What's on top of your student desks?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach_each1, Jul 15, 2008.

1. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Do you have caddies?
    What do you put in them?
    Who supplies what?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

Except for a morning procedure card and their name tag, NOTHING!! I hate junk on their desks!! Once the year starts, they are to keep their independent reading book and planner on their desks. Those take up enough room. Inevitably, there will be waterbottles, and then some students will bring in pencil holders and the like. I have students keep their books, notebooks, 2 sharpened pencils, and pen in their desk. All other supplies (extra pencils, markers, glue, scissors, crayons, etc) are kept in a plastic shoebox container under their desk during the day for easy access.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

Nametags. If you start piling things on it, it will fall off. I tell my class to put their water bottles under their desk because someone always knocks them off.

5. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 15, 2008

I just put nametags on the desks. Each pair of desks share a caddie, but I keep the caddies on a different shelf. When they need them, they can go get them. I keep community crayons, markers, scissors, colored pencils and glue sticks in them. My kids bring in all of the supplies.

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

They have their name plates on their tables and until they need something there is nothing else there. I have a tupperware tub under each table with supplies that they might need and also an area in the classroom with community materials.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I take plastic cups and drill a hole at the rim & o-ring them to the kids desks. Most of the time they only have their name tag on their desk.

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Nametags and one table basket which is placed in the center of the group of desks. In the basket are grading pens, dry erase markers with sponge erasers, and highlighters. This year I bought a class set of those dish pans to hold things that don't fit in the desk(practice books, spiral, etc.). These will be kept underneath their desks. They also keep closed water bottles on their desks.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I have my kids keep their water bottles in a basket by the sink. They can use the signal for getting a drink to use it. Because otherwise they are sucking on it all day long and have to pee constantly! lol Unless a parent sends a note that there is a medical reason why they need it at their desk..

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I have some things I'm iffy about.

These are the supplies my kids will have
    poetry binder - kept in a bin all together
    math journal - kept in desk
    math workbook - kept in desk
    writing journal - kept in desk
    writing folder - maybe the desk but maybe not. I'm worried that papers will get ruined and lost in the desk. So I might have a place for six bins - one for each table, and all the writing folders will be kept there.
    reading response journal - kept in book basket
    bee book folder- not really sure yet where I want them to be yet! After I walk around the room and check them, should they put them in their desks, should they put them in their mailboxes, should they put them in a bin, and I can dismiss them to pack up by passing them out?

So they'll only have a math workbook and two spirals in their desk. I dunno.

Then I was planning on having a caddy with supplies. I've decided that the less things are in there, the more organized the kids will be. So the most important things are pencils, erasers, and crayons. We'll use those the most. Last year I had glue sticks, scissors, and markers in there too. Markers were a bad idea. And I felt we were going through glue sticks constantly!

Then, where should I put the caddy? I was going to do on the students desks. But then, what if I just have them keep a pencil and a crayon box in their desk, and put the glue sticks, scissors, markers, etc. in the caddies, and have them take them to their desks as needed? But then my purpose for the caddy was to have them keep supplies out of their desks. This was going to be one of my expectations!!! Hmmmmmmmm.

11. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

My students sit at rectangular tables, four to a table. Each table has a small caddy (ReallyGoodStuff.com). In their caddy they have crayons, pencils, glue sticks, and scissors. They keep markers in their supply boxes in their cubbies. I had someone make chair pockets for them to keep the journals and folders I needed them to have.

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

I bought the "file holders" at Target. Last year I had my kids keep all practice books (reading, math, english, social studies, science) as well as their fluency folder, library books, other books they're reading and their notebooks in their file holders. I absolutely loved them. It was the first time that we hadn't lost a library book and notebooks/practice books didn't lose their covers as much. That was why I went and looked and looked for the file holders.
    The kids were expected to keep the file holder under the edge of their desk except for at the end of the day when they placed them on top of their desk.
    The only things they kept in their desks were their textbooks and their pencil pouch.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

SUCH a great idea! I love it. I am definitely going to do this this year-- I had so many kids ruin papers because they were drinking from their bottles when they weren't supposed to be... THANK YOU for sharing. Now they can finger speak the signal for "drink" and NOT ruin their work. WOOHOO!:D

14. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

i keep my kids water cups away from the desks also...as far as the top of their desk is concerned only a reading book...i put the name tags on the front of the desk, if they can't spell their name by second grade there is a problem...subs and rotating specials always seem to appreciate that

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I forgot about water bottles. My kids keep theirs at their desk. I am just glad they are drinking water- I keep the bathroom breaks to a minimum.

16. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

My kids just have a 2 pocket folder on their desk. I make a large label for the folder which includes a # chart, # line, the alphabet with both upper and lowercase letters, a spot for their most recent wcpm sticker to be placed as well as a place for their math fact sheet letter sticker, and a place for me to write their name(first and last) as a reference.

All other materials are kept in their desks or other locations in our room such as water color sets which I keep in a few drawers as we use them only occasionally. I try to train the kids to keep notebooks, workbooks, etc on one side of their desks and their supplies on the other. The folder houses their long term papers(# club, etc) as well as their book baggies and work to be completed.

17. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 15, 2008

Morning procedure card?

DaleJr,
    what do you include on your morning procedure card?

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Oh, I forgot to add that I used to do caddies filled w/ supplies until I moved to my current school. My desks are all different heights/types and can not be changed. So when I did caddies, they would fall & break/make a mess. Blech! I miss them though!

19. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

My caddies are simple. They have three sections. I have pencils on one side, large pink erasers on the other, and an index card with the names of the people at the table in the middle.

Next year I need to find something that will also hold their personal dictionaries... hmmm?

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

:p N....O....T....H....I....N....G
    That's all I want to see

(sung to the tune of Aretha's RESPECT)

(Need the next couple of lines. I downloaded all the cheers JEM had and am branching out to singing what I want the kids to do. Also have got Power Teaching on my mind.)

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2008

shouldbeasleep,

If I really wanted my kids to focus in I would do the "Classssssssssssss" and they would have to respond with "Yessssssssssssss" it worked wonderful last year because I had them trained when I did that that meant I BETTER not hear anything from them except for what I wanted as an answer. No chitchat and no playing around. They would also clear their desks quickly if they did have anything out.

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

I am definitely doing the "class"' "yes" thing. A few other of the ideas also.

(hijacking thread here for a sec.)

I forgot that I do allow waterbottles on the desks. And yes, there's always one or two that suck on them like baby bottles. I just go by and take them. If I had room, I'd keep them in a central location.

Why are we watering kids, anyway? I survived childhood without it. Sigh. I sound like a sour old granny.

23. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

My students will have a nametag (with a popcorn design) and then in the middle of the group of 4 desks will be a plastic popcorn tub (from Target for $1) that will have group supplies in it. There will be glue, crayons, markers, large eraser and whatever other supplise I want them to have inside of it. They will also have their Work-in-Progress folder on top of their desk, too.

24. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 19, 2008

My students are allowed to have ( and I quote) "lead, red, ruler, rubber (eraser), sharpener".

This year, with this class, I have a box in the middle of each group for the books they use every day. Has saved a lot of time handing out and collecting up. Couldnt do this withe every class.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2008

Usually the put their pledge card on their desks so they can refer to them when it's time to recite. Otherwise nothing is attached. Most keep their assignment notebooks in one of the upper corners.

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2008

Studies have shown that even a little bit of dehydration prohibits learning. Well hydrated brains learn better! And we have no AC.