What's the trick to emailing principals?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by curiouslystrong, Jul 18, 2012.

1. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jul 18, 2012

Also posted this in the "did emailing principals get you an interview?" thread, but figured I'd probably get more of a response starting a thread of my own, so. As always, TIA - I don't know what I'd do without this board!

For those who have sent out several emails to principals, what's the trick to being so prolific with your messages? I truly don't understand how people are legitimately coming up with figures like "30 letters yesterday!" or "67 emails in the past 24 hours!" I think I have a pretty good framework for my letters, but in order to work in why I'm a good fit and what about a school impresses me, I feel like it's important to spend a certain amount of time doing research and thoughtfully wording a personalized message. I just sent out two emails to a school - one to the principal, the other to the department chair (they were not carbon copies of one another) - and it took me something like an hour to produce a polished version of each.

What do I need to do to become more efficient at writing these? Please feel free to throw any ideas and suggestions you have at me!

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2012

When I was emailing principals most of the information could be used for any school. One of my paragraphs was specific to the school. I just went in and edited that paragraph for each email or cover letter.

4. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jul 18, 2012

That's basically what I'm doing - I have a standard opening, standard closing, and then, depending on whether I'm going with the minimalist method or the more comprehensive method, a sentence or two to a paragraph that is specific to the school. The problem is that it takes time for me to a) do more than just surface-level research of the school (i.e. I don't want to just parrot their mission/vision back at them), and b) thoughtfully word this part of the email. I want to be able to cut down on the time that this process takes without sacrificing "quality," I guess.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

Last year I started sending out emails to principals in early August. The email was generic, listing my credentials and strengths as a candidate, but not tailored to each specific school. That ended up leading to a job.

My advice is to really work on each cover letter to schools with a known opening, but also come up with a strong generic letter to send out to more or less en masse to many other schools.

Good luck with your job hunt.

6. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

I did the same. The schools were all in the same district, and the district website gave me a good idea of what values and demographics I was looking at...then each school webpage had a mission statement or motto and it took probably 5-10 minutes of browsing to properly tailor the first paragraph. The body was the same, and the closing just needed the school name changed. So I was able to email 10 schools in about an hour.

7. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 19, 2012

I tried to keep my emails shorter and to the point: express my interest, provide a short summary of my qualifications and experience, and ask for the opportunity to share more in an interview.

More or less it was my cover letter in a shorter form. Looking back, I think I was justifying this by thinking that principals probably get a ton of these emails. I thought that they might not feel as inspired to read a long narrative as they would a quick snapshot of me as an educator.

Of all of the schools I contacted in this way, I did not do so until I had already put in a formal application through the county website (I always mentioned this as well as an invitation to look up my application). My success rate as far as receiving further communication was rather good- looking back, I think only one school didn't contact me.

Oh, and, if I couldn't find an email address for a principal, I used their "contact me" form on the website -- this is actually what I did for the school I have accepted a position at. It felt silly to be asking for a job in a little box on school website, but, hey, it worked!

Good luck :) I hope something from all of this rambling might be helpful.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

I looked at SIPs and brought up a way that I could help them achieve their goals.

9. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 19, 2012

I was the person with 67 e-mails. I tailored the first paragraph, but everything else was the same in each cover letter. I streamlined my research by focusing on areas I really would pursue in a school. I spent my time researching extracurricular programs, mission statement, and demographics. Once I knew what to look for, it went quickly. It takes a long time, so it wasn't like 67 in one hour. I stayed up nights.

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 20, 2012

Use your cover letter as the email. I think that is the only way to give them a good impression of who you are. I was sending out emails with my cover letter, resume, and references attached, but I don't think the principals were even looking at them.

Tuesday I sent a principal an email where the body was my cover letter and my resume was attached. Got a call today for an interview on the 25th. Make sure your cover letter is personal though, don't send out a "form letter" so to speak.

11. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

THis is really good info. I have used the short one paragraph of about 5 sentences and attach JUST my resume. I also mention that I have already submitted my app to the district.

I worked on making every single word count without going thesaurus crazy.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 21, 2012

Here is a silly question: would you send an email to a principal if you don't see any job posting for that district?
    there is a school district here, where I subbed for the past 2 years, and I have a pretty good reputation in their middle schools. Most or all of the principal would probably remember me. Should I send them en email? there are no job postings for what I'm qualified for.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2012

Yes, Lingquist, absolutely!!!!!

There could be an email in that pricnipal's box right now containing a resignation!!

14. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

YES! I just moved to a new state and was having no luck in my job search. I was applying to the schools with postings and getting rejection letters in the mail. I started emailing schools randomly and got an interview last week. This job isn't even posted yet!

My interview went very well and I feel like I have a chance at getting this job. You really need to put yourself out there to get an interview.