What's on your school supply list?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ha336, Jun 21, 2016.

1. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

I will be teaching first grade this year (previous experience in third) in a very rural, low-income area. I would like to keep the school supply list cost-efficient for parents, but want to be sure all of my bases are covered. Any suggestions? Anything unique or special on your list?

Thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2016

Make sure that the majority of the items on your list mesh nicely with the items that are loss leaders for major stores like Walmart and Target, as well as the office supply stores like Staples. These stores have monster sales where they are almost giving away things like crayons, journals, and notebooks. I work with a population where we provide everything for them, and I eat these sales up - so much cheaper than what it costs to purchase the same items from the standard school vendor (Quill), so I pay out of my own pocket for the "give away" stuff and use my budgeted funds to buy pens, lots of pens, mostly blue ink, since it seems that staff (not the kids) will lay their pens down and someone walks off with it. I have decided to be the provider of pens, just like my next-door neighbor is the provider of pencils - they walk off with the students.

4. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Thanks for the advice! And I love the idea of being the providers of pens and pencils! It really does take a village...
    Can you expand on what are considered the "loss leaders"? Also, when do the sales typically happen? I would like to purchase some extra supplies myself.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 21, 2016

Here is the supply list for our school, which is in a very HIGH ELL and low income area. Most of the students get their materials from the Dollar Tree.
    Grade 1
    1 Backpack
    4 Marble Composition Books
    2 Boxes of Tissues
    2 Boxes #2 Pencils (NO MECHANICAL PENCILS)
    1 Set of Crayola Washable Colored Markers
    1 Box of crayons (no more than 24)
    1 Box of Colored Pencils
    1 Pair of Child’s Fiskar Scissors
    6 Large Glue sticks
    2 Pocket folders (plastic preferred)
    1 Ziploc gallon size bags
    1 Ziploc pint size bags
    1 Antibacterial Soap
    1 Hand Sanitzer (not the pocket-size)
    1 Lysol Disinfectant Wipes
    1 Pencil Box

ha336 likes this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2016

I apologize for possibly seeming too simple here (I'm fourth grade, anyways, and in a much different socioeconomic area), but do you have other 1st grade teachers at your school, or possibly just utilize either K/2nd grade or previous 1st grade lists for your school? As helpful as the other posts are, you might also want to check that you're not reinventing the wheel or straying too much from the rest of your staff.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2016

Loss leaders are products sold such that the store actually loses money on the purchase, but with the intention of getting you to spend money elsewhere in the store. Somewhat like Black Friday, where they'll often offer huge discounts, hoping that you'll buy other items in their store, or shop there more during the holiday season and beyond.

The sales will probably start up here in the next few weeks (if not already), and really ramp up in late July/early August. Start scouting the Staples/Target/Walmart/etc... ads!

ha336 likes this.
  8. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 21, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    ha336 likes this.
  9. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 21, 2016

I would ask for two boxes of crayons. Ours are always destroyed by Christmas and the price goes way up by then! I ask for most of what the above poster does, but I would add a roll of paper towels.

ha336 likes this.
  10. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Jun 22, 2016

I come from a private school where students only have to bring a backpack, change of clothing, and water cup and everything else is provided for them, but I am heading to a charter school. Having students use paper/writing utensils from home for in-school assignments is going to be a big change for me.

11. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

Unfortunately, it's a very small school with only one teacher per grade level. I won't be able to meet with the Kindergarten and 2nd grade teachers until the week prior to school beginning :(

12. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

Thanks for all of your help! I'll definitely be hitting the back to school sales to help out my families!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2016

Loss leaders are sale items on which a store makes little or no money from the sale. I've already started seeing some school supplies on sale (that makes me sad- I just got out Thursday...I don't want reminders of back to school! LOL). Stores offer these sales to entice you into the store where you will hopefully purchase other, regular riced, items. Such loss leader back to school items include things like 10 cent packs of pencils, ten folders for a dollar...check the ads for office supply stores, KMart, Target...even my grocery store has such sale items.

ha336 likes this.