What's the funniest gift a kid ever gave you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 21, 2019

Almost every year, I get something useful and something that makes me wonder, "What was this kid's parent thinking?" This year was no different. Gift cards were the useful items. The crazy 1 was a big stuffed insect. Am I paranoid, or are they sending me a message? Joking, kind of!
    The most unusual gift I got was my 1st yr teaching. My kids came from filthy rich families. ( Doctors, lawyers, politicians) I got several gold and ruby jewelry gifts from an expensive jewelry store, an envelope filled w/ 100 dollar bills, gift certificates, and a beautifully wrapped gift from a super happy mellow mom. She made me promise to open it on Christmas Day at home alone. I opened it at home/ alone, and was shocked. It was a big bag of weed and a bong. I guess she realized how tough teaching could be!

ThatWouldBeBaaaaad likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 22, 2019

Wow, I’m jealous (except for the last gift as I don’t believe in doing recreational drugs)! I wish I got gifts that expensive and nice (the jewelry and cash). I’ve only ever got a few hundred dollars given to me at most. Lucky, haha!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 22, 2019

Oh, the good gifts were mostly from many years ago.! Now I often get regifted (obvious) items like a Christmas sweater the wrong size, toaster, a box with half the candy gone, and 1 time used red lipstick. This year, it was the big stuffed insect.
    Pot was decriminalized here a long time ago. Then I think they criminalized it again for a stretch. It has been socially acceptable up here for a very long time.
    Most people around here think it is way safer than booze or pharma and I see their point. When I opened it, I think it may have been decriminalized, but I was working under a moral's clause. I think I threw it in a dumpster.
    I haven't drank for a long time with the exception of champagne on New Years and a glass of wine once or twice a year maybe. Our state has a huge problem with alcoholism and violence in some areas. ( not here, though.)
    I do not smoke pot, but I think it mellows people out better than booze. ( Less violence...) Also, I do not think people should be sitting in jail for it.
    That is cool when parents thought to give you money. I remember saying that I couldn't accept the money because I thought it was an ethical issue, but the mom insisted to a point that I'd have been insulting her if I didn't. It is actually very sweet when a kid thinks of you and gives you "used lipstick" because you know they did it on their own, but that insect I got this yr was either bought or regifted. lol :)

5. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Dec 22, 2019

Never given drugs but I've gotten plenty of gift cards. (Usually coffee and video game gift cards because the kids know thats what I like).

Only "out there" gift I ever got was a set of pocket knives. I opened it in front of the kid, thanked them and put it in my desk. Luckily no one else saw it and I just took it home. :)

A kid in my sisters class (elementary) gave her some bathroom stuff like fancy soaps and the kid went behind the parent and put toilet paper in the bag. The kid was proud about it and kept asking her if she liked the toilet paper.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 22, 2019

I had a 2nd grader who proudly brought me a wrapped package, wanting me to open it right away. (This was about 15 years ago.) In the box, was tissue paper, and in the tissue paper was a see-through nightie. I had a really hard time keeping a straight face as I thanked her profusely for it, and quickly tucked it away.

I ran into Mom the next day, and quietly took her aside and asked her about the nightie. She was very embarrassed and said she had no idea where her daughter had gotten it, but would get back to me. It turned out HER boyfriend and actually bought and wrapped the nightie for her, and the 2nd grader had taken it from under the tree because she wanted so desperately to give me a gift. I very discretely gave it back to the Mom, without ever letting the child know.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 22, 2019

Oh, wow! It is cool the kids know what you like, but dang! Up here simple pocket knives in a school have caused huge issues for the kid. It is good no1 else saw them.
    What a rotten kid adding to your sister's gift w/ toilet paper and being a butt about it asking her if she liked it. I'd be tempted to say, " Sure! I'll save it for when you decide to clean up."

ThatWouldBeBaaaaad likes this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 22, 2019

OMGoodness! That is hilarious! I was thinking oh, no! Mom's boyfriend was making his move on you.

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2019

A few years back some of our lower ability kids had gone on a 'Travel and Tourism' trip to Disneyland Paris. On their return they presented me with a neck tie they had purchased. I quickly looked at it as I put it on. Thanked them and carried on with the lesson. When I got home Mrs B saw the tie and I told her it was a gift and it was pictures of the 7 dwarves. She said look more closely, there were only pictures of one dwarf, Grumpy!

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Dec 26, 2019

Oh, my goodness! That is a riot! My eyesight started going and I wouldn't have noticed 7 Grumpys either! :) A few yrs back, I found a really good style of shirt at an expensive shop. I loved it so much that I bought 2 in different colors.
    The next store we went to was a store where you can buy products cheap. I go there to buy household products usually for the discounts. To my shock, they also sold the same style of shirts only they were long sleeved and multi colored.
    They cost about 1/10th of the price there. I was elated and grabbed 2 more shirts w/out trying them on. That night, I decided to wear 1 to the airport to pick my son up.
    When he got off the plane, he was like , " AWWW, Mom! " ( In a quiet, but disapproving way!) " Why are you wearing a Hannah Montana shirt?" I'd never noticed it, but the ones I'd bought cheap had the name Hannah Montana written in cursive within part of the design. So much for the "good deal! :)