What's on your To-Buy list for fall?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2013

It always seems like I get super motivated at the very end of the school year. :lol:

I'm compiling a list of things to purchase for next fall. I will probably come back in and edit my list from time to time, but here it is for now:

• A certain book about ancient daily life and culture
    • A pack of those refrigerator letters and numbers for kids (to use on my whiteboard for the date)
    • Multi-colored electrical tape (to section my board)
    • Some cable clips (to secure a power cord to the wall--right now it just hangs down to the outlet and I always worry that it's going to get accidentally yanked out of the wall or damaged by students)

Is anyone else planning to buy a few things for their classroom? Please share!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2013

My much-loved 3M Command Strips make clear pieces to guide cords down or across a wall. Or various other things like computer cables. Awesome! :)

I bought most things last month. Now just to get them all organized and in place!

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 11, 2013

I saw my classroom last week. I literally have a desktop computer, smart board, student desks, and teacher desk. There is nothing else in the room.

On my list:
    Stapler
    Pencil Sharpener
    Paper tray(s) (for students to return papers)
    Various supplies(pens, pencils, grade book, binders, ect)
    Podium(little annoyed this isn't supplied by school)

Think thats it. Hopefully this wont cost a fortune.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2013

I have a document for ideas that gets updated every time I have an idea, it builds over the year. I haven't taken a look at it this summer, but it will be my starting place for purchases.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2013

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2013

I was able to buy a ton through purchase orders. I didn't get much money when I was in the regular classroom, but my principal has been great about giving me more money for the music program. I do still need to get some blank CDs (forgot to order), subscription to a music educator's magazine, and maybe some other books or resources to help with my musical. I would also like some magnetic clips to hang posters on my whiteboard for specific lessons, but I'm not sure where to get them from. I'm guessing any office supply store-but I need to go look.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 11, 2013

Like these?
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-Square-Magnetic-Clip-3-Pack/product_392735

I have several of these - they are a little pricey ($6 for 3), but they are THE best.

Well, we are moving to a brand new school next year, so my list is kind of long. I have some adopt a classroom money from relatives, but I also have some Really Good Stuff items...plastic book boxes (the cardboard ones I used this year are TRASHED at this point), plastic library baskets, a pocket chart to use for my library check out, and a couple bean bags from Wal Mart are currently on my list. I may also need to buy additional shelving because we are not getting much at the new school. Oh, and I'm getting a new tabletop easel for small group instruction from Really Good Stuff. Those are the definites...there are a lot of wish list items.

I will also probably buy books for my classroom library. But I buy at least a couple books every month typically.... :whistle:

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2013

Those are exactly what I want! Thank you so much! I already have some that were in my classroom when I moved into it, so hopefully I can get away with just 2 packages.

10. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jun 11, 2013

I'm going to get some dog bowls with paws or bones on them from Dollar Tree to hold crayons. I'm sure I'll find a few more things at Dollar Tree :help:.

There's a folding hanging file I want to get from the Container Store. It's beautiful!

There's also math journal pack I might buy. It's 30 bucks, so I'm still thinking about it.

I may have to add those magnetic letters you mentioned to my list.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2013

I saw another teacher at my school use them and I thought it was a great idea. I'm hoping that I can persuade a student to be in charge of changing the date on the board every day. It's one thing that I always forget to do.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 11, 2013

I have to restock smelly stickers, get some more colored masking tape, lots of Mavelous tape, and more flip chart markers.

I'll get my typical haul of school supplies for the kids when they go on sale, but I've been seriously considering cutting back on that this year. I shouldn't go to the local dollar store and see these families buy the junk they buy, have the stuff they have, and have their kids come to school without so much as a pencil. It has started to really irk me.

But I know I'll break down and buy the stuff anyway. It's not the kids' fault as they don't control the income.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2013

I'm right there with you. I used to hit up the penny sales like a crazy person, driving all over town and whatnot. I started to notice that my students, many of whom have nicer phones and cars than I do, were becoming too demanding of my supplies. I'm not going to play that game. They can bring their own or borrow from a classmate.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2013

I'm not sure yet what I'll need, but I sense I may be spending a LOT! One of the drawbacks of moving to a brand new school will be the lack of resources--it takes time to build up all that "stuff". I'll have a better sense next week of what we're getting (I'm on the committee to select and order), but know that I'll be on the lookout for math manipulatives and novels.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 12, 2013

I wish I could get away with this, but my district has decided that a free and equal education means providing every. thing. for. every. student. We are prohibited from sending home supplies lists or even posting "wish lists." :confused:

I do get about $400 total for the year to spend, but I can only spend $150 over the summer and get reimbursed. The rest has to be spent during the school year and only through purchase orders (which generally means things cost a LOT more than the dollar store!).

