what's more important, grade level or admin?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Mar 15, 2014.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 15, 2014

It is coming up on that time to fill out intent forms. As always, I take it very seriously. My school is huge and spread out across 3 buildings. Because of this, we have an assistant principal for each building. Each building might as well be its own school.

Right now, I work in the middle school building. I love 7th grade, but my AP leaves a lot to be desired. She is not THE WORST by any means, but I really miss my Principal. (Before she was Principal, she was AP of my building. We had a good working relationship.) I really like the culture facilitated by my Principal and the other APs.

If a position opened up in another building, should I ask for it? There might be potential to move to 3rd or 4th grade SPED. I taught 3rd gen ed before...it would be a giant switch back after going to 6th and 7th, but I could do it. The negativity of my AP is so draining. :(

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

I would go with the best AP if I thought I'd still at least like the grade.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2014

There is no guarantee the AP will stay or that the other one will either. I think I would stick with the grade level I prefer since you said she isn't horrible.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2014

Grade level. I taught MS for five years and never want to go back down to anything below 10th grade.

I'm not someone that cares a lot about who my Admin is since I try to interact with them as little as possible. I've worked with apathetic, chaotic, overwhelmed and vindictive Admin and to me, its all the same. For me, Admin are interchangeable because I never see any change year-to-year in school environment/climate/culture despite changes in Admin. It just is what it is.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2014

Admin is more important for me. I switched grade levels at the request of my P when she needed someone to take over a problem team. She totally has my back, even when the problems with the grade are smacking me in the face.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 15, 2014

Maybe you just haven't had a good admin yet. Our admin is fantastic and the climate in our school has reportedly changed drastically, and our test scores have even started to soar.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

My P is so awesome. If he left, I'd consider trying to follow. Words cannot describe how wonderful it is to know your P has your back.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

My district moves administrators around from site-to-site every 3-5 years. We have 16 schools within my district.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 16, 2014

I think it depends. I like high school, and the older they are, the better it is. So my least favorite is 9th grade, but if it meant having a good admin vs. a bad one, I would put up with 9th grade. However, if it was upper class high school with bad admin, or 6th grade with a good one, I would stick with the bad admin, because 6th grade would drive me more nuts than a bad principal.

So you really have to look at every detail.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2014

This is how I feel this year.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 16, 2014

I would pick a good administrator every time.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 16, 2014

You can teach any grade level with a supportive administrator.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 16, 2014

If it's a truly miserable administrator, I'd leave, but if it's just a matter of you butting heads, I'd stick with a preferred grade level.

15. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Mar 16, 2014

Agreed.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 16, 2014

For me it is the grade level. I deal with the students for 6+ hours a day, but admin. far less.

17. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 16, 2014

grade level

18. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 16, 2014

Hmmm, administrator hands down. If they aren't supportive and are horrible to me I couldn't deal with that. Grade level doesn't matter (I do have preferences) but each year you can request to switch and with a good admin they can help you out with that.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 16, 2014

If it was a grade level I still felt okay with, I'd pick the great admin. If the grade level was one I truly didn't like I think I'd look for a new job all together before going to a level I didn't want just for admin. For example, I'm teaching 6th for the first time this year. Luckily, it's only 45 minutes of my day, but it's by far my least favorite part of the day. Not to mention their teachers have a very "middle school mindset" and are extremely hard to work with. I have a great admin and I like the rest of my job so it doesn't bother me too much. However, I would never consider taking a job that was all middle school students all day, no matter how great the admin was.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2014

While my district is much larger (over 80,000 kids) so there are many more schools; Admin also seem to come and go every 3 to 5 years here.

They are promoted (to the BofEd), demoted, leave the district, come back to the district or just moved to another school. Just a constant cycle.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2014

This. I try to ignore Admin and only interact with them when they demand to see me.

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2014

I disagree. I couldn't teach Elementary even if I had Mother Theresa as my Admin.

Middle school almost did me in, anything lower and it would not be pretty.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 16, 2014

I love how matter-of-fact you are, Go Blue! Your post was hilarious! :lol:

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 16, 2014

For me it would be admin...with some stipulations.

I could technically teach a core middle school class with my credential. I know I would HATE teaching at the middle school level. I student taught in 6th and could do that again if I had to, but only if it was at the elementary level (that happens sometimes here.)

I'm not even certified to teach high school, so I consider that a moot point.

So for me, if I could teach K-5, I would choose the admin. Frankly, I don't know what my favorite grade level actually is.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 16, 2014

Thank you all for your thoughts!

Interestingly, I had a conversation with my P today about our building. She's apparently heard some things from other teachers. I told her our AP is new and that I believe she's just overwhelmed. :)rolleyes:) I said I was very happy with the direction the school is going overall and that I will be happy wherever she puts me.

I'll leave it to her, I guess! My team and my grade level is awesome, so I think I will request to stay. 99% of my interactions involve them, anyway. Also, it will be so nice to not move classrooms AGAIN. :eek:

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2014

Having had good and bad admin and having taught elementary, middle and high school, I would go with good, supportive admin.

27. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 17, 2014

Especially as a high school teacher in a school/area with a lot of disclipine problems (violence, drugs, etc), I'd pick a strong, supportive admin every single time.

28. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 17, 2014

For me, admin would win. My district most definitely has its challenges but I am very happy with my principal and that means a ton to me. I happen to also like the grade I teach, but if it came down to switching grades within my building or teaching 5th in a different one, I'd probably switch within my building. Well, maybe not to first grade, but that would be about it. I don't think I could do 1st after 3 years in 5th and 3 years at high school.

29. classmods

classmods New Member

Mar 17, 2014

I agree! AP may not be around forever

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2014

I would have to choose a good administrator over the team. Next year a big part of teacher's salaries will be based on a subjective evaluation by the admin. I have seen what a poor administrator can do to someone's evaluation if the admin doesn't like the teacher.

31. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 17, 2014

On second thought....we may reconsider that decision. I'm supposed to have an observation tomorrow and I have absolutely no schedule because aforementioned AP dropped the ball on organizing the building for an event we've known about for weeks.

She informed me of this today at the end of my prep by saying: "I guess your team is going to have to figure this out. Have you never had to do an alternate schedule before?"

?!?!? We can't talk about it! Prep is over! Please figure this out at some point in the next 4 hours? Please?

It's 9:30pm. I have no idea what we're doing tomorrow. :down:

It's little things like this....they build up all the time. Never would have happened last year!

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

Worked for a vice-principal like that a few years ago, FourSquare; it's so frustrating. He was a nice guy, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always as organized as I should be, but in that position, he needed to do a better job of staying on top of things.

In addition to what's been said already, I believe that a good administrator will do all that they can to keep teachers in a grade level where they are happy and most effective.

33. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 20, 2014

I say Admin is important...they make the culture of the building and that is VERY important.....I have seen bullying in buildings from the Admin on down because Admin does it.

34. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 29, 2014

Update: I was approached by one of our likeable AP's about movement. Apparently they are really shaking things up next year and a LOT of people are moving....they are trying to break up some problematic teams.

She mentioned 3rd grade SPED. My room would be connected by an inside door to my dear friend and colleague in 2nd SPED. She'd like us to do a lot of collaborating, especially around departmentalization. I could teach only Reading/Writing/Social Studies and she could teach Math/Science.

This is incredibly desirable since I'd only focus on Literacy, which is my passion. Also potentially on the table...Gen Ed 4th Reading or 5th Reading. They apparently discovered I have a Reading endorsement. :lol: