What's it like being pregnant at school???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by La Profesora, Jul 25, 2007.

1. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Hello All!

I am currently 2 months along, getting ready to have the baby in March. Its my first. what will it be like to be pregnant and teaching? anyone have any crazy stories about their pregnancies? Anything I should watch out for? I teach High School Anatomy and Physiology, so I'm sure the kids will be fascinated. I show "the miracle of life" every year, and now I'm living it!

thanks guys (gals) :thanks: :woot: :help: :lol: :2up:

3. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 25, 2007

You're going to have a lot of people trying to touch your belly, that's for sure. I wasn't pregnant while teaching, but sometimes strangers think that because you are hosting the miracle of life they should be able to share in it somehow. Maybe that sounds kind of strange, but people are strangely affected around pregnant women. I would imagine that teenage girls will be really fascinated and will probably be trying to do this.

Congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy...it's an amazing experience! :)

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Make arrangements with the office staff or another teacher close by who can watch the kiddos when you need to use the restroom. It will happen often and we all know with teaching, you can't just go when you want (or need) to go. Adellesmama is right...everyone will want to touch your belly. Some will ask, others won't. If you don't feel comfortable with it though, let them know. Some people just don't think about things like that. I was pregnant 2 years in a row during the school year. Be prepared to recite your due date about 84 times throughout the year and how you are feeling every moment of the day. Take advantage of others helping you with bb and other things you should'nt worry about when pregnant...it won't last after the baby is born.

Congratulations on your new little baby...you'll be great! Pregnancy is wonderful...enjoy it!

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

It has been a few years but I remember munching on pretzels those early months during morning recess. I was teaching science and was so afraid my labor would be an unexpected science lesson. I figured the baby was doing a whole lot of learning! My advice: lots of pretzels and potty breaks! Congrats!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

The days seemed longer than normal.

My team (and school) treated me like I wasn't pregnant. So, when we had to pack up everything and move to another part of the bldg, no one lent a hand. It was really strange. They didn't ever acknowledge my son's birth-even to this day. Luckily, I wasn't on their team any longer. I still have baggage from the way they did and didn't treat me....I know they were unusually self-absorbed, but it was still strange.:crosseyed

7. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I had to eat in the middle of the day, my third graders were ok with it.

Learn how to pee fast. I could leave class and pee and be back in less than a minute.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

I was tired off and on. Being in preschool, it was harder getting up and down out of short chairs... lol.

My little girl was born in March... the 14th (2006). It worked out just right, too... took my maternity leave (actually had enough sick days built up). Springbreak fell in the middle of it so that was a free week! Went back to school for 2 weeks then school was out!!! Had all summer with my little Miss. :)

GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR!! Hope all goes well!!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

Congrats!!!

Eat a good breakfast. I would eat a bowl of oatmeal, because it tended to "stick" a little longer than the other stuff. Plus, it's good for ya when your pg!!!

Make sure you have lots of ice in your water at the beginning of the day & remember to drink it. I also ate snacks in the day. But it worked out ok because we had snack time in the morning so I would it with the students & then they had specials in the afternoon that I was able to get a snack in. I would come home and nap as well.

The belly rubbing went on as well. I had 1st graders so they were always "hugging" the baby. Thank goodness I was close to a lot of the teachers...one would rub my belly for luck like it was a genie lamp, but it was just our little joke.

Wear layers. I can tell you my hands I thought were on FIRE. There were times I was chilly & times I was just HOT!!!

Make sure you sit & rest as well. Don't be on your feet all day!!!

Make sure you make a good friend as a teacher. I luckily had some specials at the end of the day, some of those teachers would walk my class out & what not when I had to leave a little early to get to doc appointments. I would only leave about 15 mins early, but they were super nice of walking them out to the busses. I would talk to principal to make sure it was ok.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 25, 2007

All I can say is congratulations.

maybe I'd advise even more handwashing or keep anti bacterial close by.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

You're right about that. After my lil one was born I'd come home & change my clothes & wash my hands really well!!

12. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 25, 2007

CONGRATULATIONS!!:D
    Both of my kids were born during March also. It was great because it worked out that I didn't have to go back until 2 weeks before school was out. That is a blessing if your planning on breast feeding. I taught kindergarten when I was pregnant with both my kids and the doctor told me to stay off my feet as much as possible!! :lol: Ha, ha!!! My advice would be to find a good rolling chair!
    I also had a great team who would cover for me when I had to leave early for doctors appts and even started walking my kids to specials during the last month.
    The hardest thing for me was the constant bathroom breaks. I would make an arrangement with someone close so that when you stick your head in and wave, they know where you're going. I remember standing at my door trying to catch someone to watch my class so that I could run to the potty.:help:

13. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

I guess I just don't want to give these girls any ideas. don't want them thinking that because I'm cute and prego, they should be cute and prego!!! I'm 30, they are 15, and I really do worry!

14. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Congrats on your pregnancy! I just had my daughter on June 20, so spent the majority of my first year teaching pregnant! I thought I would share some funny stories from being pregnant.

First of all, I taught second grade last year, and when I told my class I was having a baby they were excited and thought it was cute. When I told the students I tutored (who were in third grade) one of them said "EEWW Mrs. Foskey, I know what you did to get that baby! What a different reaction for just one year apart!

My class was very excited and they had a countdown on the board until my due date (it was too bad school wasn't still in for them to know when the day came). Before I knew I was having a girl, my students were trying to figure out what it is. At the same time, I was having gas problems and couldn't stop burping, so I blamed it on the baby. So one girl in my class said "You must be having a boy, because he is rude and burps a lot."

Like someone else said though, try and sit down when you can. Someone else mentioned having to use the restroom a lot. This is very true. At the beginning of my pregnancy, I used to have to run to the restroom to throw up, at the end it was to use the restroom. I was lucky enough to have a connecting door with a teacher who understood. I just had to open the door and she knew what was going on!

As far as being worried about your girls wanting to be pregnant, if you see it being an issue maybe have a talk about all the responsibility when you show the miracle of life.

15. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Hi!

I am 7 and 1/2 weeks pregnant and also anxious about school when expecting!

Luckily, I have a full day assistant which will help me with my needed restroom breaks!

I teach the wee folk ~ grade one ~ and am not sure if they'll even notice that I am pregnant!

I am worried mainly about finding maternity clothes that are work appropriate. I wear a size 16 and found that many maternity clothes stop at a 14. Someone recommended that I try Target for them, but it's way too early for that!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your baby!

Isn't it so exciting? How long is your maternity leave?

The ironic thing is, our principal is also expecting a baby in Jan. When is your due date I am due March 11. :love: :love:

Best wishes!

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 26, 2007

Congratulations La Profesora and Starista! I'm 10 wks pregnant so I'm due shortly before both of you!

It is so hard to find maternity clothes. There is not much out there for any size! Sometimes I could find non-maternity clothes in larger sizes that worked well. Check JCPenney and Kohl's. OldNavy.com has maternity but their selection isn't always good. The plus is that they have free returns on maternity stuff.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

MY daughter was born at 8:30 on a Thursday. I worked through Wednesday, took Brian to the doctor for an ear infection, went home and made dinner, hit CVS on the way to the chiropractor (I had pulled my back out a few weeks before) came home and went into labor!

Being pregnant at school wasn't a problem for me at all. I kept water in my podium and took a drink whenever I thought of it. Luckily, my classroom that year was close to a faculty bathroom, so I ran out when I had to between classes. All my morning sickness was over before school started. I did miss a day for my amnio, but all my other absences that year were for Brian's ear infections. And I was 42 years old at that time.

Take it easy on yourself where possible, get lots of rest, eat healthy and enjoy your pregnancy.

18. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Congratulations to all of you!
    For larger-size maternity clothes, I found the JC Penney catalog to be a great resource. It is a separate catalog that you can have sent to your house. One of the things I liked is that they had a set of black knit "mix and match" pieces that looked great and were super comfy for wearing to school. I also had some luck at Motherhood maternity and Sears. Their larger stores have a decent selection of larger maternity clothes. I was last pregnant three years ago, and that was when Old Navy was really rolling out their maternity line, so I don't know about the selection there. I generally don't like shopping at Old Navy, anyway (too messy at the stores around me!)

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

I also loved Motherhood Maternity... most of the malls near here have one and I bet they have a website. They had reasonable prices, a great selection (and a ladies room :) )

20. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I got all of my maternity clothes at Motherhood Maternity! I'm also a size 16 sometimes 18 (haha, that's about to change as I started Weight watchers). But they have a great selection of plus size maternity clothes. I would check it out! They normally have good sales also. I have also noticed they have stores in a few outlet malls. I know if you are in Orlando there is one at the outlets near Disney, and they also have a store at the Outlets in Ellenton, just south of Tampa. So, if you have an outlet mall near you check to see if there is a Motherhood Maternity!

21. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I was pregnant from Sept. to May of last school year (my son just turned 8 weeks old yesterday!) and I teach 7th grade. Everyone has given great advice.

One thing I'd add is that you want to go ahead and make emergency sub plans now. You never know when you might need an unscheduled doctor's visit or when exactly your labor will start. Having a binder or folder of activities/classroom info handy will make you feel a whole lot better!

One other thing...be prepared for some wild mood swings! My poor students had to deal with my fluctuating hormones all year. Most days it wasn't noticable, but occasionally - watch out!!

CONGRATS!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

...just a caveat...parents are a little concerned about their kids having pregnant teachers. First there's that whole long term leave thing and the parents worry about who is going to cover, the continuity, the unknown factor!! Also they want to know that while you are there you are focusing on their kids and not distracted by your pregnancy (or when you return the baby you left at home...) You may have wild mood swings but think, is that fair to 'your poor students'? (ummm, NO) It's not easy, moms!! You are defintiely doing what you have to do for your families (don't you LOVE when people actually say they don't think it's right that teachers get preggers and leave in the school year- like hello!! I teach KIDS, don't you think I'd want one of my own??) Anyway, take care of yourselves, stay healthy, but do remember while in school you also need to focus on the kids in the desks not just the one in your tum. :wub:

23. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I worry about who is going to take care of them when I leave too! I teach advanced Anatomy and Physiology, and the subs are notoriously lazy. Who is going to be able to teach advanced science? How can I leave two months worth of activities that NO ONE will understand?

I love these teachers that can PLAN their pregnancies for the last week of May, lol. I'm lucky this EVER happened, much less when. What about in the business world? when are those women supposed to have babies?

24. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I am starting the school year almost 6 months pregnant! When I had my DD, I was only about 2 months along when we went back to school. My students' parents will just have to deal with it. I know that sounds awful, but I am a married adult. I have other factors that I had to look at when planning to get pregnant, not just when in the school year the baby would come. I will work as hard as I ever have with my students until the baby comes, and I think that is all that matter. We are fortunate to have WONDERFUL long-term subs, many of whom are retired teachers. I am considering requesting a leave of absence after the baby comes in December, mainly because I really worry about coming back right as we move into testing season. I honestly think that if I take a leave of absence for the remainder of the year and they are able to hire someone for my position, it might be better for my students.

I taught 7th grade when I was pregnant with my DD, and the kids could have cared less until the very end. They thought it was really cool when they could actually see her moving around while I was teaching. I was at work when I went into labor (thankfully my water broke AFTER the kids were gone for the day). I didn't return because DD was born at the end of February and we were done with school in mid-May. Unfortunately, I had a nightmare experience with my sub, but my kids survived!

