What's on your To-Buy list for fall?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

I'm going to add a new calendar bb set to my list this summer.

2. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

I hadn't thought about it until I saw this thread, but I have some good ideas now!

Computer Speakers
    Command Strips
    Plastic storage boxes
    kid scissors
    markers
    VGA converter box so I can hook my laptop to the tv to show Ted Talks. I probably won't have a Smartboard.
    Make and laminate a few posters. I want the one that lists all the alternative word choices for "gay" and "retarded", but I haven't been able to find a place to buy one, so I made my own out of construction paper and we all know how long that lasts. I also want the "Save the drama for your llama" one.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 18, 2013

My school just called because they're ordering items from my wishlist. I had a wishlist from my budget (paper, printer cartridge, etc) and I had a wishlist for bigger things, like hooking my projector from the ceiling, docu-cam, possibly a Smart Board.

The secretary said that the P thought of a way to get all my wishes come through if I switch a room. It can be done without it as well, but this would be easier.
    I have to get in the room to really see, but I kinda remember.
    And now I can't make a decision, there are many pros and cons.

My room:
    Pros:
    - big classroom
    - everything is already set up

Cons:
    - internet signal is not the best
    - they'd have to hang the projector from the ceiling, although I was told it wouldn't be hard, because the wiring is already there
    - move and hook up the Smart Board
    - the room is actually too big, too much room for students to wonder around.

New room:
    Pros:
    - Smartboard and projector is already set up
    - it has a separate office. Although I don't know what I would do with it, I wouldn't sit there during class time, but it would be good to have a place to lock up my things.
    - new room, new environment?
    - internet signal would be very good, because it's much closer to the router
    - the room is small, which means students can't just get up and roam around. I used to have a very tiny room, we only had enough room for me to stay in certain spots, and walk around if I really wanted to. It was good in a way, because students stayed put, and I could see everything they did.

Cons:
    - very small room, long shape. Not the best for a classroom setup. Currently they have rows of tables. I already decided I don't want tables after all, because I had a couple to try it out and didn't like what I saw: kids balancing the chair on the back legs: I hate that, and it's hard to break them off of that. They can turn the chairs around: another pet-peeve. A boy and a girl sat together way too close. They can't do any of this with individual desks.
    - I'd have to set up everything all over again, and figure out what to put where
    - the bathroom is right next door. This could be a good thing, but I think students would constantly ask me to let them go. Normally we call it out on the radio and someone goes to open it, in this case they would probably bug me to pen it for them. It would be annoying.
    - The suspension room is very close as well, and sometimes kids want to go there. I can see them just walking out the room and go straight across there.
    - This room is now the computer lab. Based on what I've seen, kids don't really do anything there, they just chill on the laptops and watch youtube (with their headphones on). It's a happy, relaxing place (not how it's supposed to be IMO). I don't want them to associate idea with my classroom.

It seems like I'm leaning towards no, but I might be looking at it too negatively. Of course I need to go and see it again, I've been there twice so far. I just want to gather my thoughts, the earliest I can go is Friday.
    Any thoughts?

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013

I keep mine in bins so we don't have to worry about putting them back in the box. I have a bin for each table and I just dumped a bunch of boxes kids brought in into one bin (we do community supplies.) They've actually lasted really well. Although now that we're down to the last days we'll be using them more since we're finally letting them do fun stuff.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2013

I'm a different kind of teacher. This coming year, I'll be purchasing my own materials to do with the kids. I have quite a few materials now.

I plan to buy:

- iPad
    - more word/language games
    - more wordless picture books

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 18, 2013

New heels -- my nude and black basics had to be tossed recently because they were too worn out. I found pairs that I LOVE at on the Macy's website, but I am going to have to wait until I am out of summer survival mode budget wise. :) They have a nice almond toe instead of a pointy (I am just not a pointy toe type of gal).

Also I just love buying school supplies. I think I am going to pick up some refreshers for my classroom. Definitely need more post-its! Although I will say my favorite sticky notes I have used all year were some Staples brand ones so I might pick up those. Gosh I get excited just thinking about back to school shopping! Hahaha.

7. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

These are great ideas! Especially the refrigerator letters and numbers. I am definitely going to get some too.

I got:
    - a replacement blade for my pencil sharpener
    - a POGIL activities book for Biology (still looking for one for Physics)
    - a new banner for my wall ("MAGIC is really SCIENCE you don't understand.")
    - I am still looking for wide chalk. If sidewalk chalk works on my board I will stock up.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 19, 2013

I have those too! I bought them at Wal-mart. They came two to a pack. Check there too for price comparison. I can't remember how much I paid.

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 20, 2013

This year I won't have to buy much . During this past year, we were able to go to the Worldvision twice for free supplies and so that has helped cover things like staples, scotch tape, scissors, pens, stickies notes, pencils, highlighters and a couple of reams of paper.

Things that I will purchase will be items that are frequently used up and I have in limited supplies. These include
    - dry erase markers
    - color pencils
    - color markers

I'm also needing at least one good stapler, since the one I had for almost five years finally broke.

My wish list of items that I don't have to have but would be nice to have.
    - nice rolling tote to put all the things I carry everyday such as handbag, carrying case for electronics, lunch bag, school papers,ect.
    - hand bag to house laptop and iPads