What's the funniest or silliest question you been asked?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachingTy2010, Jul 21, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

What is the silliest, craziest, random, funny question you have been asked in an interview?

3. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jul 21, 2010

"Do you have family?" This took me off guard, so I said "in the education field?" "No, no, just family." Ummm...yes...

4. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 21, 2010

Earlier this season, I was asked the following question: "If you opened up your clothes dryer and found two mis-matched socks, what would you do?"

To which I answered (without skipping a beat): "Wear 'em."

5. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

"Do you have any experience with Mexicans?"

My answer..."um....yes, I grew up in South Texas."

6. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

That would be my exact answer.

This isn't teaching related, but a crazy question nonetheless. When I was interviewing for a ballroom studio, I was given a sheet of paper that said, "Why are you here?" with space to write underneath it. Took me completely off guard, but I must have written something they wanted to see since I got the job.

I wonder what I would put if a secretary gave me the same sheet before a teaching interview....

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2010

Can they even ask that? Aren't some questions "illegal?"

8. Braydon's Mom

Braydon's Mom Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

One of my darling little ESL students asked me...."Mrs. R, what is a butt cramp?" hahahah....I calmly replied, "Well Tomas, I guess it's a cramp in your rear end." He seemed satisfied with that response. :) I love that kid!!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Wow. Never was asked a 'silly' question and have never heard one asked by our hiring committee, although we do try to make the candidate relax, make the interview kind of conversational, and yes, we sometimes laugh with the candidates but it's because of the cameraderie of the team and trying to make the candidate feel comfortable not because of silly questions- I find the sock question really strange...wondering what kind of answer they were looking for (I throw mismatched socks in my sock basket and eventually sort them out...that says NOTHING about me as a teacher...and I generally don't wear socks so the socks wouldn't be mine anyway!!:dizzy:)

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

I was asked this by the P in my recent interview and the AP quickly reminded him (in a laughing tone) "You can't ask him that". The P said, "I'm just trying to make him feel comfortable."

The question IS technically "illegal", but it's really hard to point that out in a non-offensive way. In my case, I have two boys in middle school and I'm applying for a middle school position, so it shows I can identify with the parents AND the students as well as the educational goals required by the state.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 22, 2010

I would think, that this type of question might be used to find out if the candidate can think on her feet. School kids come up with all sorts of interesting questions, and we frequently don't have time to think out the answer. I would guess that that particular P was looking to see what the reaction time to a random question was.

I could be wrong though :D

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

That sounds reasonable. As a sub, I've had students ask all types of questions in an effort to get off-topic in class.

Once, as I was going over the assignment directions in a high school class, a female student blurted out "Mr. Cerek, where do you want to be buried?"

Without missing a beat, I said "In the ground" and continued going over the directions. :p

13. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

When I moved from the DC area (where I worked after attending college nearby) to Florida I interviewed at a very small Catholic school.

The Sister who conducted the interview asked me (first question) point blank "So, this is your maiden name? Have you ever been married? Have you ever been divorced?"

I was in my very young 20s and was, indeed, coming off of a horrible and painful divorce from a marriage that only lasted 10 months!

I looked at her and said, "Yes sister."

She didn't ask me more... or question if I was going to begin to Annul the marriage... she conducted the interview and focused on education related questions after, but I felt very badly for the rest of the interview and I am sure it did not go well.

Needless to say, I did not get the job offer.

Thank Goodness I did not give up, as I found a position at a wonderful Catholic school 15 miles away. That principal (who was lay person) did not ask about my relationships!!!!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

I'm math.

To me the most logical answer is: Keep hunting for a 3rd sock, and hope it matched one of the other 2!

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Wow, they knew how to turn a phrase. I hope you steered clear of that school.

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Or maybe it happened to the P that morning :lol:

17. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 23, 2010

They explained that they had one question left and that the formal interview was over. The principal said my answered sounded like something his 3 year old would say. (He wasn't trying to be rude but funny).

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2010

By a 5th grader at the beginning of the year: "Do we know who won the Revolutionary War?"

Ummmm, yeah, pretty much.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

Wow, I can't believe you were asked this question :(

20. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I was asked You just received your first pay check and your students were lining up to go to lunch and you observe a teacher having an argument with a student outside and you see the teacher strike to student, what would you do?
    I understand the question completely, but understand why they included my first paycheck. I'm am an experienced teacher with over 10 years experience, of course I would call administration immediately.

21. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 23, 2010

I thought of a couple others:

Last summer during a screening interview, I was asked "do you have any dependents?" I didn't realize until after it was over that it is illegal to ask questions about dependents.

During an interview at a copy center while I was in college, I was asked "if you were a fruit, what would you be and why?" I was caught so off-guard (which is the point) and mumbled something about being a mango. Haha.

22. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

They asked me "What kind of kid do you have a problem working with?" I thought that was silly because if you have a problem working with ANY kind of kid, this is the wrong profession for you! :)
    -Ali