What's on your "to read" list?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jerseygirlteach, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 30, 2013

I am loving being home and have been devouring lots of books (at the expense of all the other things I should be doing ;)). I just finished 12 Years a Slave and started Clockwork Princess (a YA fantasy book - don't judge!). :lol: I'm also listening to Roots in my car - never read it, but wanted to after reading 12 Years a Slave. The next five on my goodreads list are:

Three Cups of Tea: One man's mission to promote peace, one school at a time - Greg Mortenson

On Writing - Stephen King

Changeling - Philippa Gregory

The Reason I Jump - Naoki Higashida

Beyond Outrage - Robert Reich

What's on your "to read" list? Or, what are you reading currently?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

Love your list. My sister got me the Naoki Higashida book for Christmas and it's next on my list. I just finished 6 YA books for a book club I'll be running in the new year and The Maze Runner.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2013

I've been trying to read The Book Thief for at least 6-8 months. I still haven't read it.
    I'm in a book club, and I have to read Things We Set on Fire within the next week and a half.
    I read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn a few months ago (for my book club), so I want to read her other two books as well. (Gone Girl and I can't remember the other one off the top of my head.)
    I want to read the Divergent series.

I have read* 6 books since being on Christmas break. I reread The Hunger Games Trilogy (hence the *) so I can finally watch Catching Fire. I refused to watch it until I reread it!
    I also read a very fluffy trilogy. It was more dark than fluffy, but the super easy to read romance type. I was sick and I was tired of TV and couldn't focus on anything that was deep and meaningful. So fluff it was. It wasn't bad, as far as fluff goes.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 30, 2013

I just finished The Husband's Secret and it was great. I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. I will now either read the new Bill Bryson book or some other book I just got

6. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Dec 30, 2013

I love, love, LOVE The Maze Runner and the other two books in the series. I was really disappointed/bored with the prequel to the series, though. :(

For Christmas, I received I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had by Tony Danza. I can't wait to read that one!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2013

As an educator, Reign of Error by Diane Ravitch.
    As a bit of a nerd, the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 30, 2013

I'm reading 12 years a Slave right now. I hopefully have a couple of books on hold at the library, unless they've returned them by now. One of them is Lone Survivor. I don't remember the other title. I also have on hold Orange is the new Black.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 30, 2013

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - by Dave Eggers

Only about 40 pages in and it is awesome!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2013

I read and loved 3 cups of tea until DH told me there was some controversy about it. After research, I've come to the conclusion that he made up most of it.
    I just finished Sarah's Key, a story that follows a Jewish girl rounded up by French police during Nazi occupation. Wow, it was good!
    I'm starting I am Mulala tonight.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 30, 2013

I have about 80 books on my Goodreads "to read" list. Right now I'm reading 3 different books, one being a YA book. I read a little of each during the day since I'm on break and have so much free time (yeah, I should be folding the laundry but I'd rather be reading)!!!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2013

Hubby got me a Nicolas Sparks book...need to read that!!!

13. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Dec 30, 2013

Reading for pleasure? Quite the foreign concept for an AP English student! I'm trying to make an effort though. Right now I'm fighting my way through "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan in Spanish. I've read it in English, but it'll be the first novel I finish in Spanish so I really want to do it. Usually I make it a few chapters and peter out. This time though, I'm merely reading without writing down words I don't know.

Also on my list is "Dracula" by Bram Stoker. Technically it's for a project but I'm looking forward to reading it.

The Micheal Vey series is good. I have the 3rd book waiting on my shelf.

14. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Dec 30, 2013

I started Insurgent (the sequel to the YA novel, Divergent) a few weeks before break and finished it yesterday. I'm now finally reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and all I can say is WOW! The sequel comes out in January, so this is perfect timing.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 31, 2013

I've always wanted to read that! I think I will put it (and the sequel) on my list!

16. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 31, 2013

I think Sarah's key was made into a movie. I don't know that I could stand to watch it though because it was so sad.:(

17. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 31, 2013

Is the Husband's secret the one where the wife finds a letter from him in the attic?

18. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Dec 31, 2013

I'm currently reading The Monuments Men and The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins.

The next five books on my TBR pile:

Through the Zombie Glass-Gena Showalter

Through the Evil Days-Julia Spencer Fleming

Allegiant-Veronica Roth

Icons-Margaret Stohl

and
    A Feast for Crows-George R.R. Martin

About half the books on my TBR list are YA-nothing to be ashamed of.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 31, 2013

I am reading my Christmas present-The Supreme Macaroni Company. It is the last book in a trilogy by Adriana Trigiani.
    My new year read list starts with:
    The Key trilogy by Nora Roberts
    Twin of Ice and Twin of Fire by Jude Deveraux
    Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer (on hold at library)
    Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverinni (on hold at library)
    The Book Thief

My sister bought me Sarah's Key for Christmas. I read it-it is a favorite of mine- and she gave me a hardback copy.