What's the proverbial straw for you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2ndTimeAround, Jan 2, 2014.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2014

Many parents strongly dislike home visits. And many parents are freaking outright scary.

2. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 4, 2014

That's not a school phone - it's your personal phone:eek:

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 5, 2014

Home visits sound so crazy to me. Especially on the HS level. I'm not visiting 165 houses and who wants 8 teachers per child dropping into their home?

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 5, 2014

I don't think there really is anything that would make me "resign"...there are some things that would make me seek out another position at a different school, though. I can't think of anything right now that would make me leave education altogether.

I've seen job postings for charters that mandate giving families your personal cell number, or being available on Saturdays for tutoring, or things like that. I won't do that. I believe I deserve to have a life too, and I believe that having it makes me a better teacher.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 5, 2014

home visits

Our district has been requiring home visits for elementary, middle, and high school teachers for 2 years now. Preschool teachers have always done home vists (2 per year) so I was used to it, but our K-5 teachers were very upset when it was first announced last year. Mainly because our school is in a very bad neighborhood and we are 80% spanish speaking, so every teacher had to find an interpreter to go with them, and they district only allowed them 1 week before school started to get all their home visits done, which all had to be done between 4-8 every evening to better serve families. Teachers are required to make at least 2 attempts and provide proof of attempts to the district before they can get a stipend.

As a preschool teacher, I have 38 students and have to do 38 home visits before school starts, and 38 home visits before the end of the year. I also have to do a home visit if a child misses 3 consecutive days of school. It's extremely time consuming, especially the end of the year visits when I already have a million other things that I need to be doing, and then I'm spending until 8-9 each evening doing home visits with an interpreter. Each visit takes about 30 minutes because they are supposed to be more like parent-teacher conferences and we have to go over all of the data, assessments, etc., as well as give parents information about kindergarten registration and all that.

It's not necessarily "the last straw" because everyone has to do it, so I can't really complain, but it's definitely one of the things that each year makes me wonder if I should be doing something different.

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 5, 2014

Holly crap PS949....:dizzy:
    You didn't mention whether or not this expenditure of your personal time is worth the effort....

Do you see these visits as a positive or a negative?
    Do they really make a difference with the kids and their success in your classroom?

7. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 5, 2014

Hmm...well putting aside the time it takes away from my family, the gas money I spend driving everywhere, and the risks I take walking past drug deals to get to an apartment door...

I think the beginning of the year home visits are a positive experience, but mostly only because I teach special education preschool and it's nice to meet a student before they enter my classroom. It's also a good time to calm a parents fears about their child going to school for the first time. I also have never had a child scream or cry the first day of school, and I tend to think that's usually because they have already met me and I think the first day of school would be much more chaotic if students were coming off the bus having no idea who I was. Now, do I think that this same effect could be achieved by having parents drop by the school for an open house with their child?...absolutely. I don't see any difference with the success of my kids in the classroom past that point.

I think the end of the year home visits and the home visits i'm required to do for frequently absent children are ridiculous. Most of my students miss 3 days in a row, for various reasons, and I'm constantly finding myself on a friday afternoon going to an IEP meeting, preparing my classroom for monday, and then having to swing by someone's house on the way home and asking in my broken spanish why their child hasn't been to school.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 5, 2014

We do home visits in extreme situations, but our principal and a deputy go with us, or our FINS officer.