What's the proverbial straw for you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2ndTimeAround, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 2, 2014

I have recently become much better about insisting that appointments be made when parents just drop by. Never once has a drop-in taken less than ten minutes of my time. And those 30-60 minutes at the end of the day are mighty precious to me.

The last time a parent stopped by I simply told her that I would love to talk to her about her son's progress in my class but I had something already scheduled for that time (inputting grades into the computer and then leaving to pick up my own child) and would have to meet with her another time. She said "but this will only take a minute..." I replied "Great - would you like to meet tomorrow at 3:30 or later in the week?" She was a bit miffed but I was able to get my work done on time.

If I have the time I will meet. But that is very, very rarely the case immediately after school.

2. MsB2012

MsB2012 Companion

Jan 3, 2014

We have to do home visits this year. It is a requirement of a grant my school received. We have until the end of the year to do them, and we are required to take an admin or another teacher with us.

Earlier in the year we sent notices home and the parents who checked off that they want a home visit are the ones we have to go see. I believe I have around 18 who checked "Yes" (darn!). We have until the end of the year to do these, but I don't think anyone has actually started yet. We do get paid extra ($20 an hour) to do them outside of school hours (which is the only time they can be done really since we are not allowed to leave during the school day for them).

However, I'm still not looking forward to doing them. I have spoken to many of these parents so many times through email and in person at school, but there is something that seems so awkward about going into their home. How do you tactfully say "I've gotta go!" when you're ready to go? :whistle: :rolleyes::D

3. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 3, 2014

A friend of mine teaches Middle School and, although she does not have to make home visits, she has to carry a cell phone with her at all times (even weekends) to make her more accessible to her students and their parents.

Give me a fracking break :eek:hmy:(BS Galactica lingo). Aren't teachers allowed to have a private life anymore, either?

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

That would be a final.straw.for me too.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

My final straw wasn't just one straw, but more a collection of straws built up over the years. Namely, they included a lack of respect as a professional, dismal pay, even worse benefits, and a lack of support from administration when dealing with problem students and parents.

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 3, 2014

How about a website where teachers can upload their resignations??? Someplace where we can tell our stories and hopefully turn it into something positive....

I hear over and over that good teachers are quietly resigning and melting back into society. What good is that doing our kids? What good is that doing our country?

I'd be willing to set the site up if there are teachers who have already resigned - and teachers who are about to do so - who would be willing to tell their own personal stories....

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

Home visits? Oh, h*ll no. If they change our health insurance plans. As it is, our prescription co-pays are $45. One more data collecting and recording, charting, whatever the powers that be choose to call it. If my pay becomes dependent on my test scores. That's been talked about for the last several years.

I have a friend who teaches at a nearby college. She has been keeping her ears open for any openings there. They get an e-mail of an opening before it becomes public. Last year they had an opening for the dean's admin assistant. I talked myself out of it because it was open in March, right before testing, and I didn't feel right leaving. So, I stayed. For what? To come back this year to more crap required from my admin, the worst kid in my grade level, more data collecting and tracking, more disrespect from parents, less support from admin (didn't even think that was possible). Yeah, my dedication payed off. :|

Beth

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

I have another one - losing Summer. I openly admit that one of the reasons that I teach is for Summer break. Initially it was because I wanted to be off when my children were. Now I have come to love those weeks off. If we go to year-round school I will be leaving.

9. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 3, 2014

:thumb: agreed

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 3, 2014

Straw #1: Detailed lesson plans like I had to do in college. Afraid I can feel it coming in my district as they search for a way to "prove" we are doing our jobs.

Straw #2: Cut in pay.

Straw #3: Bad evaluations. I don't think I could handle this. It's tough enough having SO MANY evaluations, even though they've always been good. It's getting ridiculous. :dizzy:

Straw #4: A close relative wins big at the lottery, as I don't play. :lol:

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

I couldn't either until I was asked last year to change a grade from an F to a C. At that point my own morals would not allow me to continue teaching in the private ultra conservation Baptist school that I was at. They told me the only way they could consider offering me a new contract--I told them here they could put their contract and I had a new job 2 days later.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

Good for you! :thumb:

13. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jan 3, 2014

That took a lot of courage, Chemteach55. I really admire you for doing that.

14. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jan 3, 2014

My "straws" would be a cut in pay to the point that I could not live on it, or a cut in benefits.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 3, 2014

I've had years where I made less than the year before, but if that became a trend, I'd have to rethink my career options. Texas has changed retirement requirements several times. I'm going to have to teach over forty years before I can retire with full benefits. I haven't decided if I want to teach that long.