What's in the room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Missteacherlady, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Missteacherlady

Missteacherlady Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

Hello everyone! I am a new teacher and will be teaching Kindergarten this year. While I'm sure every school is different, what are some things I might expect to be in my room/supplied by the school in terms of manipulatives, toys, supplies, ect?

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 12, 2012

I wouldn't expect much besides teachers manuals, textbooks, leveled readers (unless they are in the media center), and furniture. I'd try to go in and see what you have in your room, so that you can plan accordingly.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

It also depends on what the last teacher left behind. I'd get in as soon as possible to inventory what you have.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2012

I seem to get the retired/quitting teaching rooms where the people take their purses and lunch bag with them, and leave decades worth of Junk. Forty trash bags later, I have room for my stuff.

Then I've gotten rooms that were very bare.

Don't buy anything until you've seen your room. And take some trash bags just in case. :haha:

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

Actually, I'd have to agree with all of the above comments. :2cents:

I've been in rooms where the previous teacher left all her stuff, and I've been in others where there were only desks and a teacher computer (I had to hunt down teacher's manuals, textbooks, etc.)

Neither situation was ideal, though!

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2012

Agreed.

I've taken over for a retiring teacher who left EVERYTHING behind and I've been hired for positions where the room included only furniture...some of it broken and mismatched because the vultures had picked it clean before I got there. LOL

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

I've never walked into a room with a lot of supplies. My current room had a few non-usable things in it, the rest I had to supply! Thankfully, they were getting a new math curriculum so I got manips when it finally came in.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

In the same school, I have seen rooms that are full of junk (the one I inherited). However, the junk was not good- I had nothing useable besides furniture and textbooks.
    I've seen another room bare. The teacher transferred (as a punishment) within the district and even took bookshelves and other school property. My P was so happy to be rid of her that she didn't go after any of it. My new teammate has had to supply a lot of her own things (including furniture).

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

In my situation, I've walked into rooms with nothing.

EVENTUALLY, they would deliver a bunch of unmatched desks, and textbooks. Then, I'll get some money to order school supplies.

11. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 13, 2012

I have cleaned out 2 classrooms in my previous positions. One where the teacher used acorns as counters. I had 30 used margarine tubs full of acorns. And I have had science kits with gross moldy stuff left behind too.

This year I have a big empty room with 1 teacher desk, 1 HUGE file cabinet and 1 book self. I have most of the teacher manuals except math and no math books either. I had no student desks or chairs when I was there last. Hopefully the shipment of desks & chairs have arrived by the time I get access in 1 week. The only manipulatives I will have are ones I am bringing with me.