What's the latest GREAT book you have read?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, May 16, 2009.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

I haven't read any lately, but I would like to find about some good ones. :thanks: I need to read more and spend less time on this site. Yeah. Right...AND I am not a teacher.:rolleyes:
    Rebel1

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

I just read Angels&Demons for the 2nd time. I loved it just like the first time. Of course I'm a huge history buff. I also want to read The Shack. My MIL said it was really good.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 16, 2009

Funny-I was going to look up a 'favorite author' thread and share my latest find.

I love the author Sherman Alexie, and just finished 'The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian'. Fan-tastic. The first book I read by him was 'Tonto and The Lone Ranger Fistfight in Heaven'. I was blown away. He writes about life on modern reservations-so sad, but very interesting. I can't wait to get more of his books. I saw him speak when he came to U of M after 9/11, and he was captivating. Sigh. I think I have an author-crush.

Anyhow 'Part-time Indian' is about a freshman in high school who decides to leave the reservation and go to a 'white' high school. It deals with his feelings of betrayal, trying to fit in, the realities of alcoholism within his family, etc. When I got to the end, I just wanted more. There was a passage in the back of the book from his next project-I can't wait to read that one as well.

ETA: I just looked at Alexie's official homepage, and he's writing a sequel to 'Part-Time Indian'!! Yes!! I guess everyone wanted more Arnold Spirit and crazy high-school adventures...

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 16, 2009

I haven't had time to read a lot lately, but I'm re-reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Love it every time!

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 17, 2009

Lately I've been reading kid/young adult chapter books...just finished the Shadow Children series, recommended by someone on this forum, and they did not disappoint.

My all-time favorite book is Where the Heart Is. I read it again and again and fall in love with it all over again each time. It's one of those books that is so good, I refuse to see the movie. Secret Life of Bees is another one like that too.

Have you read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? It's set in ancient China so would fit the historical fiction genre, and is very well written and intriguing. I still cringe when I think of them walking on their "lilies" (bound feet). An excellent book!

7. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 17, 2009

Have you read any Jennifer Weiner? She wrote the book In Her Shoes (made into the movie) and all of her books are great. They run the risk of being categorized as chick lit just based on their story lines (revolve around women) except for the fact that they are smart and funny.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 17, 2009

I love Jennifer Weiner! Good in Bed is one of my all-time favorites. (BTW-the book is nothing about being 'good in bed'. It is a truly beautiful, funny story.)
    I just finished Escape. It is a true story about a women who escaped polygomy. She was married to Merrill Jessop, a key figure in the Yearning for Zion community, the big raid that happened in Texas. I was astounded to read about the emotional, physical, and sexual abuse that occured in this community. The story dragged a bit at parts but I felt like it was a real eye opener. So sad.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I love this book, too, Mrs. Q!! My copy is one of the originals, from my grandmother. My mom recently saw the movie on tv and taped it for us to watch together-it was sooooo good. I had no idea there was a movie, but all the actors were wonderful.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Yes!! It was so good, I got Peony in Love. The funny this is I brought them both to my mother-in-law when I finished, and she was working on a different book by the same author-we hadn't even talked to each about it! Lisa See is such a fantastic author.

11. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

May 17, 2009

I just read this book a few weeks ago too! Very eye opening and sadly fascinating.

I have been reading a LOT lately, can't even keep track of everything I've been reading! My husband I did just read "The Shack" and really enjoyed it. I just checked out "Water for Elephants" from the library, but haven't started it yet.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 18, 2009

I read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and I think that was probably the last "great" book I read. It won a pulitzer and was really fantastic, but depressing. I also read a WONDERFUL graphic novel called "Fun Home" By Alison Bechdel, but it is a bit graphic in parts. It's a memoir.

Right now I am reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies! It's basically the same story (and words) as P and P, but there are also zombies thrown in. Great and funny, if you like that sort of thing!

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 18, 2009

14. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

May 18, 2009

Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed. (Read it in November, but I still think about it...)

Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. (Unbelievable story set in WWII Germany--I am not a historical fiction person, but this book was amazing).

