What's the Most Valuable Thing You've Ever Lost?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 11, 2010

Post the MOST valuable thing(s) you've ever lost & what was the outcome?

Only once...my wallet, which I got back later w/ nothing missing. I've misplaced various items at times (papers, my glasses, & such), but I usually find them later (somewhere in the house or car).

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2010

Nothing major comes to mind...

But my mom kept a small box of things either belonging to my father or that had been given to her by him that the children would one day be given...their wedding ring set, his class ring, his FFA pins, and the first piece of jewelry he had given her. It was a white gold cross necklace with a fleck of diamond in the center. They were both poor, but especially my father, and I can't imagine how long he worked to buy it for her. He was young, too, because they married at sixteen and this was a couple years prior. Anyway, one of my very favorite things to do was look through these few things. Even when I was far too old to wish for it and even when they had married other people and had more children, I just wanted them to be together...and somehow holding these items made me feel...just better. So in the sixth grade I pleaded for my mother to let me wear the necklace. She said no. I begged more. She evetually said yes. I got the "be careful" lecture. My best friend asked to wear it during recess and I allowed her to. I'm sure I didn't close it properly and it fell off. My teacher helped me scour the playground, but it was never found. I was beyond devastated, and I wasn't honest with my mother about it...I lied by omission, because while she forgot to ask me if I had replaced it, I didn't tell her I had lost it. She never bothered with the box so I felt pretty safe with my decision to withhold that information.

Now that I don't see their marriage the way I did when I was younger, it's much less of a loss to me.

I told her a couple years ago about the incident. She laughed. What a relief. :)

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2010

I got my purse stolen once and lost my wallet once.

I lost an envelope once that had $1,000 cash in it. I was mortified. It was a gift.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 11, 2010

I lost an amethyst ring one time. It was the first piece of jewelry that my parents had gotten me! I felt TERRIBLE!!

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 11, 2010

I lost, and never found, a solid gold thin rope necklace that I purchased on my honeymoon. It had a diamond pendant on it.

7. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Oct 11, 2010

My very first ring from my boyfriend (who is now my husband), my wedding rings and a watch. We have scoured the house and can only conclude they must have fallen in the trash. :(

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 11, 2010

Nothing comes to mind, and I am Queen of Misplacement.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2010

I've been told if I ever come home without my ring, I better be missing the finger as well.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2010

My diamond pendent and necklace it was on. Broke while I was out on for my bach. party. The pendent was worth 2,000. And stupid me didn't have it insured.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2010

I should have told my husband that haha. He lost his wedding band two months after we got married.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2010

In highschool I was wearing my mom's star saphire ring in platinum with diamonds.....lost it....
    what was she thinking letting me wear it!

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 11, 2010

At Sesame Place, I lost my daughter for 20 minutes, that is my most valuable anything :( Fortunately, I found her at the "lost Kids station" it was terrifying.

Other than that, Last year, I lost my wallet - I left in in a cart in Costco, and later that night, someone dropped it off on my doorstep. It was the week before christmas. I was overwhelmed with the kindness.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

My watch that had my wedding ring and mother's ring on it.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2010

My mind.

16. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 11, 2010

Two really dear friends.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 11, 2010

Simply put: Everything. I am from Homestead, FL, the hardest hit area in Hurricane Andrew. The entire town was wiped off the map. There were some things that my parents had in a storage unit a little north that managed to survive the storm, but didn't survive the looters that came later. I own nothing from prior to August 26, 1992.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2010

For about 24 hours I thought that I lost the title to my new house. I was almost ready to phone my lawyer when it arrived in the mail :blush:. I forgot my lawyer showed it to me while I was in his office and then told me that he will mail me a copy.:whistle:

19. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 11, 2010

My Papa wrote me a letter several years ago. I had moved during that time so I am hoping that I have it somewhere but haven't located it yet. I would love to have it especially since he passed away in 2009. :(

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 11, 2010

A wireless computer mouse...it was like $50. I have the base to charge the mouse but no mouse. It was larger than a regular desktop mouse, I bought it for my laptop. It never left my house. weird. It has been almost 5 years since I lost it, several intense cleanings, and still missing. I replaced it with an expansion base for $250.00 came with a wireless mouse and keyboard, and a base which I can connect more memory to. It basically makes my laptop a desktop.

In third grade a classmate stole a Miss Piggy Silver Spoon I'd brought for show and tell. Outcome I got in trouble for taking it to school. :,( I still get sad when I think of it.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

Nothing that I can think of. I'm always worried I'll lose dh on a business trip. He's gone so often, and I can't imagine life without him.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 11, 2010

My high school diaries were stolen from my home! I had kept them religiously, because I wanted to remember what it was like to be a teenager, and use them for reference for a writing project. Haven't gotten over that one yet.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2010

That's truly devastating. I can't begin to imagine how that would feel. :(

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 12, 2010

It's stuff. Stuff can be replaced. Stuff with sentimental value is only a symbol of the real value...the memories. The memories live on forever.

I find it ironic that on the day this thread was posted, a 60-odd unit apartment building burned to the ground not to far from me. 150 people have lost everything they own and are suddenly homeless. Thankfully, there were no major injuries and no human loss of life (it was a pet friendly building). Fire crews are still out there, attempting to rescue any pets that might still be alive.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2010

I lost my innocents November 22, 1963 when Kennedy was assassinated.

26. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

My feeling of "safety." I used to trust almost everyone, however--
    My EMT husband and his partner were robbed at gunpoint (on the ambulance) and then the robbers tried to kill them. I still have the pants with the bullet hole. Also, a month or so ago the lady across the street was attacked in her home - raped, beaten, etc. (And we live in one of the safest areas around - or so I thought.) We had to have an alarm system put in, etc.

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2010

Too many serious answers that I could give. So...

I lost my 69 Camaro the day my younger brother "borrowed" it so he could go to work. I happened to have two cars at the time, so I let him use it. He claimed it all summer. Then he wrecked it. He almost lost his life. Not in the wreck, but in telling me that it was totaled.