What's so great about 5th grade?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by pumpkincup, Jun 7, 2009.

1. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

My principal has just informed me that I will be teaching 5th grade next year. :eek:hmy: I have taught 2nd grade for quite a while and I love them. I am so sad to leave that age level. I am not very familiar with 5th grade at all. Now, I know that there are wonderful things about 5th graders. Can you share a reason or two as to why you love teaching 5th grade?

Thanks

3. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

They can work independently, participate in very interesting classroom discussions and appreciate a good sense of humor. Also, we don't seem to have as many problems with parents (not that there aren't any problems) as the primary teachers do. I think once you get used to this age group, you will absolutely love it.

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 7, 2009

I LOVE 5th graders! They really begin to mature at this age. Yes, some of the hormones come out toward the end of the year, but most of them are still sweet and really like their teacher. You can have in-depth conversations about various topics with them. They are able to hold a decent conversation with an adult. They can handle larger projects and enjoy working together to complete tasks. I really enjoy the curriculum at this age as well!

Enjoy 5th grade!:D

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 7, 2009

I heart fifth grade. They are deep, critical thinkers (most of them). They can write longer pieces, and they can write FASTER. They can read more mature books, but they also enjoy picture books, opening up a much larger range of reading material. They are also the last group in the school, and I love the seniority that comes along with that. Partner reading with the lower grades, leading video announcements and student council, etc. I love the ceremony at the end of the year and knowing that it won't be long until they graduate from high school (sob). You can still have so much fun with them, but you can also be very serious and talk with them like little adults.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2009

Agree with above!
    I was just telling my husband tonight that fifth grade is the best grade to teach. I have taught kinder for 3 years, and fifth for one year, last year. If I had to choose between kinder and fifth, I would take a fifth grade position without a second thought, even though I have more years in kinder. At this age group, they are old enough to be independent but they are still young enough to still want to try to please you and be silly and goofy. Many are still very innocent and it's just so much fun to joke around with them. The curriculum is also very VERY fun to teach.

All in all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this age group. I'm jealous of anyone teaching fifth!!! :)

Might as well share my (old) fifth grade website! :D

7. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I guess you can tell by my screen name that i heart fifth graders very much!

They are independent.
    They laugh at my stupid jokes.
    They still draw me pictures even though they are about to go to middle school.
    They still want to impress me.
    They can handle group assignments.
    They are at an age where some of them are starting to "get" math....and when a teacher makes math fun, it opens up a great new world for them!

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

After 6 years of K, and 3 years of 1st, I got put in 4th and then 5th grade. I loved the little guys, but the older kids are so much fun. I agree with everything the previous posters said. I know you are in shock right now, but I bet you'll love 5th, too. They are older, but still need lots of TLC.

9. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

BIG sigh of relief! I am in the same situation. I have taught 2nd for many years and will be teaching 5th for the first time in the coming year. I'm so glad I came across this thread! I'm excited, yet nervous. It is SO reassuring to hear many positive things from those already teaching 5th grade. :)

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2009

They definitely have a sense of humor!

11. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

i agree with everything listed above, but having taught 1st and 2nd, i have to say the curriculum is one of the best parts... it's so satisfying when every single kid finally "gets" long-division or can explain why the colonists wanted freedom from Britain. it's challenging to be sure, but seriously, only doing addition/subtraction to 20 got old really quickly :) plus i love hooking my kids on a great read aloud and seeing them go through an entire series of books.

12. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

I agree with everything said above! I love working with the 5th graders at my school! They are able to make jokes and read and write. I don't have to tie their shoes, or help them blow their noses LOL. I like the older kids!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 20, 2009

They are able to appreciate plays on words more and some are actually quite witty! I love it when one of them throws out a one-liner I'm not expecting. Usually it just cracks me up! Fifth graders, by and large, are more able to work independently yet still want the teacher around to help them. They are also still looking to please the adults and haven't quite crossed over to the dark side of adolescent peer pressure yet. Most still fear (ie respect) authority of parents and teachers. And while they act more mature, they still love the stuff younger kids do like playing silly games and getting stickers. I'm moving to 6th grade next year, and I'm not quite sure what to expect. I hope they don't change too much over the summer.

14. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Thank you to each of you for your reassuring posts! I just found out that I'll be a 5th grade teacher for the fall for my first year of teaching. Like the OP I too had mostly been in 2nd (both for student teaching and a long term sub position) and was a little nervous about the older ones. I can't wait to start planning!! :)

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

I love working with the "tween" students I have...they are still kids, who are on the cusp of the teen years. They still want hugs, but it is fun to watch them "be cool". I love how I can talk to them about subject areas, and they get it-and have very thought provoking questions. They make me think, and I walk out each day learning something new from them.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 23, 2009

Exactly

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

I'd love to teach fifth grade. In fact I know we are hiring a new 4/5 teacher and I wish I could take that grade. I'm fine and very pleased with my 2/3 position, though.

Peachy, your link didn't work ?

18. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 26, 2009

My favorite time of year? Spring - the boys start to smell and the girls start to love the boys!

Fifth graders are the best. They can relate to real world examples, reason, and work independently.