What's Working?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., May 13, 2020.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 13, 2020

Just curious what others are doing to feel some success with teaching during Covid. Among other things, I've been sending out little video clips and using Goggle classroom to allow my 4th graders to respond.

How do you design your lessons? What software do you use? What seems to be working? We are all in this together, and I thought other teachers would like to see what's working.

So far I have 5 students who seem to have not turned in anything. These are my most fragile kids. Talked to 2 of them on the phone, but they have so little parental support, I'm not holding out hope of getting them back.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2020

I'm using Google Classroom, posting the entire week's lessons on Monday morning for the kids to work through at their own pace. The guidelines we were given are for 10 hours of work/week for my Grade 7s. (It's 5 hours/week for the students up to Grade 6). Some of my students do all of the work on Monday and Tuesday, while some do it over the weekend. I have set "office hours" each day when the kids know that I'll be available to answer private comments or emails immediately. In reality, I'll answer at any time of day if I can.

I've started using Screencastify for some of my mini-lessons, use some Kahoot challenges and will be using Jamboard and Padlet next week. I've tried to encourage the kids to collaborate on some of the math that we are doing, but that hasn't happened.

I have about 8 of my 29 students who have done either nothing or next to nothing. I continue to reach out, but beyond that there's not much I can do.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 13, 2020

Are you finding that you need to water down your content in order to make it more approachable? For example, if you would normally expect an hour lesson to include some lecture or experiment, discussion, independent practice, and finally assignment. You just do the lecture and assignment.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2020

I'm keeping it pretty light and working to cover the key concepts. My focus is on teaching the lesson--either through Screencastify, videos or text, then independent practice and some sort of "product". We are providing feedback only on work; final marks are going to be based on work done prior to March 13, which was our last day before closing down.

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 14, 2020

My school is rural and poor SES. Most of the children do not have internet access at home as some don’t have computers. So my remote teaching has been relegated to scanning pages from a textbook, uploading into the Remind app, and hoping the students have access to a parent’s phone to view the assignment. And when the kids found out the work wasn’t being graded, they stopped logging in. There will be a major learning gap across all grades when the students return. I hope the district or school or both have some type of remediation plan because they mostly will not be ready for their Spring 2021 tests!

7. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

May 15, 2020

Any delay in face-to-face schooling next year will cancel testing again imo.

bella84 likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Devotee

May 15, 2020

And instruction will have to be consistent. Some students doing online and some doing packets will not work next year. Every student will have to have access to internet and technology even if Covid-19 disappeared tomorrow because you never know what the next disruption will be.

otterpop likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 15, 2020

What are classes like science doing where they don't have access to lab equipment? I can just picture kitchen's being blown up with experiments gone wrong LOL

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 15, 2020

I am using Google Classroom. I’m required to post a daily announcement with a to do list. Some students read it, and they are supposed to because it contains important info, but I’ve found they’re more likely to do the work if an assignment is created in Google Classroom that they have to submit. If something on the to do list requires going to another website, such as twenty minutes practice on something that I can check, they often skip it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  11. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 15, 2020

So sad for your students. A friend of mine who teaches on an Indian reservation has internet equipped school busses parking where some kids can get a signal, but it's slow and many families have little knowledge on how to use the school-supplied chrome books.