What's in your dream sub folder?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Caesar753, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

I'm revamping my sub folder. I'd like to know what sorts of things you'd love to see in a sub folder. Are there any things that you regularly see in sub folders that are unnecessary or a waste of space?

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 3, 2011

My favorites:

Seating charts with pictures....though this isn't always possible.

If you co-teach with anyone, what periods, and if they regularly show up, Or if there is an LS teacher that pops in occassionally (no one ever tells me this for whatever reason...)

If I'm giving a test and the desks are in pairs/groups/etc... do the desks move?

A list of the most important phone numbers (office, guidence, nurse)

Does anyone else use your room or are there times that I can't access the room?

What teacher(s) can I call if I have questions/need help?

Rules for passes. Can I write library passes? Is it closed certain periods. What about tutoring labs?

Are kids allowed to work in the hall if doing partner work?

Is there anything in the room that the students do NOT touch/use under any circumstances?

And the rules for the kids with the sub are the same as the rules for the kids with the regular teacher. Telling me that kids have to sit in assigned seats does not work when the kids are allowed to sit wherever they want on a daily basis.

Hope this helps!

4. Vince

Vince Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

The answers depend on what grade you teach?

5. QueeTheBean

QueeTheBean Rookie

Feb 8, 2011

If nothing else, a seating chart (or at least a class roster) and a timeline for the day.

List of which kids leave the classroom for speech therapy, medication, etc. and when. This is a huge issue for me almost every time I sub--Little Johnny says he needs to go to Mrs. X's room, but the regular teacher left me nothing about that . . .

List of likely behavior problems & list of likely helpers (though normally, I figure this out pretty quickly on my own!)

6. azure

azure Companion

Feb 9, 2011

A list of students (if any) who are allowed to go to another room (e.g. resource or spec. ed. teacher) when taking a test.

Answer keys and whether you would like me to grade anything if I have time.

A piece of chocolate.

7. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Feb 9, 2011

Good topic!

-an explanation on how to take attendance (some schools have different procedures, like the time when attendance is due, or a special form attendance needs to be written on, etc).

-any specific instruction on classroom management that you can edit throughout the school year (bathroom instructions, who cannot stand together in line because they shove, what works as a discipline or positive reinforcement tool for your class, like a reminder about an upcoming party or event, etc)... and please be as thorough as possible with classroom procedures

-extra activities for early finishers, and time-fillers... you don't have to reinvent the wheel or print off hundreds of extra worksheets. It could be as simple as leaving a set of flashcards out and informing the sub that the class enjoys Around the World, leaving a few exciting journal prompts for students to use in their writing journals, or telling the sub early finishers can work on some long-term project that’s already been assigned, practice their spelling words with a partner, etc.

-an emergency lesson plan

It would also be helpful to have a feedback form for subs. I tend to be detailed, but I often see other sub notes with things like, "Day went ok. BJ was absent." That's it. Not every sub knows exactly what type of info is expected in a note, so if you want to know what could help your next sub, leave a form with a section for writing anything they think could improve in the sub plans.

8. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Feb 11, 2011

A seating chart is really important. I came in to a 4th grade today at 12. The teacher told me he wasn't leaving yet, but he didn't tell me when I was supposed to take over. Another teacher brought kids back from lunch. I had no idea which kid was who. No idea at what time we did what.

The sub folder had only a class roster, a list of who got BSI and POR and what days( no times), and a list of the different math groups and who was in them.

I also got no written plans, I was told to give a spelling test and given the words, no idea what time that was supposed to be. 2 children were not in class the whole afternoon, but I had no idea where they were (desk were covered so I guess they were in school). Thank God a special teacher was in the room part of the afternoon otherwise I would have been totally winging it.

Sub folder should have a schedule of what is when and what days are specials. Who is a disciplin problem and who are helpers, what students can do if they finish early, are they allowed to go to lockers or not, what teachers to ask for help, phone extension for front office and nurse.

The best sub folder I ever got was organized had tabs, all info and was easy to use, I wrote the teacher a note to thank her for all the thought and work that went into that. Today was the worst, the total sub folder was 3 pages, I was lost and frustrated and I know this school and these kids well. I should not be expected to know the schedule and responsibilities of every class even if it is a small school. I will think twice before I sub for this teacher again( The P came into the room and said oh I did't know he was leaving early today, 2 other teachers including the specials teacher also didn't know. Of course the kids said he told them. It was an unsettling day for me.

9. tiff1124

tiff1124 Rookie

Feb 12, 2011

A seating chart is great. I had a great one once that was labeled with asterisks next to the "difficult" children, so I knew who to watch out for right off the bat.
    Specific times on the lesson plans. If you usually do Math from 12:00-12:50 then I want to do exactly the same, but if you don't tell me that, how I am supposed to know?
    Specific times for dismissals, if so-and-so is supposed to leave at a certain time, I would like to hear that from you, not just from the student. If I only hear these things from the student, then it would be easy for the student to try to convince me that he/she had to go somewhere, when they really didn't, leading to disaster.
    Think about what the students might ask me throughout the day, and answer those questions for me in your notes. "Are we doing centers?" "Can we play speed ball?" "Can we get on the computer?" "Can we go to the library?" "Can I do my presentation today?" The list goes on.... Many questions I can figure out myself, of course, but the more answers you give me, the better I will be able to follow your wishes, and the less likely that the will try to "play" me.
    Lastly, double check your lesson plans and notes for typos. If you say lunch is at 11:45 and you actually meant 11:15, this is going to cause a lot of problems for the sub. Usually the kids (if they can tell time) will try to set things straight, but it's always a fear that the kids are trying trick me.

Another few thoughts:
    When/where to send attendence.
    How often are they allowed to go to the bathroom?
    Are they allowed to have food or candy?
    For older students, are they permitted to have phones and ipods? (I've even seen some 2nd graders with things like this.)

10. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Feb 12, 2011

As a spec ed teacher who has seen SOOO many problems with students who are identified, please include specific information about identifications and supports students need :)

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 13, 2011

Agreed with all other posts. One more thing: Bell schedules for both regular and rainy days. I had a nightmare day once when it rained unexpectedly and the teacher had no rainy day schedule anywhere to be found. The lunch periods were all different and I ended up taking the kids late to lunch and having all of 15 minutes to wolf down my food and take a bio break.

12. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

One thing that I really appreciate is a list of students who I can count on as helpers, and who to keep an eye on. I've found this to be very helpful.

I love it when I have the schedule laid out for me. Since I tend to sub the lower grades, knowing when the kids take a restroom break is always good to know. If there's a restroom in the room, are they allowed to use it whenever they want, or just when they're working independently? Same thing goes for the water fountain.

Make notes about things that are so routine that you don't even have to think about it. Those are the things that seem to trip me up the most.

13. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 20, 2011

Times when students leave for resource room and are expected to come back. I sub for my friend in the resource room a lot, and I notice kids are coming in at all different times when there is a sub in their regular classroom. The kids know they go down for a specific subject, but sometimes the time to leave is a few minutes into the actual lesson. Subs (and I've done it, too) seem to just send them during that subject bc they don't know when to do so.