What's in Your Lunchbox?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Sep 4, 2011.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2011

I often bring leftovers, but am looking for some ideas. What do you usually pack for lunch?

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 4, 2011

I usually do an Amy's burrito or pocket and a yogurt. I've been on a greek yogurt kick lately. It doesn't take long to heat up and isn't too filling.

edit: The burrito doesn't take long, not the yogurt.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2011

For the first time ever I am eating lunch at school. My new school has a wonderful salad bar and for 1.50 (faculty lunch price) we can get a roast/beef/turkey po-boy, a salad, fruit, and a cookie or a hot lunch. They do not participate in the federal food lunch program so it is homemade food and actually healthy. Teachers get to choose from the salad dressings on the salad bar or a special vinaigrette that the cafeteria makes for us. Teachers can also get sweet or unsweetened ice tea with their lunch.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 4, 2011

I bring a SmartOnes meal twice a week. The other three days I bring a salad or a sandwich. I always pack two or three servings of fruits and a little snack to go with it, too. :)

The best part about my lunch is my panda lunch bag!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

My latest trend is a piece or two of Wasa toast, a triangle of Laughing Cow cheese, and a 100 calorie desert. For under 200 calories, it's a filling lunch.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 4, 2011

Leftovers. Sorry, no help here! I spent last week cooking and freezing meals into lunch sized portions. I am set for a month - every day I'll just pull out a container and let it defrost all morning. By lunch time it'll take a couple of minutes in the microwave and I'm set!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

-a big salad with a variety of veggies and some protein.
    -and "eat-on-the-run" lunch--raw veggies, hard boiled egg, cheese, crackers
    -quick scrambled eggs with veggies made in the microwave
    -wrap
    I always add a couple of pieces of fruit and a yogurt.

I usually try to avoid things that need to be heated up--the line-ups for the microwave can be long!

About once every two weeks or so I'll go out for lunch with a couple of friends for a slice of pizza or a sub sandwich.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 4, 2011

Wow. Ours costs $3 and it's usually heavy on the carbs.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

Some bike tubes, a multi-tool, a small pump, a tire pressure gauge, a tire lever, a patch kit, a chain tool and a spoke tool.

Really, I keep all that stuff in a small lunch box.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

Usually a large salad, with maybe some cottage cheese or string cheese, a piece of fruit, or a hunk of bread on the side.

Sometimes a turkey roll-up in a tortilla, tuna and crackers, carrot sticks and hummus, or other assorted quick and easy items.

12. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I have a tiffin, which is like a bento box but metal (sturdy, with locking clips).

In the bottom (larger) container I always pack a salad with a little container of vinaigrette. In the top I usually pack either crackers, pepperoni and cheese plus fruit or a half sandwich and fruit.

If I have leftovers like veggies or chicken I sometimes put that on top of the salad and then just fill the top with fruit.

The box is indestructible, I don't microwave anything, and it's a big lunch. I walk to school fairly often (2 miles one way), so by lunchtime I have to eat or I might take a bite out of a colleague.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

I usually bring a protein shake for lunch - it fills me up and keeps me going. Sometimes I'll bring a turkey sandwich, a salad, or some leftovers - if I'm willing to brave the microwave line.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

I'm really bad about eating processed foods, haha. My lunch is usually one of the following:
    - A lean cuisine meal
    - A campbell's "soup at hand"
    -A lean pocket
    - A "big kid lunchable" as I like to call them haha- otherwise known as those oscar meyer "deli creations" meals

I also try to bring a veggie or fruit or both. This year I want to get better about keeeping healthy snacks around (fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc.) so I have something I can grab if I'm really hungry and also to help me avoid whatever sweets/treats seem to always be laying around the staff lunchroom.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

I'm very traditional with my lunch.

About 75% of the time, I have a peanut butter sandwich, some kind of chip/pretzel, and fruit. The rest of the time I have cereal, pimento cheese/crackers, or something like leftover pizza. We have 20 minutes for lunch, so I need something FAST and ready to go. No time for heating or assembling a lunch.

This year I don't take kids to lunch, so I'm trying to branch out. I don't care for frozen meals, but I've had soup, salads, and sandwiches.

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2011

My lunch this year is at 10:20, so I'll be taking the starve approach.

Who the heck wants to eat lunch at 10:20? Then I work until 3. Ill be really hungry by then, but forcing myself to eat lunch 3 hours after breakfast will just make me feel sick.

