What's the first day like?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Marlimoo22, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Marlimoo22

Marlimoo22 New Member

Nov 17, 2010

I've seen many of the videos and I believe in the Montessori method and that it can work. My question is pretty simple, how does one initially implement the Montessori Method? What's the first day like in a Montessori school? Do the children arrive in a certain order based on the age groupings? What sort of works do students need to know to get them started? I'm certain much of this will come when I begin my training, but I'm not planning to begin until I have my Bachelor's in EC-6. Any stories to share from your first day of school in a Montessori classroom? :)

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2010

It really varies based on the school. At my school, we have all returning children from the previous year come for a week, then we start the new children one or two at a time over the course of two weeks. It's very smooth and fluid.

Reinforcing the groundrules is imperative those first few weeks, if not the first few months. Usually by Halloween everyone is normalized and the classroom is running very smoothly. But, order is the basis for the Montessori classroom, so it needs to be maintained throughout the year.