What's the longest you've interviewed for?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by imanashhole, Jul 12, 2012.

1. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 12, 2012

I got the job (yay!) but the interview process was intense. My first interview was an hour long (including questions and a tour of the school) and I felt this was very long for a first interview. My demo lesson (which was 2 days later none the less :dizzy:) was expected to be an HOUR!!! For preschool!!! I ended up doing circle time, movement, a story book and an art activity and actually filled it up. Talk about pressure!! Luckily the third "interview" ended up becoming a contract signing.

What's the longest your interview has gone? Did it go well?

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 12, 2012

Congrats! I've had 2 one hour+ interviews. Both times they resulted in offers. I would say that when they keep you that long, it usually means they're really interested.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

1 that lasted an hour. Didn't get the job but I think that was only because I wasn't certified in the subject area (it was a private school so it's not technically required).

My brother who just landed an Engineering job routinely had 3 to 4 hour interviews so I guess we're luckier.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

I had one that was an hour and a half. One hour was spent rotating between 4 different panels (a total of 12 people in all), and the other 30 minutes was a writing sample.

6. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 12, 2012

The last time they interviewed me for 35 minutes, I didn't get the job. Yesterday, my interview took only 12 minutes, but they offered me the job the same day. I don't even think they had the time to have called my references. Of course, a lot depends on the replies to their questions. My answers were straightforward, without beating around the bush, using anecdotes when necessary. My prayers were indeed answered: I was in the right place at the right time. I was the right person for the job at that time.

I went for another interview again today to another school district, just to find out. There were "millions" of math applicants. Math?

So I suggest to keep on applying. You won't know until you have applied. There are several ways in marketing to conserve your energy: you can either use the "machine gun approach" to hit your target or the "shot gun approach". What do you think is better?

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

My longest interview was just over 2 hours! The P asked me 60 questions from a list and took a lot of notes on my responses. A teacher on the hiring team later told me that the P would stop asking questions much earlier if she wasn't interested in the candidate. I got (and accepted) a job offer a few days later.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

Sounds to me like the Principal was a little full of themselves.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

About a month ago I had two interviews that lasted about 2 hours. The first one was questions (sorta, they winged it) and then a tour of the school. Then, the follow up interview was another 2 hours and this one was where I had to teach a lesson. Then more questions afterwards.

They've strung my along since then...

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2012

Most of mine have been thirty minutes or less.

11. ammyers626

ammyers626 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

Most of my interviews are about 30 minutes. The interview I had yesterday was probably the longest I've had (at least that I can remember). Mine was just like yours. It was a little over an hour long and included a tour of the school.

Congratulations on getting the job!

12. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

Longest: Three hours. To teach Bible at a christian school, it was non-denom.

The next has been an 1:15. Most run about 30 to 45 minutes.

13. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 15, 2012

3 HOURS?! Whoa, what were you guys talking about?