What's the best class pet you've had?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Becky123abc, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I ordered a 6 gallon fish tank from wally world. I was thinking of getting some other sort of critter...any suggestions?

Becky 4th grade

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

Fish. I had 2 fantail goldfish. The kids loved them.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I went to petco and got three mice. They have to be all female they dont spray urine everywhere like the males. If you mix the breeds they will mate but males get aggressive and they will eat the females. I have had mine a year and a half. They are low maintance. The kids love them. I make sure they use germ x before and after. They have never bit anyone. They are so cute. I have a white one a bluish and tan one and a choclate one. I also heard the big walking sticks are easy to maintain. :)

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 10, 2008

Fake fish! LOL You know the plastic kind that float up and down with the bubbles. No feeding, no deaths of pets to deal with. LOL

I would like to have a pet if I knew my kiddos wouldn't torment it.

6. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Snails are fun!

7. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

In my room last year, we had two guinea pigs. The students loved them. They loved to help clean their cage. But make sure you get young ones because we had one died during state testing week and it was a big deal. Student also loved picking a named for the new guinea pig. They picked Rosalena. I have no idea were the name came from but it was a lot of fun.

8. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Our guinea pig jumps up on his house and hops around like a rabbit. The kids crack up with him in our class!

9. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I currently have a 30 gallon tank with an orange blood parrot and a yellow cichlid. The kids LOVE it! I was thinking of getting a hamster, guinea pig, or bunny but everyone I mention this to tells me the room will stink up like a petting zoo! Is this true??

10. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I have to clean once a week or so! But it is not that bad if you keep it clean.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

I have hermit crabs. They are very low maintenance, but you have to set up their habitat properly or they will die.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

During my spider unit, a boy brought in a spider he captured in his backyard. That spider became our "pet' for a month-and it was cool. We watched it spin a web, fed it bugs, and watched it feed. The boy's mother was thrilled that he brought it in...she told me she was tired of it being in the house!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2008

I had two guinea pigs and they were they most wonderful pets because they communicated with darling coos and chirps. I think my favorite, though, was the rabbit who led the janitor on a midnight game of chase throughout the building!! He was not a happy man.

14. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I've really enjoyed all of these replies, but Upsadaisy, yours made me chuckle the most! Poor custodians! They go through a lot in an elementary school!

I'm leaning towards a couple of guinea pigs! I need to read up on caretaking...I've never had any sort of pet like that.

Thanks everyone!! I'd love to hear more pet stories!
    Becky 4th Grade

15. thirdgrade

thirdgrade Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I will be a new teacher this year in third grade. I have had my heart set on guinea pigs in the classroom for as long as I could remember! I raised them as a child,and they are such fun little critters. I am going to pick up two tomorrow from a post I made on craigslist about a teacher wanting a classroom pet. :2up:

16. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Aug 10, 2008

What about a frog?

OUr classrrom name was Leapfrogs so we had a fire bellied toad for a while.

Out of curiosity, what happens to the pets at the end of the year? Does someone take them home or do you take them home for the next year?

17. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

thirdgrade, that's wonderful that you are already so knowledgeable about gp's! I have to learn everything about them from the beginning...(if I go that route!)

Congrats on your craigslist find! That's great!

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

My gerbils have been awesome. I think they're coming in for visits this year, though. My family has gotten quite used to them.

19. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I was given hermit crabs by a former student. I am not a big fan of pets but these are soooo easy to take care of even easier than goldfish! They love peanutbutter and fruit. They don't need extra attention and the kids love to play with them!

20. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

We have had:

read eared slider turtle
    red eyed tree frogs
    fire bellied toads
    gerbils
    guinea pigs
    hedgehogs
    fish

I think the easiest to take care of are the gerbils. You can feed them dry dog food and they can chew up cereal boxes to make their bedding. Very low cost as well.

The ones the kids have loved the most were the red eyed tree frogs. They were VERY difficult to care for, though. I had to get fresh live crickets weekly and it was a bit of a hassle. They were neat, though.

Now in the state of Ohio, there's a law that states that you cannot have reptiles in classrooms with children 5 years and younger. OUr school now has a rule that you cannot have more than one pet in the space at a time. Blech. I hate that rule. This year we'll have fish and a guinea pig.

21. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I have the guinea pig at home and I love it.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

I love my bunny. I got him as a baby-he fit into the palm of my hand. He thinks I'm his momma, and he is totally my baby. I can even cradle him on his back like he's a little baby. He chews freakin' everything, but he's so cute that we can't stay mad at him. He does little flips in the air and licks your hand and is just perfect. I love it when he hops on the couch and snuggles with me. He's so tame, and he potty trained himself-he only goes in his cage. He will sometimes just flop down under a desk and lay by a kid-that's the best. He's great.

Pictures of bunny!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/sets/72157605925037729/

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

What a sweet bunny. Love the harness, too.

24. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 11, 2008

During my first year of teaching, I adopted a dwarf hamster from a co-worker. Petco sold her a pregnant hamster that ended up having 4 babies about a month into the school year. My class adored Henry, and a few months later I began granting students the privilage of taking Henry home for the weekend (with the permission of the parents, of course) as a reward for hard work and good behavior. Unfortunately, this plan backfired during the 3rd home visit where Henry had a fatal accident. Natually, this was devastating to my student. However, it also taught the class a valuable life lesson. The parent replaced our pet hamster, whom we named Henry Jr., but it wasnt the same. He wasn't as friendly as our original pet and I could not allow the students to handle him because he would bite.

Last year I decided to get a black moor goldfish that I name Fudge. We started the school year by reading Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and my kids got a kick out of where I came up with our pet's name.

Also, in the fourth grade at my school we do a science unit on ecosystems that include guppies. At the end of my first year, I took home 6 guppies that had not been adopted by my students. These 6 guppies reproduced and provided more than enough guppies for my class last year. Again, I took home the leftover guppies this summer, and I have an ample supply guppies for the science project in the spring.

Now to my point....fish. I think fish are the easiest class pets, and the students loved them.

25. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

We have a guinea pig the kids named Oreo, two guppies, and a worm bin for composting. I think we are going to add a reptile this year...These critters integrate so nicely into zoology lessons, ecology, and care of the classroom environment.