What's the problem?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, May 16, 2012.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 16, 2012

I am in a dilemma. Last weekend, my students and I finished up our theatre season for the year. One of my student's parents bought a cake for the cast. My seniors said a few words, thank yous, and then one of my seniors (whose been with me since she's a freshman, and who I think of as my adopted daughter, a whole other story), decided to smash a piece of cake into my face. The other seniors joined in, we got dirty, then it ended, and we cleaned up. I did laugh, I thought it was funny. There was no cake throwing, there was no forceable attacking of others with cake, and there was no inappropriate placing of cake, nor did I put cake on any of them. We cleaned up everything.

A parent called to complain or maybe mention that it happened. Although they didn't say so in exactly those words, my principal made it seem that it was inappropriate.

I have been thinking about it all night, and I don't see it. Why is this any different than a sports team picking up the water cooler and dumping it on their coach when they win a big game?

I am just oblivious to things that are offensive?

My theatre students and I are very close--I see many of them 8-9 hours a day during tech week, and many have been with me since their freshman. I am friends with many of their parents, and for some, i am the only family they have.

I see what happened as some good natured celebration. I'm starting to think I'm in the wrong business.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 16, 2012

There's always one parent who will complain about everything. It doesn't sound like there was any wrong done but you might want to mention it to the kids next year just to avoid the problem parent gripe.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 16, 2012

We have really weird traditions in drama club. I am incredibly close to this group of seniors. For many of them, I'm the most stable adult presence in their lives. When one needed a prom dress, I thought nothing of taking her shopping for one, but a parent saw me shopping with her and called and "reported" me to the assistant principal. My AP laughed at her, told her to mind her own business, and consider doing something nice for someone instead of stirring up trouble.

5. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

May 16, 2012

I applaud you for having such close relationships with your students. I believe that is a key to great teaching.

It must have something to do with theatre, because I recall my 7th grade drama teacher having and end of the year party, too. During this time all the boys got to slow dance with her.

I recall that, when it was my turn, she held me very close.:wub:

That was the last I saw of her, though she was a favorite of the students, she transferred out at the end of that year.

Maybe the cake in the face was a little too familiar, just my opinion.

EK

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 16, 2012

Is she Hispanic? Specifically Mexican? In the Mexican tradition when you get a cake, they usually ask you to take a "mordida", or a bite. This would mean you putting your face into the cake and someone might possibly push your face into it. So, if she is Mexican, this is very traditional of them and they mean no harm by it.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2012

Inappropriate? Really? Both of my parents (respectively junior and senior class sponsors at my alma mater) had cream pies mushed in their faces at my senior year pep rally. My yearbook has the pic of my dad trying to walk with the plate still stuck to his face. This was with the entire school there. It was a celebration of school spirit, and I think that was exactly what your incident was as well.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

Maybe it looked a bit like you supporting a food fight?

I really don't see any harm if all the students were okay with it and you cleaned up your mess.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

Perhaps the problem was that the parent brought in the cake and it wasn't eaten, it was ammunition?

Either her time or her money went into it, and she expected it to be eaten and appreciated. Perhaps she felt that you weren't appreciative enough of her gift.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 16, 2012

The student-teacher dynamic in music and theatre is so much different than in any other part of the school.

As a theatre geek, I know exactly what you're talking about when you say the cast becomes like a family. There's nothing else like it. You laugh together, you cry together, you work hard together. When you spend as much time with the same people, all working together toward the same end with as much vigor and passion as you, it's magic.

Honestly, I wouldn't concern yourself with it.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 16, 2012

That was my thought, as well.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 16, 2012

Was it the same parent that made the cake and complained?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

Even if it wasn't, I can see a parent thinking that perhaps it was unappreciatiave or disrespectful of the other parent's offering.

If it had been my cake, it would be the last ANYTHING I donated to your program.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 16, 2012

Maybe something happened that you don't know about. I just found out today that one of my students was teased at our elem. music program on Monday night for squeaking in his sax solo (who doesn't squeak while playing the sax?). I didn't see or hear the teasing, and the student didn't say anything, but his mom did. So maybe some kid got hit one too many times, if you know what I mean.

15. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 17, 2012

It was not. I spoke with that parent that evening to thank her for the cake, and she, her daughter and I joked about the whole thing. And we only smeared about 3 pieces of cake, so the rest of it was definitely eaten. It was a very large sheet cake.

16. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 17, 2012

Alice's legitimate consideration aside, I see no problem. One of the clubs here raffles off chances to pie staff members and the dean. We've done the dunktank thing as well. Not a big deal in itself.