What's on your To Do list this summer?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Caesar753, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

What school things are on your To Do list?

Here are a few of mine:

Make curriculum maps for Latin I, Latin II H, and Latin III H
    Make weekly lesson plans through the first quarter
    Decide on a desk arrangement/layout
    Arrange club trip to Italy; arrange fundraising
    Make or download document templates and samples to help me get organized
    Plan 2 field trips
    Find intermediate-level Greek and Roman myth books
    Design/plan one special project per quarter per class
    Categorize and label classroom library books

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

organize the third grade book room
    map out the year for math and reading
    figure out how to teach writing
    find a lesson plan page I like to use and will use
    read as many teaching strategy books as possible
    relax
    re-write one of our units with another teacher
    figure our how I am going to organize readers and writers workshop
    create a working math notebook

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

I like Favorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborn
    It's based on Ovid so all the names are Roman

I started to write about my todos, then the list got too long! ;)

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 4, 2007

-plan out my phonics scope and sequence
    -reorganize the math curriculum
    -create a nursery rhyme mini-unit
    -create math centers
    -make a list of procedural reading workshop minilessons for the beginning of the year
    -read and reread some teacher books
    -I need to decide what kinds of journals/folders I'm going to be using... I keep changing my mind
    -decide how I'm going to change my homework policy

and there are lots more, I keep changing and adding...

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2007

Create centers
    Make journals
    Put together theme related things for classroom set-up
    Plan local reading council activities
    Arrange buses for state conference

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

I've already done a lot of the school-related stuff on my list.

buy supplies (I make a list at the end of every year as I put things away and STICK TO THE LIST.)
    paint my classroom (DH did that for me.)
    rearrange classroom furniture (I'd had my room the same for 9 years.)
    complete curriculum map

Still to do on the school list:
    purchase 10 cent notebooks at Wal-Mart (will have them next week)
    assemble shelves
    clean desks
    transfer lesson plans to new form
    update my welcome powerpoint
    create blank access database for the school year (makes printing personalized parent reports a snap)

And for my home list, I planned on sleeping in as much as possible, working in my flowers/garden, cleaning the porch, and doing some cross-stitch. The dry weather has been so bad that my flowers and garden are beyond work at this point. I'd slept in some, but not much. I haven't gotten the cross stitch out yet, but I've still got three full weeks after this week.

8. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

I can't decide if I should make a comprehensive pre-test or subject pretests.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2007

Organize all 7 teachers' manuals into one comprehensive binder.
    Buy new(used) books for my classroom library.
    Level books
    Clean out three drawers.

I wanted to paint my own house but.... see the procrastinators thread to see why I haven't done that yet:rolleyes:

10. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 4, 2007

Balance sanity and planning for my first year of teaching. :D

11. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 4, 2007

I second that.

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 4, 2007

Whoa...where to start??

Organize/label files for desk (have been "faking" for two years!)
    Purge two years' worth of paperwork
    Set up schedule for ELD instruction, K-5
    Study curriculum for said instruction!
    Go to school to inventory and check ELD files in cums (I'm late!)
    Categorize and somehow organize my classroom library
    Plan decoration for my BRAND NEW CLASSROOM (being built)--no sharing!
    Plan out first two weeks, with emphasis on first two days
    Copy over computer files from old laptop to current laptop
    Begin curriculum mapping for year (likely won't happen this month!)
    Lunch with former coworker...find out what classroom equipment she's leaving behind!

I'm stopping only because I'm so overwhelmed looking at this...

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

*Teach 13 days of geometry and physics (I am definately a K teacher, not a mathematician!!)
    *Finish two grad classes
    *Find a job
    *Preview curriculum
    *Plan first month by week
    *Sort out two years worth of teaching materials into what's useable for this year
    *clean my house!!
    *Paint the garage
    *walk the dog more
    *paint something wonderful
    I'll stop there...I have a few weeks, so let's hope this all gets done. :) Is it me, or does it seem that we only spent about a week celebrating being done with last year? And already we are on to the next year. Summer is flying by.

14. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Let's see...this is my first-year so I am constantly adding to the list!

1. Create classroom management plan for 7th graders
    2. Decide/Create class rules and procedures
    3. Create syllabus and first day infomation
    4. Create some opening ice breakers/games for the first week
    5. Create longterm unit plan for the year
    6. Create lesson plans for the first month
    7. Decide how to arrange attendance notebook/student info
    8. Plan on decorations for my classroom
    9. Buy supplies: notebook paper, pencils, markers, glue, rulers, colored pencils, scissors, and construction paper.
    10. Organize above supplies
    11. Buy summer teacher clothes
    12. Review world geography book (when they come in)
    13. Create power-points for first month

I'm sure there are ten thousand more things on my list. I've got 1-4 done and most of # 5 and 8 done.

15. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

1. RELAX :)
    2. Enjoy myself
    3. Meet with some co-workers for lunch and a movie
    4. Work at my part time (non-teaching) job
    5. Watch a student from last year race his motorcycle
    6. Take a student to ice-cream as a reward for pulling it together the last three months of school.
    7. Not think about school for at least a month. I will begin school mode in August. For now, I've given myself permission to forget last year and not focus on this coming year.

This list is extremely negative in teaching point of view. However, I'm burned out and need to revive before I quit altogether and find something else.

I just can't seem to stay away from atozteacherstuff though. So I've been printing ideas and putting them in a folder to review later. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!:love:

16. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I have a book report or two to do for my professional develoment.
    Work on revamping my word wall.
    Create more rubrics - I LOVE THEM!!!
    Organize my files (home and school).
    Clean out my school cabinets.
    Make a home for everything instead of just cramming it in the cabinets.
    Put up bulletin boards. The paper and border are there (I did that in May) so I just need to put the "stuff" on them.
    I intend to get my lesson plans for the first month done (on paper at least) so I can put it in the computer later.
    I'm sure there's more!!!

17. roadrunner

roadrunner Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Clean my house! I was a stay-at-home mom for 14 years and returned to the working world. I never had the chance to use my degree. This will be my third year teaching Head Start and love it. My house was always clean and dinner on the table every night. I'm so tired when I get home, I just want to hide in my closet knowing that everyone was going to be asking me "What's for dinner?" The house went to pot and I can't remember how to cook. The first year was rough, but very rewarding. My second year was ten times better and I was able to apply everything I learned the first year. Now I can't wait for my third year. I'm looking forward to a relaxing summer, reading what I want to read, catch up on movies, gain more knowledge from the many workshops I will be attending. I only have to read 3 books for school. Yeah! I finished cleaning out all the closets, junk drawers and under all the bed. I cleaned out our garage, what a mess. A huge tip, when cleaning out your attic, beware of the insulation. I wasn't thinking. It was hot and I was sweating and wearing a tank top. I didn't realize that I got it on my chest and I broke out in a terrible rash. I have never experienced such a burning itch. It's been 4 days and it's finally diminishing. I learned my lesson.

I still have to lay out my themes for each week for the school year and tweak my lesson plans for the new year. I love to Dr. Jean's web site and Preschooleducation web site to research and add to my lesson plans for activities. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

18. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I've actually gotten a lot done so far this summer. I still need to
    -organize classroom library
    -figure out writing workshop
    -figure out how to do resource students in a self-contained special ed class
    -make a schedule
    -figure out how to implement morning meeting

I saved the big things for last. Go figure ;)

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

This year I have three preps, most teachers only have two but I like the excitmen :) We could have added a class to a first year teacher making her have no preps or I could take on another class to have three in total, I took on three. I have my work ahead of me.
    1. Create a syllabus for my 7th Grade Social Studies Class (Prehistory on to and including Ancient Rome.)
    2. Revise my syllabi for AP Euro and Western Civilization.
    3. Look over my plans and binders for AP Euro and Western Civ, polish, revise/edit, and add in new things when neccessary.
    4. Create my lesson plans (very basic) in chart form for as much as I can for the year for all classes.
    5. Create binders for 7th grade Social Studies for each unit and organize materials by unit.
    6. Create and/or borrows ideas, actvities, readings, projects, and any thing else for my 7th grade class. Also organize them.
    7. Set-up MY classroom with my personal desk and chair that I cannot live without.
    8. Set-up the SMART board and laptops computers I thankfully have this year.
    9. Plan as many technolgy based lessons and activites as possible.
    10. Organize all my supplies and classroom.
    11. Hit up Staples!

20. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

- Teach 16 days of generalized "fun" math activities to 6th. 7th, and 8th graders.
    - Type up a syllabus for science (since I STILL don't know what the heck else I'm teaching next year!) I know it's either pre-algebra or social studies-> ancientciv and Brenden_Ryan, I'll really need your help on this if I teach social studies! I want to plan out more calaborative grouping activities. If I teach it, I am kinda going to teach it like language arts. After all, history is one big long story. Plus, with the interactive notebook and my History Alive program that I bought it's going to be fun. I am going to kind of adapt the history alive program to my textbook, or at least most of the ideas anyway.

- Type up my Rules and Procedures PPT.
    - Plan out science for the first month of school with pretty detailed lesson plans.
    - Create PPT's for my lessons.
    - Try to get passed my math for science teachers class I'll be taking starting Tuesday. I am pretty good at math, so I don't think this will be a problem.
    - go to a science teacher workshop the week after next at the Wild Animal Park.
    - Go to an AVID workshop in August.
    - Type up (or "borrow" and modify) a PPT for the interactive notebooks setup.
    - Type up rules and procedures paper for parent signature.

