What's in your newsletter?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by skittleroo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2011

I'm trying to jazz up my newsletter a bit. I have the usual:
    spelling/word wall words
    fry's phrases
    important events or dates
    I try to include something we are learning in class or something that will help their child be more successful.

What do you think you put in your newsletter that REALLY gets parents to read it????

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

I do a brief summary of the week/notes from me. I also do a short section on each subject about what's coming up next week...I keep it really short like 1-3 sentences. Important dates

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2011

oh, I also want to make a section each week or 2 that describes a daily routine activity that parents may not completely understand. I want to give them more insight. For example, parent often don't understand what centers entail, or writer's workshop,etc. I could space and talk about a routine and describe in more detail.

5. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 1, 2011

This year, I am going to have my students write the monthly newsletter.
    I will draft a template and give the students topics they must cover, as well as a few optional areas they may want to include.
    I'm hoping this will encourage more moms and dads to read the happenings of our class!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

I tried this 2 years ago and the kids LOVED it, but it was so much work on my part. I started writing it myself again. I want to try it again this year, what topics will you be telling them they must cover?

7. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 1, 2011

For the SUPER important things, I'll put that information in the template - things like important dates, critical info.
    I'll give the kids some freedom but I want them to summarize what we are doing in each subject, discuss projects and special events in our class, school news - such as if we have a new business partner, Battle of the Books info, basically anything that pertains to the school and class. I hope they will learn to use their voice in their writing and that it will transfer over to their state test writing. One can hope, right?