What's the scoop on OpenEd & GoogleClassroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecialPreskoo, Oct 21, 2015.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2015

I got an email about it and I'm not familiar with it. Anyone use them? Give me the scoop! :D

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 21, 2015

I'm following, too. I've been using some of the Google apps for me, but interested in learning more.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 21, 2015

OpenEd is a collection of CommonCore aligned lessons and activities. https://www.opened.com/ GoogleClassroom and OpenEd are now synced. Easier access for students.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 21, 2015

OpenEd is awesome possum (that's the phrase I use when I really like something).

Many teachers at my site are using it.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 22, 2015

Google Classroom is a learning management system.

You can assign work from this platform, collect work, grade work, comment on work, pose questions, email all students, make announcements to students, and simply use it to organize your digital/online lessons.

It's very simple, and much simpler than the common currently used systems, it works with Google Apps which many schools are now converting to to give their students school email addresses, and access to Google applications like Drive and Docs.

In addition, it's now able to be connected to hundreds of online programs and applications so that you can assign work automatically from certain websites that are not a part of Google. For instance, I can assign pre-made digital TinkerCAD assignments to my students with the click of a button (so they can make 3D models online).

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 22, 2015

Do you know if there is a way to make about 10 questions that require students to type in short answers for the questions online? Using google survey is horrible, unless I am doing it wrong.

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 23, 2015

In Google Classroom, you could create an assignment that includes a PDF that students can download, annotate, and send back to you. Or you could create an assignment that includes a Google Doc that students edit.

You could also set up a Google Form (I think that is what you meant by survey) and create an assignment with the link to it, and it's relatively easy. The answers go to a spreadsheet for easy grading. I've created self-grading quizzes this way. I'm not sure what you're experiencing to make it horrible, so let me know what's happening and I'll see if I can help.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 23, 2015

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but the spread sheet was horrible to read and correct the short answers. It was hard to read the question and then the student response, I just want it to look exactly like the form when they answered the questions.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 23, 2015

Well, Google Forms will allow you to ask the questions and it will put them in a spread sheet.

They have add-ons (Flubaroo) which will automatically grade for you too. It's not an ideal solution because the back-end (the spreadsheet) doesn't look great and you need excel experience, but it's quick and dirty and does the job.

If you use Google Apps it can also automatically record their email address.

I'm certain there are nicer apps out there that will give you more attractive online quizzes and show you the data in a nicer way. What's great about Google Classroom is that you can use it as the portal so students can access those quizzes and other apps and any other assignments from the same spot.

Here are some quiz apps online: http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2014/02/10-useful-web-tools-for-creating-online.html

I've heard good things about Socrative.

11. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 24, 2015

There are a few things you can try:
    -You can make the columns bigger by moving the mouse to the top of the column, on the right side of the column (the cursor will turn into an arrow), and drag the line to the right so you can see the full answer.
    -You can choose all of the cells you would like to see, then click on format > text wrapping > Wrap. This will make it so that all the words in a cell are visible (if the row is big enough), and the ends of the responses will not be hidden under the next cell.

Are the answers to the questions generally the same? If so, it should be easy to look down the column and mark those that are incorrect. Have you tried doing quizzes with multiple choice or other types of limited responses? Those might be easier to use. Other quiz apps I like are Edmodo and Kahoot. You might try those as well.