What's on your School Supply List that Parents are required to buy!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Pre-K Teacher 1, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jun 7, 2007

Our list....

Paper towels (4)
    Baby wipes (2)
    Facial tissue (2)

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 7, 2007

In TX public schools it is customary for the parents to supply all school supplies. Each school sells school supplies pre-packaged in shrink wrapped packages before school starts for one price, each grade level has a set list. In Michigan, where I am originally from, the school supplied everything but things like the ones you listed. Here is our current school supply- at least as much of it as I can remember:

3 boxes of Crayola crayons- regular colors
    1 box Crayola markers- classic
    2 regular #2 pencils
    2 chubby beginner pencils (some teachers on my team prefer these, I don't use them)
    1 pair Fiskars blunt scissors
    1 box Kleenex brand tissue
    4 Elmers regular white glue sticks, large
    2 cans Playdoh brand playdough (other teachers on my team use these, I prefer to make my own)

The items listed above are what is included in our pre-packaged supplies. We also ask for baby wipes from the parents because the school supply company doesn't carry them.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 7, 2007

It's also expected here that the parents supply their kids with things, but we don't have an option to buy right from the school. I just finished modifying the supply list that my director gave us this year (our first) so that it works for next year.

My list is:

1 box 24 count crayons
    1 box thick markers
    1 pair of child-friendly scissors
    4 glue sticks
    2 bottle of glue
    1 art smock (an old adult sized button down long sleeved shirt)
    1 composition notebook (communication book for us and the parents)
    1 bottle of hand soap

Then I will ask at open house for each parent to sign up to bring one of the following of the following: baby wipes, tissues, or various sizes of EZ zip ziploc bags. This year my director asked everyone to bring 2 tubs of wipes, 2 boxes of tissues, and a box of gallon sized ziplocs, and I have SO many extras that we wont be using this year. I think it will work much better next year to just get a few of everything adn ask for more as I need to. This year I ran out of soap and asked the parents if anyone could help out and send some in- I had parents that literally took the soap right out of their bathrooms for us! Every single kid brought in soap by the end of the week- and I had just asked, not required it! My program is free to the parents so I think they are just more than willing to pitch in where they can.

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

Wow!

I see that we don't nearly ask for enough!

Vanna, I know that I have a play dough sign-up sheet for the year and parents make it. I love this play dough much better than store brands!

6. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jun 8, 2007

Being a private ~ state licensed~ Child Development Center, we have a "registration/supply fee" each semester. But... in my opinion, we lose out because things always arise that some of the budget for the little things, could have been used for the actual classroom stuff.

I provide alot for my classroom out of my own pocket ~ Tissues, soap, Folders, etc...

This upcoming year, I am going to provide only 1 folder per child ` but then charge 25 cents for the first replacement folder, and 50 cents for the second.

My parents just can never seem to KEEP the folders!

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 8, 2007

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 8, 2007

Baby wipes

I noticed a few of you ask for baby wipes. What do you use them for and how often? I have one package here that lasted a year!!

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 8, 2007

Baby wipes:
    are great for quick messes, wiping off sticky books, desks, markers, dry erase boards, keep some with you if you go on field trips!

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

I wish I didn't need to ask for baby wipes :( We need them because we have no sink or bathroom in our classroom or anywhere near our classroom so the kids will wipe their hands off on them after we use glue or paint etc.

11. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

elmer's glue (2)
    glue sticks (4)
    children's scissors (1)
    pencils (2)
    colored pencils (1 box)
    markers (2 boxes)
    crayons (2 boxes)
    watercolors (2)
    tissues (1 box)
    pipe cleaners (1pkg)
    feathers (1pkg)
    stickers (1pkg)
    1 misc. craft item of their choice

12. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 9, 2007

I use baby wipes for everything! I wipe tables down with them at least twice a day, use them to wipe up spills, as my eraser for my dry erase board (I'm sorry, but I have not found anything "dry" that works!- I prefer chalk!), wipe down the faucet and handles when those not quite clean but very soapy hands turn the water off, and some of my parents supply "Wet Ones" instead of regular baby wipes that I give to the kids when they play with the chalkboard or get just a little bit of something on their hands after an art project. Saves a ton of time at the sink.

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2007

In my Self Contained Special Education classroom, these are the supplies I request from the parents. All parents are supposed to purchase supplies for their student at the start of the school year, however, we are a low-income Title I school and it is rare that the kids come in with everything on the list.

1 Box Crayons (16 count)
    1 Complete Change of Clothes
    1 Box Markers (wide tip)
    1 Box of Baby Wipes
    3 Spiral Notebooks (70 sheets)
    1 Bottle of Hand Sanitizer
    3 Solid Color Folders with pockets
    2 Boxes of Ziploc Bags (Quart)
    1 Pair of Scissors
    2 Boxes of Ziploc Bags (Gallon)
    3 Gluesticks
    2 Boxes of Kleenex
    1 Ruler
    1 Pack of Wide-Ruled Notebook Paper
    30 Yellow #2 Pencils
    1 Package of Construction Paper
    1 Bottle of Glue
    1 Package of Velcro (adhesive back)
    1 Pack of Index Cards (3x5 or 4x6)

14. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 9, 2007

That reminded me, I also ask for a complete change of clothes. This year I did not need to use them, thankfully, but the teacher next door had SIX bathroom accidents and got a lot of use out of hers!! I just like the security of knowing they are there, and I have had a kid or two change their shirts after playing at the water table a bit too roughly! I popped the shirts on top of our heater by the windows and was able to change them back just before they went home so I could keep the shirt.

I also ask for a composition book to keep in the backpacks just for parent-teacher communication, which are GREAT. And I supply a folder for the kids because I have great ones my dad gets from work that aren't open and close-just one pocket, which makes it super easy for my assistant to swap out papers.

15. onelilmonkey

onelilmonkey Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

WOW!

All we ask for when a child enters our class is a pencil box with crayons, markers, pencils and scissors! We only ask for baby wipes for the kids who aren't potty trained but I like the idea of using it for all the other uses. We have washclothes that we use for hands and faces and clean ups. Other than that we provide everything else. Maybe we should adopt some ideas from you guys!

16. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 9, 2007

I thought my own supply list was excessive at the beginning of last year, but then I found out that my program would supply absolutely nothing. The craft-y materials that were provided to me were: 12 packs of 9x12 construction paper (1 for every color), 1 bottle of 12 colors of paint, 4 bottles of fingerpaint, 2 packs of fingerpaint paper, 1 pack of newsprint, pompoms, 5 1 ounce bottles of glitter, pipe cleaners, a bin of random felt shapes, paintbrushes, and that's it. If there was a supply I wanted and I didn't ask parents for it, it would be coming out of my own pocket. I already spent over 1000 dollars on the little things like googly eyes, big construction paper, tissue paper, etc., so not asking for staple materials like glue would have killed me!

17. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

I was at Wal-mart yesterday and saw that markers, glue sticks and crayons were already marked at the back-to-school prices. I picked up a few things. They don't have any signs up yet. I'm using back to school stuff to make birthday and "end of year" gift packs for the class I'll have next school year. They also have a bunch of stuff on clearance to get ready for back to school sales!