What's the difference between Apple Cider & Apple Juice??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Jul 8, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

Apple cider can usually be found at our local grocery store during the winter.
    Well; we finally located a bottle. I needed apple cider for my fried chicken recipe. I had a taste and it tasted EXACTLY LIKE apple juice?!!!
    What is the difference??

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I believe that the difference is apple juice is pastuerized, cider is not. All I know is, when I was pregnant I could not have cider b/c it wasn't pastuerized. If there is any other differences I don't know them.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

well; that's good to know.
    The recipe I'm using calls for soaking chicken breasts in apple cider and there is definitely not a difference in the taste of the juices.

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Weird. I haven't had apple juice in 15 years. That was all I had when I had mono and now I can't drink it!

Hope your chicken turns out :)

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

One place says this:
    In the United States, apple cider refers to the unprocessed liquid that you get from apples. The apples are washed, cut, and ground into mash before being pressed. The resulting cider usually contains apple pulp and is dark, brown, and cloudy. The beverage is perishable and must be refrigerated. If this liquid is filtered and further processed, the resulting product is apple juice, which has a longer shelf life than cider.

In England, apple cider is an alcoholic beverage that is produced when the juice from freshly pressed apples is allowed to ferment. It's sometimes referred to as "hard cider."

Some ciders and juices have not been pasteurized and may pose a health risk. The FDA requires all unpasteurized drinks to be labeled.

Another says this:
    You might be surprised to learn that apple juice and apple cider are technically the same - they are both 100% juice from the apple. Some apple juice manufacturers also use processes to clarify the juice, resulting in a clear appearance. In fact, the greatest volume of apple juice sold in the United States is clarified apple juice.

Cider is a broad term that is often used to refer to a number of different products (apple cider, sweet cider, hard cider and so on). For example, in the United States, the word cider refers to the freshly expressed juice of the apple. In England and Australia, the word is used to describe fermented juice, which Americans actually call hard cider. When cider is allowed to ferment or partially ferment, it has distinct characteristics that many have come to recognize - including tart taste and dark, cloudy appearance.

Keep in mind, the shelf-stable and frozen apple juices found in your grocery store are pasteurized or otherwise heat-treated (unless they contain the unpasteurized label required by the FDA) and may even carry the label "apple cider" during certain times of the year! It all depends on whether the term cider has more appeal in a particular market area.

SOOOOOOO---which one did you use???

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

I always thought cider had some spices added into it. I don't like apple juice so I haven't tasted apple cider.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2008

Apple cider- from a cider press- tastes so much different than apple juice. I tend not to be an apple juice drinker, but LOVE apple cider. We have local farms which press their own cider.

Here's an online description for you:
    Apple Cider vs. Apple Juice
    Apple cider is essentially apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process that removes coarse pulp or sediment. Cider may or may not be heat pasteurized. Apple juice has been filtrated, pasteurized, and vacuum sealed to give a longer lasting, clearer looking product. Most juices add additional water and other ingredients to maintain flavor and clarity. Outside the U.S., the term "Apple Cider" typically means "Hard Cider" while "Apple Juice" usually will get you a sweet cider.

I think you could substitute juice for the cider if you need to...just might result in a more mile 'apple taste'.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2008

It always seemed to me that apple cider was cloudier than juice, but otherwise they seem pretty much the same. I don't think the cider has any spices in it, but many people add spices when they serve it hot. My mom would always heat it up on the stove or in the crock pot with some red hots (tiny cinnamon candies) and some cloves. MMM! It's one of my favorite things about autumn.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

Don't forget to tell us how it tastes!

13. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Thanks for the post-I like the looks of the recipe.
    Remember there is also apple cider vinger....:unsure:.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I almost used the vinegar til I remembered that she said apple CIDER. hehe

Yes, I will post the taste results! :)