I desperately need to buy scissors for the kids' use this year! I also need to get some highlighters for the kids to use and a couple dry erase board erasers. I'd also like to create some posters and have them printed off. And cardstock. We NEVER have enough cardstock!:dizzy:

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2013

I am switching grade levels, so I will I spend most of my money on new books for the kids to read. We have a TINY guided reading room, with very few books and we don't actually have a reading series anymore.

On the positive side, I applied for and received a grant from the community's education support group, so that money will help pay for some of the books!

17. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 12, 2013

Not much....

-Command strips
    -pencils
    -1 hanging file folder container thing (eloquent, I know) for frequently used stuff like rubrics, ACT tip sheet, academic team schedule, etc.
    -I may pick up colored pencils/markers if there are good sales. I got a whole bunch of crayons last year.

and

if I get around to it, I may make some blackout curtains for my room...but that's probably not going to happen.

18. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 12, 2013

Mostly basic school supplies are on my list. Many of the kids won't bring them, so I'll be using most of my supply money to this end.

The past couple of years, I've tried really hard not to use my own money for any classroom supplies. This year the only exceptions were a few times when I bought small gifts for the students (Christmas, end of year), but that's different in my opinion.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2013

I understand your predicament. Even so, I'm not going to provide for my students just because school says that I can't ask them to bring their own supplies. Maybe their parents will get frustrated enough at them not being about to do basic things in my classroom that they'll call the board and demand that the board start paying for basic supplies. Until then, I will use whatever resources are available to me through the school and not much else. It's the whole "if you give a mouse a cookie" thing. I have my own family to support, not a bunch of students. Their families can support them, and if there's some silly law against that, then the school, district, and/or state can support them.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 12, 2013

Yep. I realized that MY children were going without some back-to-school items they wanted because other people, students included, decided to spend their own money elsewhere. No way am I going to tell my child that he cannot have the mechanical pencils he WANTS because I am spending too much at Staples buying extra paper for my students. And then have the students act entitled to the supplies that I purchased myself? Nope, not gonna happen.

This past year was the first year I enforced such a policy in my class. Amazingly, students were able to come up with what they needed on their own!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 12, 2013

Sometimes if I get a craft store coupon I will pick up something but I rarely use my own money for things for school. We have an office supply order form for things like pecils and glue so I can order pretty much all I want. If it's something not on the list I will buy it myself but it will be for my use only and not student use.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 12, 2013

I am buying binders for myself to hold the units of common core papers. I am also getting some clear contact paper to cover my beloved classroom library. The books are well loved, and falling apart.
    I am sure I will add more as the summer wears on...

23. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 12, 2013

I'm on a quest to find baskets for my class books. Last year a teacher gave me some she didn't want anymore and I think they're wonderful. I have some mismatched baskets I want to switch out so everything is more coordinated. The big problem is I can't find these baskets anywhere! It's going to drive me nuts until I get what I'm looking for.
    I'll also go to a fabric store for cupcake fabric for my small group table and teacher desk.

24. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 12, 2013

I saw a post on Pinterest about covering plastic baskets in fabric so that they all matched. That could be an option if you don't find the right ones and are crafty enough to try!

25. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2013

Those magnets are definitely the best. My co-teacher and I generally have 1 chart per lesson (sometimes more in math) so our charts pile up quickly. Those clips can hold so many. Love them! Def. getting more.

26. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2013

I can't think of anything "big" I need. Most of what I'll get will be bulletin board stuff. Probably another sharpener but I'll get that through Scholastic with my bonus points. I just finished a Donors Choose that won't come til next year, and I have a few other projects going with things I need that will hopefully get funded over the summer. I'm sure I'll use up the rest of my bonus points getting new books. Can't wait to get them but need to know for sure what grade I'm teaching first so I have an idea of my students' levels. Other than that I'll probably get some new storage bins.

27. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 12, 2013

Your're right, I've seen that post as well. I forgot about it until now. I'll keep that open as an option.

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 12, 2013

Did you pin it? My baskets are a mish-mash, I would love to cover them so they are alike!

29. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 12, 2013

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 12, 2013

Thanks!

31. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

Another idea for mismatched baskets - Krylon spray paint.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 12, 2013

RE: Magnets for the board: I purchased mine from Office Depot.: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/387573/Office-Depot-Brand-Jumbo-Aluminum-Magnets/. Less than $6 for 8, and some people actually walk in my room and think I have put real pushpins in my dry erase board! LOL!

Common Core, Common Core, Common Core - all for 3rd grade, because my district/state has provided SO little for us unimportant teachers to use.

Books for guided reading (again, Common Core) - I don't have much for my classroom library, and I CERTAINLY don't have class or group texts!

I saw the most GORGEOUS circular black rug with a gold fleur-de-lis in the middle today - have to find out the price, but it would look SO cool in front of my "teacher chair!" (Can you tell what my classroom theme is?

I purchased 6 1" binders from Office Depot today (3 black, 3 gold) - they have a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale on through Saturday. I'll probably go back and get some more.

Supplies for the kiddos. I know that only about 1/2 will bring supplies, and will never bring supplies, even if I have them writing with blood on stones, lol. I'll just hit up the "penny" sales. Luckily, I still have a lot of crayons left over from last year, so I shouldn't need to purchase any more (3rd graders aren't allowed to color much, anyway). I know I'll buy tons of glue - sticks and bottles, and GOOD pencils (Dixon Ticonderoga) because the cheapies tear up my sharpeners.

33. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2013

I teach 3rd grade. We asked for crayons last year. We still don't need anymore next year, that's how long they've lasted.

34. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

How did you state your policy and how hard was it to enforce? Did you make students sit doing nothing because they didn't have pencils?

As for supplies I'm planning on buying - IDK. We all handed in a small wish list - a wish list for small items that is. I won't know till right before school starts whether I'll get any or all of the items I listed. I have a new room this year (finally one with a window!) and I still have to get a feel for it. Not sure what I'll need for decorating, how the desks will fit, etc. However, I did resharpen all my crayons and colored pencils from this year, sorted the markers and got rid of the ones going dry. So my craft boxes are all set to go. I gave up buying all new stuff each year at about my third year of teaching. Last year there was some extra money (WOW!) and I was able to stock up on bright colored copy paper, highlighters, dry erase markers and binders for last year's kids. The district posts these crazy supply lists that contain mostly things we do not use in our school!

Oh, I will also buy command strips. Love those things! Will have to look for the wire organizing one.

35. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

I use them with my eighth graders, but they don't usually last well. They like to break them and put them back in the box or leave them on the floor. Usually it is only few that are broken, but so many crayons and colored pencils from my group craft boxes were broken on year that I no longer provided them. The kids were upset, but tough. If you can't use my supplies without breaking/trashing them, I'm not going to supply them.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2013

Brown boots

Navy pumps

37. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2013

I'm not sure yet. I know I am moving classrooms (today, actually, really excited) but I don't know what's in there. I would love a new electric sharpener and a carpet but I probably won't bother with the carpet....too expensive! I would also like some computer speakers because the speakers on my LCD projector suck.

38. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

I don't need much this year (for a change!). I need to pick up:

- Four black crates
    - Stickers
    - Two big bottles of hand sanitizer
    - A pack of Swiffer dusters
    - Light blue bulletin board paper
    - Some more tropical border

I'd like to get:
    - A few more tropical decorations (ooh, I'm hoping I can find some fun string lights at the dollar store!)
    - An electric hole punch

A very, very generous parent gave all of her kid's teachers a very, very generous gift card at the end of the year, so I think only a teeny amount of money will be coming out of my pocket :)

39. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

Pretty much everything!

I've taught for a bit over two years, but next year will be like my first. I taught for two years 4+ years ago, then I accepted a co-teach position this March and everything was already set up and provided.

In August I'll be at a new school in a new grade.

So I'll be purchasing all room decorations (thanks, TPT!), pocket charts, a rug, a teacher's chair, book sacks, magnets, electric pencil sharpener, bulletin board fabric, and who knows what else! It's going to be an expensive summer!

40. dreamcat

dreamcat Rookie

Jun 13, 2013

I am going to be starting my first full school year (I came in last year around December) so I need to buy a lot! I am also going from 6th grade to 11/12th grade mix so I definitely need to buy new books for the library, new dry erase markers, paper, card stock, book bins, crates, binders, room decor, and a new sharpener are just a few things I can think of right now. :D

41. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 13, 2013

:thumb: LOVE it!! :D