I suppose I'll have to have something I can eat while driving home.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

Salad
    Or soup
    Or a Sandwich Thin with veg, hummus on

18. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 4, 2011

Leftovers
    Frozen entree
    Sandwich
    Salad (I'm branching out with different kinds. My faves right now are a shrimp salad I made with romaine; and another one with romaine: bright, crunchy and filling)
    Sometimes the school lunch, depends on what it is, and if I have money (or if son's account has enough)

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

I usually bring a Lean Cuisine and a 150 calorie snack of some kind. And a bottle of water. We have a fridge on our floor this year - so that will open up some possibilities. We have a teacher's cafeteria, too. It's only a few dollars, but I don't know how many calories are in the food, so I don't like to depend upon it.

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2011

Lately I've been making a huge pot of quinoa with veggies, grating a little cheese on top, and dishing it out into individual containers for lunch.

Otherwise:
    tuna
    soup
    pasta w/ lemon juice and pepper (I'll make too much pasta at dinner, so it's not really leftovers, but no extra work)
    veggie burger patty

21. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 4, 2011

I also almost always bring dinner leftovers. I also pack two snacks, and try to make one of them really healthy since I eat it with the kids. They will often bring the same thing that I brought within a few days.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

I've been having some weird stomach issues lately, so I've been hesitant to bring my "normal" lunches of leftovers, sandwiches, and salads. So far I've had pretzels or mandarin oranges packed in water. Since my lunch is at 10:45 and my teaching day (with students) is done at 1:15, I've found that it's been fine just doing a snack for lunch and then having a real lunch when I get home at 2.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 4, 2011

1. Leftovers
    2. PB&J with chips or pretzels and a fruit.
    3. I go out to eat every Friday with a group of co-workers. In fact, most teachers leave campus on Friday and go out to lunch with other teacher friends. It gives us something to look forward to each week!

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

All of the beautiful veggies in the market inspired me--I'm going to make a huge pan of roasted zucchini, eggplant, peppers and onions today. That will be lunches this week. I love this room temperature, so don't need to worry about the lines at the microwave!

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2011

That's really good on flatbread with hummus.

26. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 5, 2011

This week I am bringing chicken sandwiches on whole grain bread with an apple. I am also working really hard on having smaller snacks in the day. I am going to keep them on my desk. This week's snacks are 1 oz of pistachios. with 1.5 cups of berries. Then for the second snack it will be red and green bell pepper with peanut butter. I don't have any kids with nut allergies so I am safe there.

27. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 5, 2011

I would love that teaching schedule. What time to you start?

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

I have flatbread, and I think that there's some hummus in the fridge--sounds fabulous!

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

My first class starts at 6:50 AM. I teach straight through from 6:50 to 10:45, then I have lunch, then I teach from 11:20 to 1:15. My contract time ends at 1:41 or 1:51 (I honestly don't know, isn't that terrible? lol).

30. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 5, 2011

Nah, not at all. Ten minutes here or there isn't really a big deal. I am not really a morning person per se, but I always took early classes rather than later ones. My contract time is 7:30-3:30. I would just "deal" with getting up earlier if I were done earlier.

31. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

I usually go with a salad and include a meat protein, some nuts or seeds, cheese, some kind of fruit, and a low fat dressing. Its filling, and it hits on all the major food groups, and doesnt kill my carb count.

32. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Sep 6, 2011

What kinds of things do you make in advance and freeze? While we were off for the hurricane I made four different soups and froze them, but I'm looking for other ideas besides just soup.

33. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

I used to almost always eat at 3:00 or later in college. I was just too busy to eat sometimes.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2011

I was very efficient and packed my lunch last night for the first day of school today. I ate about half of it at lunch time, while running around the school trying to "catch up" with several teachers, then got to finish it at 3:15 after the kids had gone home of our quick de-briefing meeting was finished.

35. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 6, 2011

When we make baked pasta, we make extra to freeze for lunches.

36. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 6, 2011

My school offers teachers free lunch, so I'm thankfully not in charge of packing food for myself-- 99% of the time I'd probably end up going hungry. I try to stick with just hitting up the salad bar, but our chief makes some really good food so its hard to stay away from the entrees.

Personally though I really like snacking, so sometimes I will pack a sandwich bag or two with some treats. I might do 1/2 cup of cranberries and a cut up apple in another baggy. At least then I can munch on a little as I work, which is great for days I end up skipping lunch because of copying, grading, or setting up an activity.