What's the Most Time Consuming Thing You Do Getting Ready for Work?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2010

I don't even eat breakfast. If I didn't have to put on makeup, which takes about 20 min, I could wake up later, but there's a certain way I like to look.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Honestly, probably picking out what I am going to wear :) I can shower, do my hair and make-up in about 15 minutes. I can spend another 15 minutes picking out what I am going to wear. I do eat breakfast every morning but I don't consider that time consuming as I eat and watch the Today Show.

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Oct 25, 2010

I eat breakfast in the car. I shower at night and simply was my hair in the morning so that is quick. The most time consuming part is probably picking out my outfit as well. I really need to start doing that at night.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2010

My most time consuming part of my morning is crawling out of bed.;)

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

Checking the morning newspaper online, and getting distracted by the comments people leave! ;)

I always used to shower at night and wear a ponytail, but now my hair is shorter, and I'm trying to wash and blow dry every morning. It's been about 3 weeks and I'm running out of steam - I hate blow drying my hair!!!

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2010

Where do I begin?

When you bike 14 miles through isolated rural areas, you have a lot of stuff to do.

Air tires, fill water bottles, check weather, put (hopefully) charged batteries back into lights,

Check that everything is in the bag - wallet, tools, tubes, phone.

Decide what to wear based on weather. In the winter that means layer on top of layer. One day I rode to work with five shirts.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

My hair. I wish I had time to really style it, but alas. It is so long that drying it takes forever. I only wash it every other day, so on the days I don't I get to sleep in an extra 20 minutes. I'm getting it cut on Wednesday, though, so hopefully getting length off will speed up the process. I wish I had time/energy for make-up.

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 25, 2010

Showering, makeup and hair. My hair is very long and I wish I could do something more with it but I just don't have enough time. Also, getting my almost 2 yr old ready for the morning is quite time consuming as well.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Showering, I turn up the radio and take in as much NPR in the morning as I can. If I time it right, I hear a different section of NPR on my drive to school.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2010

Probably picking out clothes-I'm too indecisive. I take showers at night and get up pretty late. I'm usually out the door around 25 minutes after I wake up.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2010

Me too actually. I can sometimes take an hour before I will roll off my bed.

13. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 26, 2010

My first cup of coffee must be savored!

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2010

Getting on here. :) I always jump on my laptop to wake up, and I end up spending about 85% of my alloted morning time surfing the interwebs.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

Getting my 3 kids up and ready.

I'm very low maintainence; I could be out the door in 20 minutes.

But the "mommy thing" adds lots of time to my morning.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

Making my lunch and waiting for the water to boil for my morning cup of tea. I could, quite literally, be out the door in 15 minutes--hair (2 min) and makeup (2 min) done.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 26, 2010

drying my hair. Like Jem I wash my hair every other day. Today I have a few extra minutes!

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

Getting three picky sleepy girls ready for their day!! between waking them up, making sure they like their outfits, combing hair, and getting out the door with the little one, that takes me an hour.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

Like Proud, getting out of bed is number one. I always lay there and pet my dog who sleeps with me. It doesn't help that when I do get out of bed, he'll come into the bathroom with me then go back to the bed and look up like he wants to get back in. I shower/hair/makeup pretty quickly, but picking out something to wear takes up a chunk of time.

20. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

Ditto for me! Getting my kids up, helping my daughter flat iron her hair, making 3 lunches and getting my son to the bus stop. All before 7 a.m.!

21. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

Ugh, doing all my nebulizers and breathing machines. That adds a good 45 minutes to my morning:(

22. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

LMAO i couldn't agree more. My alarm goes off at 5:50am, I never make it out of bed before 6:25pm. That is why i have been consistently late the past month. :whistle:

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 26, 2010

I don't really do anything time-consuming in the mornings. I'm not a morning person, so I've got my morning streamlined.

I do a lot of things at night, so I don't have to worry with them in the morning.
    • pack lunch & breakfast
    • get school bag ready
    • lay out clothes, shoes, & accessories
    • shower

That really doesn't leave much to do in the morning, and I have a routine that goes fast.
    • make bed
    • open curtains
    • contacts
    • morning medicine
    • full make-up
    • hair
    • get dressed
    • out the door

That takes me about 30-45 minutes.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

I'm out of bed and out the door in 35 minutes. I can pull together a polished and professional look in no time- I've got it down to a science. I work out and shower at night, pick out my clothes. My hair is easy- long, blonde and straight with good body to it...I run a brush through it or pull it back with a great clip...Makeup takes all of 5 minutes...DH and I make bed together...I even do a quick press on my pants with the iron and throw a salad or quick sammie into my lunch bag in that time..coffee from the Keurig and out the door.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2010

Being courteous to my BF broke that habit when we moved in together. No more snooze button. Well, sometimes I will hit it once and usually I am out of bed before it goes off again, but I would never have the alarm go off more than once. I would feel terrible.

When I lived alone though, that is definitely where I wasted the most time.

Does anyone find the more they get into the year, the more time they waste? In the beginning of the year I was up early, had meals done, unloaded the dishwasher, did a load of laundry, and was even out of the door 15 minutes before I needed to be. Now it is all I can take to get out of bed, and I can't seem to make it out the door early at all.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 26, 2010

My morning routine goes more smoothly when I wake up and its aleady light out. If I get up in the dark I feel more sluggish and everything takes longer.

27. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 27, 2010

Yes, silverspoon65. As the year goes past, I get slower and slower. I always say that I am glad school ends when it does, or I would be coming in with the children.
    As for morning routines, I find as I have gotten older, make-up and hair take a lot longer! Just putting concealer on all of my brown spots takes 10 minutes!

28. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 27, 2010

I shower at night and make lunches after dinner. I get up at 5:40, fix hair, put on make up, get dressed, get both kids up and dressed, and am out the door at 6:40. The most time consuming part of my day is the 20 minute drive to work. In the winter, the 20 minutes can turn into an hour depending on if I'm braking trail on the highway (Cal Trans hasn't plowed), or driving on icy roads. My daughter and I eat breakfast once we get to work. There is no way we could eat before we left for school and not be starving by lunch.

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 27, 2010

Easy, picking out what to wear! I don't know why but it always stumps me! Sometimes if I wake up a little early I'll lay in bed and I'll try to think of what I want to wear...to help speed the process, but it never seems to work. Sometimes it could take me 20-30 minutes, it's ridiculous!