What's the new Senate Bill about?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by meeper22, Mar 12, 2011.

1. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Mar 12, 2011

Hey, I hope everyone here is doing well.

I had a question about this Senate Bill in Florida that the government is deciding. It's this Senate Bill that's REALLY going to hurt teachers. It was stating how like teachers only get paid depending on the performance that students do on tests. Also how teachers only get yearly contracts if they want pay raises. Like if they want a pay raise, they have to get a contract that lasts one year.

I think this new governor said teachers had to donate part of their pension to the city too.

I don't know how he won, I voted for Charlie Crist.

Can someone tell me though exactly how this bill works?

Paid by test basis...does that mean if any students fail, you don't get paid? Like let's say you did your best, your students took a test, a majority of them failed because they didn't study, does that mean you don't get paid at all?

3. time out

time out Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

I'm not sure but I'm part of the county under the Bill Gates plan so we are following a similar model. 60% of our evaluation score is on student achievement. It's weighted so that they take other factors into consideration, like ELL level, free/reduced lunch, etc. Based on some formula, they determine how much progress a student is expected to make. You're then evaluated on whether or not you were able to move that student up to that level.

Based on an evaluation score of an average of 3 years, you will fall into a predetermined pay bracket and will get paid accordingly. Our county is still figuring out what those numbers will be. One year won't throw you off track but if you are consistently underperforming, your salary will reflect that. However, if you do exceptionally well, you will get a salary increase even if you are a beginning teacher.

I don't know how closely this proposed bill will match the Gate's grant but I have a feeling they'll be pretty close.

4. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

I don't know how they expect to retain teachers in certain areas if everything is tied to student performance.

It will only make the achievement gap grow, why would someone risk their livelihood for the rest of their life trying to make a substantial difference when they can have a secure job in the burbs where parents (generally) hold their children accountable?

5. time out

time out Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

I know what you mean. How are they ever going to keep teachers in the lower-performing schools?

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2011

Which election did you vote in? Crist wasn't even running for gov.
    You can google Florida teacher legislation and get a lot of info on the bill. It's pretty much the same bill as last year's Senate Bill 6. Crist vetoed it last year because he realized how detrimental it would be for the state. The new gov doesn't care what happens to the middle class citizens of the state and he is taking every opportunity to destroy Florida's economy. (end of political statement).

This bill is quite similar to others being passed in other states. I think most of the controversy centers around the fact that one test cannot give a picture of all the knowledge children have gained over the year, yet, that will be the basis for evaluating teachers.

7. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Mar 13, 2011

Well Charlie Crist was running for something because I know he was on the ballot when I voted last year.

But yeah, I agree with how you can't base a student's achievement solely on tests, it's just not right.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 13, 2011

I honestly don't think they care or really think about that aspect of it. I think politicians in general are saying to themselves, "How can I make it look to the public like I really care about education and am doing something about it? I know! We'll whip up sentiment against the teachers. It's a win-win for me! The parents certainly don't want to blame themselves and I don't want them blaming me, so we'll paint a target on the backs of the teachers. What are they going to do about that? Nothing! And if they quit, so what? There's a glut of teachers out there to take their place." :dizzy:

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 13, 2011

First of all, I'll say that I do NOT agree with performance pay-especially when its baed on test scores. Any educator worth their salt knows that once-a-year standardized test scores are not a true measure of student learning.

However, in response to keeping teachers out of certain areas, there are ways to get around that if the policy is set up right. I work in an extremely high poverty area where the great majority of students are ELL's. The portion of our performance pay that is based on test scores is actually based on improvement, not necessarily just getting "good" scores. So with my school starting so low to begin with, its actually pretty easy to show improvement each year- whereas a suburban school thats already getting 95% of students to pass is going to have a hard time improving.

10. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 13, 2011

Are there standardized tests for elective courses, or are teachers of elective courses simply going to be rated on the performance of the rest of the school?

11. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 13, 2011

meeper-Crist ran for Senate in FL.