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

I'm currently reading The Shack and so far, I'm loving it. I'm not much of a reader, but love reading when I find a great book. I have a short attention span so reading is hard for me...he he. :( Part-Time Indian sounds interesting.

16. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

May 18, 2009

I have read just finished reading The Invisible Wall and the The Dream by Harry Bernstein. Both are memoirs about his life growing up. The Invisible Wall is about growing up in England pre WWI as a poor Jew who lives on one side of a street and the Christians live on the other. The Dream is about emmigrating to America. Both books are great reads.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 18, 2009

All of the books by Emily Giffin...starting with 'Something Borrowed'...(there are 4 books)

I read all of them these last 2 weeks...haha...

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 18, 2009

oh...just saw the 'great' in the title...they are good...not life changing or anything...lol

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 18, 2009

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. After I finished it I told hubby this will be a good movie...well, I checked his site they are filming it this year!!!! Read it!!!!

Started reading Michael J. Fox's new one...haven't gotten very far!!!

20. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 18, 2009

I like those Emily Giffin books too :)

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 18, 2009

:happybday: nattles19

hope you are having a great one

22. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 18, 2009

"Love, Rosie" by Cecelia Ahern. I love her books. This one is different because it's all written in the form of letters, e-mails and texts.

23. smalltowngal

May 18, 2009

:bdaysong: nattles!

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 18, 2009

I read a few chapters of it (A&D) and then put it down for some reason. It is on my bookshelf right now and I was thinking of getting back into it since the movie just came out!

25. smalltowngal

May 18, 2009

TeacherNY-my dh is currently reading it again before we see the movie.

26. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 18, 2009

Thank you! :D

I couldn't see anything under my name, so I wondered if that feature was working. I love birthdays!

27. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 18, 2009

(I like non-fiction history/biographies. I also don't READ these, but rather listen to books on tape. I have enough to READ with professional literature. So these were books on tape versions and LOVED them! Adding in a review from Amazon too-incase they spark anyone's interest. I HIGHLY recommend them!! - Both, BTW, were New York Times bestsellers - recently.)

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candace Millard

At once an incredible adventure narrative and a penetrating biographical portrait, The River of Doubt is the true story of Theodore Roosevelt’s harrowing exploration of one of the most dangerous rivers on earth.

After his humiliating election defeat in 1912, Roosevelt set his sights on the most punishing physical challenge he could find, the first descent of an unmapped, rapids-choked tributary of the Amazon. (The River of Doubt—it is a black, uncharted tributary of the Amazon that snakes through one of the most treacherous jungles in the world. Indians armed with poison-tipped arrows haunt its shadows; piranhas glide through its waters; boulder-strewn rapids turn the river into a roiling cauldron.)

Together with his son Kermit and Brazil’s most famous explorer, Cândido Mariano da Silva Rondon, Roosevelt accomplished a feat so great that many at the time refused to believe it. In the process, he changed the map of the western hemisphere forever.

Along the way, Roosevelt and his men faced an unbelievable series of hardships, losing their canoes and supplies to punishing whitewater rapids, and enduring starvation, Indian attack, disease, drowning, and a murder within their own ranks. Three men died, and Roosevelt was brought to the brink of suicide. The River of Doubt brings alive these extraordinary events in a powerful nonfiction narrative thriller that happens to feature one of the most famous Americans who ever lived. From the soaring beauty of the Amazon rain forest to the darkest night of Theodore Roosevelt’s life, here is Candice Millard’s dazzling debut.

and

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson

You'll burn midnight oil reading this exciting story - and you already know how it ends!

History is made vividly exciting in this detailed and well-written account of a critical event in United States history. Swanson has the instinct of a novelist, but every word of this page-turner is true. Don't start reading this book unless you have blocked out some time. You won't want to put it down. Everybody quotes Paul Harvey at about this point, and I will, too. If you think you know everything there is to know about the Lincoln assassination, think again. Swanson gives you "the rest of the story." John Wilkes Booth was a Shakespearean actor whose personal story is as Shakespearean as even the Bard himself could create. To Booth, all the world really was a stage and in jumping from the box at Ford's Theater he thought he was playing the role of a lifetime. Indeed, he was. Swanson helps us saddle up and ride with Booth on his frantic escape through Maryland and into Virginia, where he thought he would be haled as a hero. If you love history. If you like to feel as if you are there, you will treasure this book.