Congratulations to you!!! My biggest piece of advice is to NOT be afraid to sit down and rest! I worried so much about sitting, and ended up in the hospital at one point because I was overdoing it. After that, my principal would come to be sure I was doing all of my teaching SITTING :)

25. brandit929

brandit929 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

What's it like being pregnant at school

I am really excited to start back to school, I will be almost 7 months pregnant. When I left school I was only 4 months and not showing, now I am showing. I teach K-3 Resource Room and the students asked so many questions before school got out, I can't wait to hear what they have to say now. I am nervous about going on maternity leave, I know I will have a good sub, but I am worried about all the planning. Anyway, those are just a few of my concerns.

Congrats on the pregnancy, may everyone who is pregnant have a safe and healthy pregnancy.

I buy all my maternity clothes at Motherhood Maternity. They have the cutest clothes in plus size, it's great!

Good Luck everyone with the new school year!!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

27. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I just found this topic, and I am enjoying reading everyone's stories! I guess I am not alone in starting the school year pregnant. Unfortunately, I will be VERY pregnant, like 36 weeks when we start!! I'm a little worried about not knowing when I will be leaving. I have been super busy these past couple of weeks getting things in order. I plan to have my first 3 months planned out, and laid out for the LTS. I think this will be the most organized I have ever been at the start of a school year. I should go in with this mind set every year:lol:

28. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I have been thinking that I will put everything in a three ringed binder, by day, with post its so the sub knows how to make copies and what to put on the overhead and such. I can also leave her the Powerpoint presentations (not that she can really explain them) and notes. I don't know how I will plan 8 weeks out when I have trouble planning 2 days in advance now because I move at such an odd pace.

I also teach a TAKS state test remedial class, and their test will be in April. I am thinking that they may yank this class from me, as I won't be there at state testing time, and they need a really good and motivated and talented teacher teaching them at that time. I may just tell them all to pass in October so I can take it easy (lol, like that works!!!) What do ya'll think if they yank my classes away and give me freshmen or some crappy class? I s that legal?

29. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Just be sure to plan a few weeks ahead of when you are due. My daughter came 2 1/2 weeks early, and it REALLY caught me by surprise. Thankfully, I was smart enough to plan a month at a time, so I had rough plans for the sub to use until I made it up to the school to give him more detailed plans (I was there 4 days after my daughter was born). Everyone says that first babies are usually late...ha!

I second that wish that I was always so organized! I hope to have most things planned out for the year before school starts on Sept. 4th. I want to be able to focus on my students while I am at school and my family when I am at home.

30. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I don't know if this will work for but I picked my sub for when I was out for a month when son had surgery and was able to meet with her a few times and go over all the little details. I picked a frequent sub that I knew would fit with the class and who would keep them line (nothing worse than worrying that let are going to go wild). I left detailed plans for the first two weeks and then just a general outline to follow of lessons.

31. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

Just got a new loop in my prego story.......

I am a type 1 diabetic, and my doctor recommended me to a fetal maternal medicine specialist in San Antonio, 3 hours from where I live. I will need to see her ONCE A WEEK til I give birth! I only get 10 days, and this is potential of driving six hours every thurs, missing a day each week.

The doctor told me - "Some women do whatever is necessary to have a healthy baby." I'm all for that! But, I can't go into massive debt, miss so many days my performance goes down, have my paycheck docked, or even be forced to quit. I'm so scared!

What do I do???

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

You make an appointment to speak to your principal ASAP. You lay all your cards on the table-- this is what the doctor said, these are the days when I can see the doctor and so on. Then you present her with a plan-- you'll have lesson plans completely done, share time & space with the LTS they're going to have to hire anyway and so on.

You handle this professionally-- make it easy for her to be professional. This is a health issue.

33. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I know that sometimes other teachers are allowed (officially or unofficially) to donate some of their sick days to another teacher. Many veteran teachers have TONS of unused sick days and if your principal is ok with it (most are), you can ask for donations. That's what I did so I could take off my last week of school to prepare for my c-section (and move into my new house!).