What's the Best Darn Pencil Sharpener Around?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TampaTeacher, Feb 8, 2008.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 8, 2008

Before school started, I bought one of those old fashioned manual pencil sharpeners that clamps to a countertop and has a handle you crank. It broke on day one. I bought a mid-range electric sharpener, and the motor burned out in a week. Since then, I've just kept buying the little ones that look like the sharpeners you use for eyeliner. Those are the best so far, but they take forever when several students want to sharpen pencils at once.

I think I'm ready to quit buying cheapies and invest on a durable, quality sharpener.

Any suggestions?

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 8, 2008

I've yet to find a really good sharpener that the kids don't kill, but if you like them using the little cheap handheld ones, get several to save time. I have a desk in my room specifically for pencil sharpeners, and about 8 or 10 of those little ones are on it (along with the electric one). A bunch of kids can be sharpening at once. Of course, they tend to visit there also ... but that's another issue.

4. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Feb 9, 2008

I like the blue Exacto brand sharpeners. They stop once a pencil is sharp. And I NEVER let the kids use it...

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 9, 2008

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2008

I got an X-acto and have been disappointed. My $4 battery operated number from Walgreens works better.

The one thing that has helped is to require Ticonderoga pencils. They are the only ones that seem to sharpen evenly. I do all the sharpening myself.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2008

I'm not sure which is best but the sharpener needs to be quiet....:)

8. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2008

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! Since I want the kids to sharpen their own pencils, I think the best option might be just to buy a bunch of little hand-held ones.

Hmmm ... the idea about using Ticonderoga pencils is interesting. My school is Title 1, so the parents usually just buy the brand that is cheapest. I can't fault them for that, but maybe I can buy a bunch of Ticonderogas to give out as rewards.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2008

The graphite in the middle of them isn't off-center and that's why they sharpen better. We used to sharpen off half the pencil before getting a good point before I switched over.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

I have to jump on the :down: with X-acto club. I went through two last year because they would quit working or wouldn't sharpen the pencil. Towards the end of the year, I just bought each student the small sharpeners and had them sharpen them at their desk. They had baggies to put the shavings in.

11. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2008

BAGGIES! Of course! Why didn't I think of that?! I've been telling the kids they had to come to the trash can to sharpen their pencils - way too distracting. Thanks, Smalltown!

12. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2008

:D Your welcome! Just make sure you go over the rules and procedures for this. I had a couple that no matter how many times we went over them, they would do their own thing anyway.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

Bostitch EPS12HC - SuperPro 6™ Commercial Pencil Sharpener, about $85. Faster and quieter than the cheap electric ones. Won't burn out.

I like the idea of cheap, individual, manual sharpeners for each kid. But it wouldn't work for me. I work at a continuation high school. It is a win when a kid even makes it to school. I have to give out pencils every day. Giving out sharpeners everyday would be too much.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

I have a cheap-o Exacto one from Wal-Mart, and so far it's lasted about a year and a half. I think I paid around 8 dollars for it.

It does make a god awful noise, though. Ugh.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 9, 2008

Someone posted on here that the individual ones aren't the best idea because kids can take them apart and use the blade (even in a playfully ignorant kind of way).

16. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2008

Sigh. You make a good point. :(

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

I know a teacher who has had a Panasonic sharpener for three years. I can never find the one she has though. Has anyone heard anything about IPoint pencil sharpeners?
    I hate Xacto. I think I've gone through 7 or 8 in 3 years teaching. And part of the time we didn't have a sharpener at all so I would take all pencils to another class after school for sharpening.

18. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Feb 9, 2008

I bought my electric sharpener for like $9.99 at Walmart in August, and it still works. It's loud and obnoxious and not all that quick, but it's better than the wall sharpener.

19. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2008

And that was one of the things we discussed in our rules and procedures for using the sharpeners. And anyone caught doing it got it taken away and had to use the manual one on the wall.

20. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Feb 9, 2008

I don't like the kids having the individual sharpeners because that's all they do is sit there and sharpen. They write a single letter on their paper, and then -- OH! Pencil's not perfectly sharp anymore, I need to sharpen it again!

21. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Feb 9, 2008

I have had an ipoint. Actually, two. The first was knocked off a desk and broke. The second one did a good job until two weeks ago. It was acting funny. When I tried to take the top off it broke. The custodian said the same small piece is broken. I also have a very expensice xacto. I even bought new cutters for it. The motor is fine but sometimes it is fincky.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2008

Do you all sharpen colored pencils in yours?

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

I hate electric ones - I will only have a crank one. And the best one I have is the one I have at home - It's a heavy duty Boston self-feeder 4, and it has to be from the 50's at the latest. I found it in my Nana's house. :)

24. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Feb 9, 2008

I use an x-acto (I think it was the more expensive $25 on from Office Depot. Its stops automatically when the pencil is sharp). I taped a sign to mne that says "No Colored Pencils". My students joke that it is a racist pencil sharpener. I tell them it is "colorist". But suprisingly the sign works, I don't think anyone has attempted to sharpen a colored pencil in it. I have cheap plastic sharpeners from Dollar Tree (8 for $1) for the colored pencils.

25. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

If you want quality you have to get an ancient pencil sharpener. I have gone through crank pencil sharpeners too, the handles break and the container won't stay on. The crank ones are Xacto brand too, which makes me not like them even more.

26. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

That's hilarious!

27. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

So I guess I won't be ordering an IPoint pencil sharpener this year. :(

28. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Feb 9, 2008

To all of you with Xacto sharpeners NEED to listen shh... here is a secret I recently learned : If you open it up and turn over the top (where the sharpening mechanism is) there is a silver "button" if you push it, it will reset it!!! I just learned this from a co-worker!! Who would've thought! Mine is back to working wonderfully. I have to say that I have not allowed my kids to touch it, just in case.