WOW! I loved these books.

(A book from a while ago..but still remains on my top-reads list: The Red Tent)

(

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 19, 2009

I loved the DaVinci code but thought the movie was only so-so. The reviews on A&D weren't that good. After I read the book I might just wait for the DVD to come out.

29. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 19, 2009

I recently finished Wally Lamb's new book. I waited years for him to write it! I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite. She's Come Undone is my all time favorite by him. It's hard to believe a man could write in the voice of a teenage girl the way he does, but he pulls it off.

If you liked The Hour I First Believe, you might like Testimony by Anitia Shreve. I haven't read it yet, but I went to hear her read from it a few weeks ago, of course she probably read the most intriguing (sp?) parts. I can't wait to start it, but I have to finish the book I'm reading now.

I jus LOVE this thread!!!:thumb:

30. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 19, 2009

I recently finished the novel The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus. (he also wrote The House of Sand and Fog).It takes place a few days before the WTC disaster, and describes the events in the lives of several characters including the mother of a young girl who is kidnapped, her co workers and clients in a sleazy strip club and one of the terrorists. Very well written. Couldn't put it down.

31. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 21, 2009

I just finished reading A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. It was the comic relief I needed, so if anyone is interested in reading a book that may make you laugh out loud this would be it. The book is a memoir but reads like fiction as the back suggests.
    LOVED IT!!

32. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 21, 2009

Here are my picks

She's Come Undone
    Water for Elephants
    Middlesex
    A Girl Named Zippy and She Came Off of the Couch (the prequel)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    The Invisible Wall
    Pretty in Plaid (funny memoir of a preppy girl)
    The Girls From Ames
    Pillars of the Earth (very long but fantastic)

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 21, 2009

Wally Lamb is amazing. I loved all of his books and I definitely recommend The Hour I First Believed. I started reading Testimony and thought I would like it. I didn't really like how it was written in all of the different perspectives so I got bored with it and returned it to the library after reading about 20 pages.

34. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 21, 2009

I'm saving your list Sue35! I've already read 4 of the books on it, and loved every one! Especially Middlesex and Water for Elephants.

Put these two on your list:

Ellen Foster
    This Boy's Life

and let me know what you think!

35. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 21, 2009

I just borrowed Testimony from my mom. She said it is one of the most haunting books she has read in a long time. She could not put it down

36. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 21, 2009

Oh, bummer. I think she said there were 17 voices in the book. I hope I like it.

The thing with Shreve is you can love one of her books and be bored to tears with another. She She wrote so many page turners, yet I didn't love The Pilot's Wife or The Weight of Water.

Some of the ones I liked best are:

Sea Glass
    The Last Time They Met (the ending blew me away)
    Fortune's Rocks (my favorite)
    Body Surfing
    A Wedding in December
    all He Ever Wanted

She can be a very complicated writer but really gets into her characters.

Several stories take place in the same house, the house of family in Pilot's Wife. Interesting.

37. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

May 21, 2009

I absolutely adored Water for Elephants. Couldn't put down Handle with Care. They are making a movie out of one of her first books, "Her Sister's Keeper." Can't wait to see it.

I have been reading a trilogy by Philippa Gregory who also wrote The other Boleyn Girl etc... It is the Wideacre trilogy

Wideacre
    The Favored Child
    Meridon.

I also really enjoyed "A rose for the Crown" all about Richard III.

38. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2009

I also love Philippa Gregory. When I use to take the ferry home from work, her books were my guilty pleasure. I would buy them in the ferry bookstore and read them while eating sweet potato fries on the way home.

Bliss.

39. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 21, 2009

I loved Ellen Foster. I haven't heard of This Boy's Life. Going on my list:)

40. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 21, 2009

Just read Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland - just as good as her Josephine series!

41. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

May 21, 2009

I forgot to add The Power of One. Captivating story set in South Africa.
    I think This Boy's Life was made into a movie starring Robert Deniro as the stepdad.