What's one thing you're looking forward to?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 8, 2016

Hi, friends!

What's something you're looking forward to for the 2016-2017 school year?

I am looking forward to streamlining the SST (Student Study Team) process at my site and I am also looking forward to facilitating the SST meetings (in the past, this was something my principal had done).

Hope everyone is enjoying their (well-deserved) time off!

~YTG

3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2016

Oh man, those processes are usually so convoluted/ complex so it makes me happy that at least one school is streamlining :)

I am REALLY excited to be switching from self-contained to single subject. Only one lesson to plan for per day!!!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2016

I'm making the opposite move--I'll be teaching all subjects, except French, Music and Gym, to my Grade 7 class. It will be a lot of planning, but I'm excited about the flexibility it will give me to do more integration of subjects and the ability to better meet the needs of my Special Ed and ELL students.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

I'm going to be coteaching with a brilliant young teacher (I'll call him Eric as an alias) as well as my favorite SpEd counterpart (Melissa). She will be working with both of our modified students, so we decided to work as a triad. Eric is in his second year of teaching and he's also incredibly innovative with his use of programming skills, so he's created some modified classroom pages that will make reading much easier for our struggling learners. Melissa and I worked together two years ago and were to the point of finishing each other's sentences, but she was then moved out of my class to work with Eric and another teacher. We've already dubbed ourselves The Dream Team.

Backroads, YoungTeacherGuy and MrsC like this.
  6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 8, 2016

I'm looking forward to my new position as a mentor teacher at my school, as well as being part of the leadership team. I already have my admin certificate so this is the step I need to get into my desired position.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

This year I will have a student teacher ALL YEAR. Their program runs the last full year. I am excited to have someone help me in my room and to help me make myself be organized!

Backroads likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2016

I almost forgot that I'm supposed to be getting a student teacher as well. I could have someone who is doing their first placement, in which case they will primarily be observing, or someone who is doing their final placement, in which case they will fairly quickly take over a majority of the planning and teaching.

mrsammieb likes this.
  9. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I'm looking forward for joining a new school this year, hopefully I will be happy and not too stressed there my first year!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2016

Pay checks :cool:

nstructor and MrsC like this.
  11. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 8, 2016

I am looking forward to NOT being a first year teacher anymore, and using my experiences from last year to improve my teaching this year.

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

I'm looking forward to teaching! This is my first year; I subbed two years ago and was out of schools all last year because of a program I was in, so I'm SUPER excited to get back to a classroom and actually be a full time teacher. (And I'm hopefully looking forward to having my own room, but it's not for sure yet since I was originally hired to co-teach... but fingers crossed!!!)

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 8, 2016

I am looking forward to using the same curriculum as last year. Last year, it was new, so it was a learning experience. I didn't really feel comfortable and confident with it until a few months into the year. Now, I know what I want to use, what I don't want to use, what I need to adapt, and what students will have the most problems with. It's good to know what you're doing.

latasheia and phillyteacher like this.
  14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2016

I am looking forward yo going back to second grade. I taught first last year and I am so ready to have my second graders again. Then I will be looping with some of them.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 8, 2016

My grade level partner in crime is returning after being away for a year!

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2016

To be honest I am not looking forward to returning at all. LOL Not because I hate my job or anything but the summer has been amazing. I just got back from a 5 week vacation with my Dad. It was so relaxing. Plus I am looking forward to the birth of my first grandchild so I want to spend some time with him. However I am looking forward to some PD next week Dr. Jean will be keynote speaker.

DizneeTeachR and otterpop like this.
  17. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I am looking forward to my FIRST year as an elementary teacher! I will be teaching third grade, which is the grade level I wanted. I finished student teaching in May with a school I also substituted with for 3 years (additionally the school I attended as a child)..I was pretty confident they'd hire me, but they didn't. But I can say, I am so excited to meet new people and build new relationships! The principal and my mentor teacher have provided support since the interview. I am definitely grateful for this opportunity and can't wait to grow as a teacher!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    DizneeTeachR, MrsC and Backroads like this.
  18. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 9, 2016

I'm looking forward to having my very own classroom! This will be my first year teaching.
    I was lucky enough to land the grade level I wanted at an amazing school ridiculously close to home!

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2016

Doing something different. In a different district. After 22 years.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    txmomteacher2, MLB711 and mrsammieb like this.
  20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 9, 2016

I'm getting a full year student teacher as well. This is my first ST. I am excited but also nervous! I'm definitely excited for the stipend I'll get it. We also got a literacy grant and will actually be getting paid extra for time spent outside of contract hours on our reading program. Combined these things will make up for the teeny tiny raise the district offered us this year and will feel more like a "real" raise!

mrsammieb likes this.
  21. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 9, 2016

I am looking forward to getting started and getting to know a new group of students. The group I had last year was not a good group. My dealings with administration have been disappointing this summer. I am ready to put that all behind me and have kids to focus on.

DHE likes this.
  22. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 9, 2016

New textbooks! I ordered split edition textbooks for two of my grade levels so I won't have to hear complaints about how they can't carry everything! And of course the layout and organization is much better than my previous books. Yaaaaaay!!!!

23. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

No longer being a first-year teacher! I'm looking forward to fixing last year's mistakes and trying out new things that I didn't get to do because I was too overwhelmed. Even with only a year under my belt, I already feel like I have way more confidence.

I'm also really excited about smaller class sizes. I made the switch to private school, so I'm looking forward to having more time to focus on all of my students (both on a personal level and their academic needs) and trying out lessons that wouldn't have worked with my big classes last year.

mathmagic likes this.
  24. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2016

I'm looking forward to implementing lots of changes based on my reading of The Book Whisperer to my reading work with kids, excited to apply my math PD/new approaches to my math work with kids, and excited to work with a couple of families I worked with during my first full year - my second time that'll happen (my maternity leave position was at the same school as I did my student teaching 4 years before, and I happened to have a brother of one of the kids from that class...so technically that was another scenario, but I didn't know the parents that well at all the first time around). I'll be interested to hear their outside perspectives on what has changed in just the two years!

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 9, 2016

I'm going to be teaching reading with a workshop model after years of teaching math with a required book that didn't meet my students' needs, so I am very amped up about my year!

MrsC and DizneeTeachR like this.
  26. christie

christie Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

I'm looking forward to working with many of the same kids I worked with last year. The nature of my job is that I get to see them and work with them from kindergarten through fourth grade. While this is only my second year in this position, I love knowing who I'll see and how they learn.

I'm in the middle of reading a few different books that have pushed me to change my practice.

27. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  28. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

I forget, did you leave your last job because you had moved, willingly?

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2016

Have you found something new yet?

30. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 9, 2016

I also just remembered - I'm excited for a Monday through Friday job (I know I'll probably end up working on Saturdays too, but it'll be optional instead of mandatory like my current job). Working weekends makes a social life difficult and it always throws me off remembering what day it is!

31. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 10, 2016

It's going to be a new school (merging two schools), I know a lot of the teachers at the new school already, our P left (devastating to us all), there is a lot of unknown, it will be very chaotic as they will either not find a P, or will hire one that will have no experience with at-risk youth and alternative ed, but I know by the time school will start I will be ready and looking forward to all the new things.
    Let's just hope it won't be as bad of a school year as many think. I'm staying positive.