What's STILL on your To Do List?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LuvTchng, Aug 2, 2007.

1. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I just experienced a fleeting moment of panic...Students return to school in a little over a week and I have so much that still needs to be done! :eek:

Such as:
    Unpack all of my boxes (I changed schools this year)
    Finish setting up classroom
    Complete welcome packet for Meet Your Teacher Day
    Get an area rug for my shared reading area
    Quite a few things left to buy (probably too many to list)
    Finish reading curriculum calendars (I changed grade levels, too)
    Laminate my new bulletin board sets...not to mention cutting them out

Is anyone else out there in the same boat? :anyone:

3. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Yes! I'm in the same boat!

I've worked 3-4 hours each day in my room and STILL can't get it feeling like I want. I always need a ladder, glue gun, etc. and 2 extra sets of hands would be great!

I love my room, but hate having these BIG partitions in it! (I'm new to special ed and they say they help with distractions?) Ugh! They are ugly!

Sigh.....

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

-Unpack about four boxes and organize (which may take 1-2 days)
    -Get my back to school packet together
    -Get my newspaper staff schedule together for the year
    -Purchase an easel to display my "town" sign
    -Continue making mini-lesson charts for writing (86 days of reading is done)
    -Work on a reading activities file (probably next week)
    -Replace 1 table in my classroom (where my science center is right now)

5. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

My principal just gave me our new math book yesterday. It is a change, so I will be writing lesson plans, goals and objectives...

6. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

-clean my room-I have been sorting through posters. They are covering the floor right now.
    -continue writing lesson plans
    -tweak my parent guide
    I KNOW that there is more but my brain is fried from a day full of lesson planning.

7. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

The problem with my list is I knock off something but then think of 2-3 more things to do. It is never ending but we have a hard time being bored with this profession.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

#1~ see my classroom for the first time :lol:
    #2~ see the curriculum guide and my TE's :)

I think I should get those done before my list gets longer!!!

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

I haven't done ANYTHING room related, but that's not up to me. I SHOULD be able to go in my room tomorrow. We'll see.

I have been doing pretty good on planning. I have about three weeks planned, and my curriculum map mostly completed. My website is pretty much done, and also my curriculum night power point. I got all my copies and first day packets for parents done.

So what I need to do still is a little bit of laminating, wash some fabric and some rugs, bring a bunch of boxes to school, and do everything classroom related!! Oy!!

10. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I've been working on lesson plans for awhile and getting stuff ready to make them work. I'm set for most of September & I've started on October.

I just finished tonight putting all "theme" stuff in their own 3 ring binders. Before I had it all stuffed in file folders and in some cases 2 gal. ziploc bags. I bought binders & page protectors to make it all neat!! Plus instead of keeping the "stuff" in the tub with all the things that go with the theme (manipulatives, games, books, etc...) I am now putting the binders on a shelf in my crafty room so that I can get them out when needed instead of lugging the whole box out.

My orientation stuff is all done, thanks to hubby who copied it at work already. My name tags are written on, class lists, birthday lists, carpool list, etc.. are all done. My curtains, pillows, stuffed animals & puppets are all washed and ready to go. Communication folders, writing journals are all done.

I am going tomorrow to clean out and do some organizing in my closet & file cabinets. I think I have some plans to make more fit. We'll see...I'm also going to make copies while there isn't a line at the copy machine! Next week I am going to do my bulletin boards, door, wishing tree (it's ready, just needs to go up) and the hall bulletin boards. (I'm the "team leader" of our 10 four year old classes and do the 3 hall boards so the newer teachers can worry themselves silly with their own rooms) I stay in the same room from year to year and don't typically have to take much off my walls. Makes life so much easier!

I have a few things, but thankfully I've worked on and off all summer to make it less nuts now!

11. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I am right there with you. I have everything to do that you have on your list. Our kids come back next Friday and we have meetings and workshops 8a-4p Mon-Wed and all morning on Thurs. Meet the teacher night on Thurs. night. Our lamination and copy paper hasn't shown up yet (hopefully tomorrow). So, it looks like I'll be spending the weekend at school trying to finish up and running around for last minute stuff.:eek:

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

Holy Moly! I haven't even begun the list...actually, I take that back...I think I checked off 2 things today. My friend and I got together today to do some planning and getting things ready. However, we left for lunch, came back and the doors were locked. We couldn't walk on the hallway floor because the janitors had just waxed...they must have told us at least 8 times to make sure not to walk in the halls. So, we got into my friend's room (she has an outside door) and started yelling down the hallway for help. Finally, someone let us back into the front of the school where our books were. Needless to say, we didn't accomplish everything but we did get a good walk around the school a couple of times looking for the janitor. At least we have another couple of weeks before school starts...exactly 4. (We start on the 30th assuming we don't vote to strike because we have no contract.)

13. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

One question? Why do schools wait until right before school starts to do cleaning and maintenance for the new school year? I mean I can understand not doing them as soon as school is out, but it absolutely drives me nuts that my school waits until August to clean carpets, wax floors and paint the walls. Sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated.

14. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I noticed several people mentioned a lot of laminating to do still - don't forget about Office Max's free laminating on Thursdays. On some other posts people noted that if they weren't close to one they had called Staples who agreed to honor the coupon. Also a tip - those pen shaped wrapping paper cutters work great at cutting laminated items (and slicing butcher paper... I can never get it to tear properly)!

15. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

To do list:
    Send out even more resumes.
    Get job.
    Figure out what to do with a classroom and students once I get said classroom.
    Clean my bedroom and pack.
    Move into new apartment (after finding an apartment).

This is all I feel I can list without having a nervous breakdown. Someone help me! *hides*

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

Ummmmmm to many things to list here lol!

17. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I am so jealous that you have been able to get in your rooms. The custodians won't start waxing our floors until Monday!!!! However, I am going to my room today to try and start my bulletin boards. I used to be an elementary teacher so its hard to break habits. It's weird....all the other teachers in my building don't go back until they have to....it wasn't like that at the elementary level. Buddy, they were in that school working in the middle of July!!!

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2007

TO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D

19. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Ummmm-way too much to write down-I"ll have an anxiety attack!

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

Well, I still have a while before school starts, but will be taking a class, then going on vacation for 10 days... so I will have a lot to do when I get back.

- I need to do HOME VISITS with the kids in my class (not my favorite)
    -Put up paper on the BB's
    -Make job chart
    -Make things with kids name on them (attendance magnents, popsicle sticks, clothespins)
    - Make a new Give Me Five Sign.. Some day I will make one and laminate it. I keep making the SAME sign every year.
    - do a lot of laminating for my new math centers, and a timeline I got
    - prepare and gather materials for math centers
    - put up the alphabet and numberline in my new room
    - Buy a number line
    - Buy composition notebooks and folders for the class. I keep waiting for the cheapest sale possible and am very particular about color and brand.... I will end up buckling if I wait too long!
    - I want to paint my cubbies and a book shelf, if time allows (they are canary yellow right now!)
    - finalize my parent letter
    - plan the first week in detail (first day already done)
    - Organize my desk
    - Organize my book shelves!

It's good I did this... now I have a list. This does not include anything from my life OUTSIDE of school, which is probably longer.