You know, typing up this list is making me depressed. Like Andrea L I am completely burned out, and the thought of teaching right now is depressing. However, I spend hours on the net researching and getting ideas for next year. I am now regretting signing up to teach summer school. I have absolutely no motivation to go in there and teach on Monday. As much as I like teaching math, I just need a break. Luckily I'm teaching summer camp, which is not like summer school. For summer camp, there is no grading, the kids actually want to be there to learn and have fun. I have no restrictions as of teaching to the standards because I don't have to. I will also be going on a field trip one day a week, so I only have to teach 4 days a week for about 3 hours a day. I just don't feel like thinking up any "fun" math lessons right now. I have some books by Brad Folton, so that will get me started on ideas. I guess I'm a little lost on what I am actually supposed to be doing. This whole thing was not planned very well. I just found out today what I will be teaching for the camp after trying to hunt down another teacher and playing phone tag. If anyone has any ideas on actual fun general math activities, I'd appreciate it. Tonight I'm just not in the mood for even worrying about it. Oh well, I'll suck it up. I guess the good news is that I only have to plan 2 or 3 actual lesson plans a week, because we are supposedly doing some weird type of block scheduling, so I won't see every group of kids every day. They will be alternating of something like that.

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I would be careful trying to teach it like Language Arts. The thing I am a bit concerened with would be that you are only using one source for your readings, you should really look into finding alternative readings to use both from other textbooks, other teachers, and the internet. After all there are so many different perspectices on History. Group activties are a good idea, along with the History Alive activites. What about projects? I teach using the History Alive methods (I think from what I have heard) but I am getting the actual materials next week so I will be integratings the new strategies and activties I discover into my classes.

With the Math good luck it is by far the toughest subject to make fun and relevant to the kids. But remeber mastery of the material is your objective, not making it fun for the kids. In my area the kids are happy to have a teacher who actually teaches everyday, does not swamp them with homework, adds in fun activites when the teacher can, GIVE NOTES, not overly rely on the textbook and gives fair tests.

22. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

I have about 3 or 4 different textbooks that I use to get information from. However, we do not read from them in class. As far as projects go, I have a book full of project ideas for projects to do at home. In class stuff will be mainly, notes, discussions, simulations, writing, reading primary/secondary sources. The history alive activities where I give groups specific jobs, or set up the room in stations will be done in class. One of the activities I'll be doing in class is when we study Islam, and the 4 pillars of faith. Their is a cool activity in the HA book where groups are assigned to one pillar. I am going to make this huge 5 pointed star thing on the wall. Each group is assigned to a section of that star, and they will present their material, and then write in their information on their section of the star. So when everyone's done, we have a big star on the back wall with all of the five pillars of faith. The kids will fill in their own versions of the star as their notes. As far as homework goes, I am torn between not giving them any unless they don't finish something in class, or, if anything, I'll give them a reading passage on what we covered that's kind of like a cloze activity. I think I like the ladder idea. It will take maybe 5 or ten minutes to complete, but will reinforce what they learned that day.

23. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

Terrence that sounds excellent. Good luck. By the way you might want to look into finding some readings online for your topics or creating your own.

24. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Mine are home and school stuff

1. Find a daycare for next school year
    2. Have fun being pregnant
    3. Take home all my teaching stuff (switching to a new district)
    4. Clean new room and put all my stuff in it (August 1st)
    5. Start planning for my maternity leave
    6. Take a couple of classes this summer
    7. Clean the house on a regular basis :)

25. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

1. Get a job
    2. To be determined once I have completed #1.

26. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

When you say readings, do you mean things kids will read in class? Do you have any suggestions on web sites to look for readings? What kind of content do you look for in readings? How do you create your own readings? What information do you put into them?

27. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

To be able to contain dirty laundry to only one bushel (for at least 3 days), have been playing catch up for the last six weeks when my son had surgery. I have on large load of just socks planned for tomorrow and then I will have reached my goal!!

28. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 7, 2007

Good luck! :D

I am with Andrea L (by the way, where are you in Wash?)...I just want to relax and enjoy my summer with my kids. I will go back to school and think about school things in August. I figure July is my time to:

1. work on my kids' scrapbooks (I'd like to have them completed by the time I'm 80.)
    2. read a bunch of books
    3. play with my kids and take them places (zoo, movies, park, etc.)
    4. clean (deep clean) my house...I know, I know...this will be done last; it is always on my list

As for school, I have made lists but haven't done anything with them. Here's what I have so far:

*make my take home reading notebook, bags, and letters home
    *get bins for Everyday Math
    *organize the Everyday Math tool kits for the kids
    *plan the first week of lessons
    *plan my literacy centers
    *plan my math centers/games
    *create lesson plan template
    *make out nametags for cubbies and desks
    *beginning of the year letter to parents and students
    *put together my reading notebook
    *behavior charts and folders for each kid (26 first graders so far)
    *make a schedule for guided reading groups

I'm sure there is a lot more to do. I just can't think right now. It's July...I only mom now. :D

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 7, 2007

To find them on the internet just google the topic and loads of information should come up. Basically you want to makes sure that the readings are on your kid's grade level and contain factual information. My readings that I create sometimes summarize sections of text (from textbooks and other readings) that are hard to understand or I just want to make a concept "short and sweet" for my students. Often my readings are a smorgesboard of information complied from my brain, my college notes, textbooks, the internet, etc. It takes a while, but you can reuse them year after year. My main reason for doing so is becuase sometimes I do not like the way the textbook does things and other times I simply do not want to spend the time reading an entire section of information when the same can be accomplished in two pages of reading.

30. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

I see. So do you do the readings in class? Do you popcorn read? Break them up into groups and give each group a page to read? How often do you do readings in class? On days you don't do readings, what do you do?

31. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 7, 2007

In my High School classes they read in small groups, indepenantly, or with partners it does not matter to me. However, we never read as a class. As a class we take notes from the Smart Board while I lecture, have discussions, review materials and workshets, and play games. When I taught 8th we also never read as a class.

I am not sure what I will do with my 7th graders this year. Probably, start them off by reading as a class by popcorn reading and then eventually having them reading in pairs and/or small groups. Readings I would say are anywhere between 2-3 days per week in my classes. Sometimes they are assigned as homework and other times as in class work. On the days that we do not do readings (from any source) we are usually doing some type of small group project, activity, role play, skit, Interactive Notebook type assignment, etc. Basically my kids get their information from class lectures/notes and readings. I try to do as many of the fun (non reading or lecture) activites as possible, I do do at least 1-2 per week, but it varies depedning on unit. For some units I do not have as many as these fun activties made up so we may rely mroe heavily on readings and elctures for that unit.

32. stary

stary New Member

Jul 7, 2007

Im spending my time trying to teach my children english after I finished teaching other people's kids
    any ideas for my 4 hyper active children??

33. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

Academic-
    -Make curriculum maps for reading and writing (and maybe science or social studies, seeing I'm doing well!)
    -Become well-acquainted with writer's workshop.
    -Organize my school supplies and label areas in my classroom for easy filing.

Non-Academic
    -Spend time with my best friend.
    -Get as healthy as possible (I'm doing well).

What I've already done...
    -Gone to Michigan with my mom for a vacation
    -Filed lots of papers floating around my room
    -Made a curriculum map (calendar) for reading

34. Chucktowngrl

Chucktowngrl New Member

Jul 9, 2007

Hello all!
    I am a first year teacher. In fact, I sign my contract tomorrow to teach first grade in the fall! I am excited and anxious to get started preparing for the year, as I know that there is much to do! However, I'm not sure how to get started. I have started getting some things: a few chairs for reading center, pencils, folders. What else can I be doing right now? How do I start preparing content? I have access to teachers' guides, but how do I know what needs to be covered? Should the district/school provide some sort of curriculum guide? Or will my team help me with that? Should I be writing lesson plans now?
    I'm just sort of confused as to what I should be doing now. I feel that I was not adequately informed as to how I should start getting ready for the year. Any advice would help! THANKS!

Also, any ideas for teaching procedures to first graders, centers, management (my school uses PBIS). Thanks so much!

35. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Hello and welcome. I will be a first year teacher this year as well (as soon as I find a job). Unfortunately I don't have a lot of advise, but your username caught my eye. I'm actually from Charleston, but my husband's job transfered us here to Houston, TX. I just wanted to take a minute to say hello to a "homegirl". Congratulations on your new job. I know you'll do well. Where will you be teaching?

36. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

DITTO!!!

37. Chucktowngrl

Chucktowngrl New Member

Jul 10, 2007

Hey Daddy'sgirl!
    That's funny! I used to live in TX! I went to high school in Grapevine, near Dallas. I will be teaching at Fort Dorchester Elementary in Summerville, SC. Where in Charleston did you live? Good luck on the job search!

38. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Wow! That is funny. I lived in North Charleston. My neice actually attends Ft. D High. Great school district! Thanks, hopefully I'll find something within the next few weeks. The teachers here had until last week to decide if they were going to re-sign contracts. So a lot of positions are opening up... and one of them belongs to me! :)