaching offer in this state and have been trying since 2008. Also have subbed in three different townships... Nothing.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

:hugs: Hang in there. I know it is hard.

10. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

I know exactly how you feel. This summer I applied to countless aide and parapro positions.(My cert will be completed in April). I have a BA in English Lit, MA Teaching ESL. With 2 years subbing and 5 years teaching university, I thought I could at least get an interview. After SO MANY hours painstakingly filling out apps, I heard nothing. Zilch. No rejection emails. Not even the email that tells people "hey at least we received your stuff". From ANYONE. I felt like a complete failure. I was the star of my own pity party for a bit, but then I had to pick myself back up and shake it off.

It's ok to feel crappy for a bit after having an experience like yours. It's only natural. But you can't internalize it and think that there is anything is wrong with you. The system sucks. The whole process sucks. But you have something to offer that definitely doesn't suck, and the moment you and the right opportunity find each other you'll be thankful that you didn't settle for anything else along the way.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2014

Can I ask the op why not just apply for teaching positions? I know at our school, they wouldn't hire a teacher qualified candidate to be an aide because they would want to save them for teacher subs.

12. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

I'm certified in both Elementary/Special Education. A professor told me PA is going to be urging teachers to have more then one certification area.

13. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

I def. have applied for teaching positions, hundreds of them, but districts around where I live pick from their sub pool for candidates.

14. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 21, 2014

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm hoping this happened because God has something bigger in stored! Good luck everyone!

15. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

I know exactly how you are feeling, I really do :(
    I job searched for 4 years and each rejection truly did major damage to my spirit and my self-esteem. But, please know: there is NOTHING wrong with you! This just wasn't meant to be. Keep applying and gain experience from day-to-day subbing. Start the job search early next year. You will land something and it will be GREAT!
    Good Luck!

16. smalltowngal

Aug 21, 2014

I know the feeling. I gave 3 years to my home district by volunteering, subbing, tutoring, and then as an aide. I received interviews for teaching positions, but was never hired. Then when I became a diag, I interviewed with them. I had my certification; however, they went with someone who was already employed with the district who was a full year behind me in the program. The right job is out there. Continue to gain experience and you will find that job!

17. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 22, 2014

Thanks for the support!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2014

What is a diag? Have never heard that term.

19. SummerAV

SummerAV New Member

Aug 23, 2014

I was told by the PA department of education that schools won't even look at you without a dual certification.

20. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 23, 2014

I wouldn't be surprised. I know the top ranked schools def are going for dual certification as well as teachers with master degrees.