What's in you emergency sub plans?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeacherGrl7, Apr 30, 2007.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 30, 2007

Do you keep emergency sub plans in your room? If so, what's in them? Not only things like you're class list or procedures, but what kinds of things do you actually leave for the sub to do? It seems difficult to prepare for an unexpected absence that could occur when your students are at any point in the curriculum. Once I get a "regular" job I want to leave emergency plans, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Thanks!

3. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I just put things in it that are always good to brush up on like multiplication problems for math. I will assign a random story for reading with vocabulary for them to define and use in a sentence. The story wasn't in our reader, but was in supplementary texts like our leveled readers. I also allowed them to use the multiplication bingo game if the sub chose to do so. They could do a spelling bee with words that I listed that were just words they should know. As far as science and social studies, I'd tell them to research something that started with a particular letter in the encyclopedia. Each child got a different letter with a different topic. For instance: A-archaeology, B- Blood Type, C- Cocoons...stuff like that. I also had worksheets pre-printed in my sub folder in case she ran out of stuff to do. They could do this as cooperative learning or on their own. It really just depended on how comfortable the sub was with them working together.

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 1, 2007

I have a sub folder which contains:

*class list
    *behavior plan
    *letter to sub that details procedures and expectations in my classroom
    *classes for special students (special ed., speech, occupational therapy)
    *my home and cell phone numbers

I have emergency plans that consist of:

*a theme for the day in which all activities (math, reading, writing, science) revolve around

For example, one of the themes I have is crayons. There are books to read, art projects to do, math problems, reading comprehension, writing activities, etc. I make a detailed lesson plan (with times and everything) for them to do. I only have these for EMERGENCIES. If it is a day that is planned, I have the sub do the regular activities.