What's the point of an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2008

My husband wanted an HD TV. We got one but I'm less than impressed. What is the point? We upgraded the size from a 27" to a 32" but most of the shows are showing less than the full screen because they aren't formatted for that yet. The captioning is less than crisp for the same reason. Sure, the picture might be clear on SOME channels but who likes seeing all the black screen behind it. I don't think the technology is caught up enough to warrant it. Do you like yours?

3. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Dec 7, 2008

Do you have an HD receiver??? And the HDMI cable? My ex is obsessed w/ his hd tvs....and I do notice a difference from one to the next, however my parents bought an HD tv but he was too cheap to pay the extra money each month on his cable bill, so his tv looks grainy.

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 7, 2008

The point of HDTV in my house is for my hubby to fuss when I don't have the tv on HDTV channels. :) It's another toy for him, along with the surround sound stuff.

But (in a very hushed whisper, so that he doesn't know I am admitting this) I do notice a difference between the shows. The picture is much clearer and brighter. Our TV has some button that you can push to adjust the size of the picture on the screen--like cinema, wide screen, and a few others. Sorry, I'm not techno geek enough to know more info though.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2008

Yes we are paying for the picture. Yes, I notice a difference. I don't see enough of a difference and interestingly I'm fussy because the CAPTIONS are more degraded on the HDTV channels than the regular ones they were formatted for.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 7, 2008

We had a HDTV for about 6 months and yesterday we just got the HD channels for Direct Tv. I love the picture, it is so clear and bright. I almost turned Saturday Night Live off last night because that station isn't HD and it was fuzzy. I am not use to the bars on the side yet.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2008

What bars?

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2008

A lot of people don't know how to set up their HDTVs properly. We have a 32'' one in our guest bedroom/game room and my husband set that one up so that the picture is nice and not grimy looking. Every time we are at someones house, he HAS to fix their HDTVs up properly because he can't stand grimy looking tvs. I told him to start up a business doing that because most people don't know how to do it. For one of the people he helped, they had some professional come out and no one could figure out how to set it up. I'm sure the closed caption would look better afterwards too. My mom is deaf and we have to make the tvs look pictures clear so she can read it.

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 7, 2008

Hmmm, maybe it depends on the cable company. We get all the major channels in HD (2,4,5,7,9,11,13, espn, and a few others). We have the HD receiver box on our downstairs tv and the picture is very clear. We have cable upstairs too but we didn't buy the extra box and so that picture isn't as clear.
    So do I notice a difference? Yes.
    Is it that drastic that it's worth the extra money? I certainly don't think so. My DH thinks so though.:rolleyes:

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 7, 2008

On certain programs it doesn't fill up the TV screen all the way. My husband is still playing with it.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 7, 2008

It's not a necessity for me either. As long as the picture's clear, that's great enough for me. I'm certainly not going to pay extra w/ my cable TV company for those special HD channels.

12. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 7, 2008

HDTV quality is way better than standard DVD. It's almost as clear as Blu-Ray disc. I think you need to rescan the channels on your HDTV so you can see the huge quality improvement. I live in Southern California and there's a ton of channels on HDTV

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2008

That could be the key to all of it if I understood what to do with it. We did have someone come out. Of course not everybody is gifted enough to figure things out even if they are the "expert."

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 7, 2008

I'm still building my DVD movie collection. Although I'm sure Blu-Ray is great, I don't want to have to buy all Blu-Ray movies now!

BTW, one of the students I work w/ says there's a Wii 2 that's coming out.

I tell you, there's always something new, isn't there!

15. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 7, 2008

Wii 2 isn't coming out anytime soon. Nintendo said there was going to be at least 5 years lifespand on the wii. PS3 is 10 years, xbox 360 is 7 years. And those are tentative dates. According to Newsweek, the PS3 is barely breaking even, Nintendo Wii profit nintendo $6.00 a console, and xbox 360 just started making money 7 months ago. What does all this means, it means that those 3 companies will not release any new console anytime soon since they are just started to profit from those console (except nintendo, they made profit from the wii from the beginning) However, nintendo biggest issue is supply, they still can't keep up with the demand; so they wont release a Wii 2 until there isn't demand for the wii. In other words, why make a wii 2 when people are still fighting for the Wii 1, and Xbox and PS3 wont release another product for a while.

16. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Dec 7, 2008

Welll if you want it from the perspective of somebody who's boyfriend sells them so I know all the technical stuff behind it. It gives you a clearer and crisper picture then a normal TV would. But along with that somebody mentioned needing and HDMI cable which brings in the HD signal and you would also need the HD channels from your TV provider. If he is trying to say that you need it for February don't let him fool you, you don't. We got one because said BF is a good salesmen and sold me on getting one and we are huge sports fans and it makes watching sports clearer and crisper. You can see the ball/puck/etc better and be able to follow it. And when your from a hockey town....you need to be able to see the puck very clearly.

17. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 7, 2008

You don't need a HDMI cable to get HD signal. You can get them over the air. HDMI cable just deliever BOTH digital video and audio on the same cable so that's the big deal about them. However, you can get digital signals from DVI/VGA/Optics/Toslink cables and a variety of others. So you do you need a HDMI cable to watch HDtv? No. just plug your regular tv antena to your new HDTV and you will be recieving 1080i or 720p over the air. For Free!

18. black_swan

black_swan New Member

Dec 8, 2008

There is a good reason

With HDTV you can see with your two eyes how the skin of the pretty actresses really looks like... And from that moment on you can start to feel very good about yourself :)

Merry Christmas!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2008

(chuckling)

And Merry Christmas to you, too, black_swan: I hadn't thought of that.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2008

Too funny!!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2008

And with an HDTV you don't have to worry about when they switch to digital TV in Feb.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2008

As far as I know, I had a digital TV. I just didn't have HDTV. I like my square digital tv. I'm not liking wide screen format when not all of the shows are formatted for wide screen.

The caption thing is still bugging me though. I would love to know the secret to clearing that up.

23. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2008

I could live without it, but some shows are spectacular in HD. Football - seems like you're actually on the field. Did any of you watch the series Planet Earth? That was breathtaking in HD. But, for watching regular shows ... not a necessity.

24. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 8, 2008

My husband is obsessed with this as well. But as someone mentioned earlier...you can't just get the TV...you have to have the right connections with it as well. The wires and receiver need to be upgraded to HD as well as the TV. If so, the image is SUPER crisp. I can tell the difference...and when I see a regular TV the image is really crappy, but I get over it because not everyone has HD!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2008

I have the receiver. I'm assuming I have the cable. I think the problem for me is not everything is HD and I'm not liking the widescreen. Things get blown up and blurry. Some things don't take up the whole screen. Either way my captions don't look sharp. That's the most important part of the picture for me. I need some more pointers in bringing in better clarity. My husband likes it. But then again, he likes that he got a new tv finally.

I have a quick question: Does anybody have a tv shelf that sits on top of the flat panel tv? I have a videophone I need to hook up.

26. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 8, 2008

Hmm you don't need a shelf that hangs on top of it, maybe over it? I'll show you want I mean later, when I take a picture of our home setup.

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2008

I would like to see it too. Right now, my mom has her video phone sitting precariously on top of the TV. :rolleyes:

28. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

My husband fusses over his HD mumbo jumbo...We can't watch anything that's not HD, if we have the chance to watch it in HD...It's crazy and quiet honestly I have never been able to tell the difference...except in football games, not all sports, just football. I notice the grass, and the sweat :( ugh.
    Anyway, it's to keep him quiet and content..for what he has been through, it's worth every penny :)

29. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 9, 2008

There's a huge difference in the way people look with their weight. HD takes the 10 pounds off. People's faces look more realistic.

30. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 9, 2008

As for the widescreen and all that, some HD channels (like ESPN) have huge bars on the sides of the picture. Those are usually if it's not meant for HD (I think). You should probably purchase the HD channels to get the most out of your TV. Not sure what service you have, they all differ.

Also, you can select different "formats" for your TV and it will change the widescreen look and all that. I know on our remote we have a specific button for formatting. There are like 3 different options and you just press it to see them (DirecTV).