What's in YOUR Welcome Letter?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Jul 21, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

What are some key things you put in your welcome letter? Is your letter to parents, kids, both? When do you send it? Feel free to share examples!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

I'll pm you.

4. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Ok, I'll check.

5. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

czacza- sent you a thank you pm. Loved it! Thanks!!!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

Glad to be of help!!:love:

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

Need anything else? Mine can't send b/c of the program I use (not many people can open it), but I can share info if you are still looking.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I thought I had it, but I accidentally overwrote the file at my classroom website the other day. I'll be rewriting it soon, so I'll link to it here.

I do say where I went to college, when I graduated, my teaching philosophy in a few words, and what I hope for the students to accomplish over the course of the school year.

9. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Here's the one I did last year. August 2008

Dear Parents,

Hello, and welcome to the 2008-2009 school year. I am Kristin Ford and I am very excited to be teaching at Benton again this year! I hope everyone had a great summer. I sure did. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you a little bit about my teaching background and myself. This will be my thirteenth year teaching in the Wichita district. I have taught kindergarten, first, and second grades. I really enjoy second graders! I have to say that it is my favorite grade to teach! I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education from Newman University. I actually started my teaching career here at Benton when I was a student teacher! It is great to be back! I have been married for seven years and have two daughters.

Your child’s success is my first priority. To ensure this success, it is important that we maintain open communication. You may contact me at school at 973-3320 and leave a message. I will return your call as soon as possible. You are your child’s most important teacher and we need to work together. I hope we will be partners with a mutual desire for your child’s success. Please encourage your child to share his or her school experiences with you on a daily basis.

During the first few weeks of school, the students will become familiar with their classrooms, classmates, teachers, and classroom routines and procedures.
    Second grade is full of challenges and exciting new discoveries. I am so happy to be apart of their adventure!

Sincerely,

10. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Thanks everyone, it's simply nice to see what other people put in their letters. My welcome letter needs tweaking and I like seeing different ideas. I include some welcoming thoughts, goals for the year, proceedures, ways to contact...

11. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I actually introduce some of things I do in my room and how they are done along with a page of clues about me. The students then try to solve them and we go over those answers on the first day.

12. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I send off a welcome postcard about a month before school. It's very basic (I teach first). I tell them how excited I am to meet them. How much they will love first grade. My name :). And the date and time of our Meet the Teacher Night that I really hope to see them at. At MTTN I place an actual letter to them on their desk. Parents of course read it to them, but it's all for the kiddos.

13. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I like this idea! When do you send the postcard? I was thinking about making some at Vista! Is it too late, though? I would like to give them a letter on the Meet the Teacher night, because I am expecting and will be gone for a short period of time. I thought this would be better at the beginning of the year.

14. kinderdl

kinderdl Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I send a similar letter introducing myself and so forth. Also I absolutely love the ABC's of _________. (whatever grade u teach) It's ideal because you can cover so much on one sheet of paper and it is dedicated to your class. If you have not seen it let me know and I can email you mine. It's on word so you can change it to fit your needs.

15. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 22, 2009

welcome letter

could someone pm me their welcome letter? i'm interested to see what others have in theirs.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

here is my last year letter

Dear Second Grade Friends,
    How has your summer been? It does not seem like there are really only 2 weeks left of lazy lounging days in the pool and at the beach. However, I am looking forward to seeing all of you and to starting out a fun new school year.
    I know that I put a letter in your first grade report card, but I wanted to remind you of the supplies that you will need for school and to add one new item. ~~I have joined a Postcard exchange across the United States that will greatly enhance our Social Studies Curriculum, so I am asking for all students to help out by bringing in Postcards.~~
    • 4 blank NEW JERSEY postcards with stamps on them for mailing
    • 1 marble BOUND, not spiral, notebook
    • 1 folder
    • 2 boxes of unscented baby wipes
    • 5-6 pencils with pencil top erasers
    • 5-6 large glue sticks
    • 1 bag of individually wrapped candy

I also recommend that you set up a HOMEWORK area at home with pencils, erasers, glue sticks, a ruler, scissors, chapter books and a notebook. In this area, you will also need to have a phone number of ONE other classmate so that you can call a friend if you have trouble with or forget your homework. Additionally, there is a class wish list on our school website with other items that would help out in our classroom.
    Thank you for all of your help, and I am excited to see you! Enjoy these last few days, I will be in school next Monday – Wednesday to do some work and to finish up our classroom. Have you peeked in the window?
    See you on September 3rd!
    Love me!