What's the best compliment you've ever received from a student?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Sep 19, 2009.

1. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

Ok, this was my best and first. I was teaching middle school math in 1978 right after I graduated college. I had the lowest math kids. I had a boy in the back named Michael. I was told he was the worst kid in the school. I just treated him like the rest. He asked for help a few times and I did my best. It was a very tough class early on. After the first or second week he said "Mr. A. I want to shake your hand and thank you, you are the first teacher that has tried to help me" I was hooked forever after that.

2. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

When one says "You're just like my dad".

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 22, 2009

I just had a student email me that he's taking a college class in addition to his high school work (he was my student last year) and he wishes I was his teacher rather than the professor he now has. I almost regret talking him into trying Honors English or he might have been my student again this year. Ah well...

4. ecl

ecl Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

I had my students write I Wish poems (from the book Wishes, Lies and Dreams).

One little girl, who had lost her mom several years ago, wrote, "I wish Mrs. L. was my mom." I had tears coming out of my eyes after reading that.

5. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 23, 2009

The best is when they tell you that they love you and they show you by coming back while in high school "just to see you." However, my best of best is one of my parents this year, who at one time was one of my students, she called me the "most awesome teacher in the world." That's a heart happy feeling!

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 25, 2009

This is a beautiful thread:)

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 26, 2009

The most current one was yesterday. A little girl said, "This is the best year of my school career." She's second grader. LOL

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 26, 2009

I love it when last year's students come back and thank me for teaching them something.

The sweetest thing so far this year happened yesterday and I wasn't even there. I had foot surgery yesterday and my kids made me cards in class. One of my fellow teachers brought them by last night. Several students wrote that they had a moment of silence for me at 10:15 which was when my surgery was scheduled. I almost cried when I read that.

9. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I teach junior high and I ran into a student that I had last year (who is now at the high school) at the mall and first of all he actually said hi - not something "too-cool teenagers" will do. But then he asked me to teach at the high school because I was a good teacher.

That really touched me. Just when you think that you haven't made an impact...

10. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Sep 26, 2009

11. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

"I want to be a teacher just like you."

I love hearing that from my first graders.

12. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

i got two this week!

one was "social studies is so much fun this year!"

another was, in math, "why does this make sense all of sudden?" okay it's not really a compliment but i took it as one. she finally got it!

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

"When I started your class, I didn't like music. Now I like music."