What's the protocol for texts???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Jun 28, 2013.

?

How should I respond to the P who texted me?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2013.
  1. Call him to tell him thank you, but I already have a job

20 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. Text him to tell him thank you, but I already have a job

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Don't call or text (my least favorite option because it seems rude)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jun 28, 2013

I applied through a regional consortium several weeks ago, which is how I got my job for next year. Today I received a phone call (no voicemail) and a text from a principal asking me to come in for an interview and to call if I'm interested. Since I already have a job for next year, I'm obviously not going to interview at this school. However, it's in a neighboring district that I wouldn't mind working at in the future. How do I respond? Do I call and tell him that I already have a job for next year and thank him for contacting me? Do I text him back? Texting a principal about a job seems like the WEIRDEST thing ever! Help, please!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2013

A call or email are perfectly fine, especially since you received the interview request via email. Thank the P for his consideration, explain that you are currently committed to another school, and wish him a successful upcoming school year.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 28, 2013

I'd call.

5. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jun 28, 2013

I didn't receive the request through email, he texted me to ask me for an interview. That's why I asked because this is definitely a first for me to get a text from a P for an interview.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 28, 2013

I agree. That is strange. If you really would like to work there in the future, I would probably also recommend calling. That way you can actually have a conversation with him (and hopefully establish some sort of relationship) as opposed to a short and simple text.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

This will demonstrate your professionalism and he will remember you if the time comes that you want to apply at his school.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

I'd call.

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 28, 2013

I agree with the call or a professional email back. This post did make me laugh though as this past year I had a principal begin using texts to ask me about sub jobs. At first I'd email or call her back until one day she straight up told me now that she has my cell number to feel free to just text her back as that is the quickest way to reach her. She's a very laid back type of person though and since I knew her well at that point I felt okay with texting her back about sub jobs when she'd text me from then on out. :lol:

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

I would call.

11. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 30, 2013

I had a principal that texted, and used text speech in e-mails (thx, u, etc). I HATED IT.

12. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Jun 30, 2013

I would email or text back, and that is because principals I've worked with in the past primarily would communicate this way. I don't think that text messages are an unprofessional mode of communication. I don't see how it is different than an email, and if it is someone who is always on the go, that may be the most accessible way to reach him/her. But, of course, if you text, you must still use SAE.