What's the key?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by tinafirstgrade, Mar 16, 2007.

1. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

Am I on the right track here?

I will teach the kids procedures and rules and enfore them consistently the first month of school. I will never raise my voice. I will have many positive incentives in place. I will offer choices. I will notice things about kids and be interested in them. I will ignore as many of the petty stuff as possible and constantly focus on the positives. I will show who I am aside from a teacher such as interests and my family to them. I will make learning fun and positive. I will treat each child with love and respect,THEN will I have the class of my dreams?

Am I missing anything here?

3. synapse

synapse Comrade

Mar 16, 2007

You've got much of it covered.

I might add:

Be authentic
    Make decisions based on the needs of your students
    Become an excellent instructor (plan and deliver developmentally appropriate, engaging and fun lessons).
    Develop a classroom culture that is all about community

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2007

Don't stop teaching and reinforcing the rules after the first month of school. Plan to reteach anytime they aren't doing as you want, and you'll also need to reteach after an extended break.

Everything can't be "fun". Everything in life isn't fun . . . sometimes you just have to buck up and do it.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2007

I think you're leaving out a few HUGE variables: the kids, the adminsitration and the parents.

Sometimes we as teachers can do all that stuff exactly right, and one or two kids keep the class from being that dream class.. or even a class you especially love. Sometimes we have to work hard at something which ought to be a given, and sometimes that work doesn't pay off.

Sometimes great kids have awful parents. Even worse, sometimes awful kids have awful parents.

And while I've always had wonderfully professional admininstrators to work with, I realize that I've been exceptionally lucky.

I mention all this for this reason: If you honestly attempt to do all that stuff you mentioned (even "never" raising your voice), you can still have an off year. And it's NOT YOUR FAULT. Sometimes first year teachers can tend to internalize too much, and then not understand why all the textbook procedures aren't giving the textbook results.

It sounds like you have a great battle plan. Now just hope that all the other variables fall into place.

Best wishes!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2007

As usual, Alice has expressed my thoughts so much more eloquently than I could have. What's important to remember is that you will be working with a diverse group of students, parents and colleagues and that each school year brings its own particular challenges and triumphs. Stay strong to your beliefs, make changes if and when you need to. Teaching is all about being flexible and adaptable--that goes for discipline as well.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2007

Thanks Mrs. C.

One of the most remarkable things about teaching is that every year you get a brand new start. You can re-invent yourself over the summer and actually get away with it.

In what other job can you start off with a clean desk, clean slate, brand new start after a 2 month vacation?

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2007

Review, reinforce those routines- not just the first month. I still do it.

9. ElementaryJane

ElementaryJane Rookie

Mar 25, 2007

What you propose will build trust between you and your students. You'll do this because you plan to be fair, consistent and respectful.

That trust will help you ride through the rough times.

Even when I am like a bear with a sore head all week, my students consider it an abberation because we have that trust. Their initial impression of you sticks, so make it a good one!

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2007

Consistency is the key.

11. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Mar 26, 2007

I completely agree. I spent half the year banging my head against the wall, until I realized that half of my problems would be avoided if I would just be consistent and predictable in my response to behaviors. And stick to what you think is right - Don't worry about how a parent will respond to your consequences. As long as your plan is well thought out, and the consequences are dealt in a calm manner, then be confident that you are doing what is best for the child. Parents appreciate consistency too.

12. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Mar 26, 2007

Best encouragement I've heard all year. Thanx!!