What's happening in your districts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 14, 2009.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2009

In light of our budget woes ("our" meaning all of us here on AtoZ, because this seems to be an issue felt all over the country), districts are already making big plans for big econimic changes. We know this includes pink slips, but what else are your districts doing?

Our district just cut off the heating, so the classrooms are freezing! I hate it because I am already always cold, and now it is even worse. I feel so bad for the kids because they deserve to have nice, warm classrooms.... Not in these economically tough times.

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

I haven't heard anything however I think they are cutting the heat off and a/c - it was in the upper 60 and low 70's this past week here and my room was stuffy and hot! I think if we have the numbers for classrooms they can't eliminate any positions yet...however who knows what else they will change/eliminate.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2009

Frogger- your avitar picture is hilarious! Love it! lol

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2009

I was watching a tape of the latest school board meeting on the public access channel this morning, and it's sounding like they're going to cut the school year by five days and propose a 3% pay cut. I imagine class sizes will go up, too, though I don't know how I'd fit any more desks in my room!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

We haven't experienced any changes yet, although next year is a negotiating year and I'm anticipating that will be tough.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2009

I think the gov. proposed that, so it sounds like it will be statewide.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

We are fine to finish the year but there are proposed 15% cuts for next year. They are talking of cutting 5 days off the year. Our union said to cut programs not teachers. We will see. Our legislature has a rainy day fund but they don't want to use it. If this isn't a rainy day, I don't know what is. They could also bind and use money from the stimulus program.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 14, 2009

So far here they have called in nurses, paraprofessionals, and other various groups (no teachers yet) and told them the process for cuts/job restructuring. At this point he hasn't told us of exactly what cuts will be made as far as actual teaching positions. They have started a hiring freeze and also a freeze on the subs they get. For example, if a paraprofessional is out they won't get a substitute. This gets a bit hairy when our special is computer lab because it's taught by a paraprofessional so when she is out then we have no planning time. I took my students to the lab so they could complete some projects but others didn't so the lab just sat empty a large part of the time.
    I think it would make much more sense to get rid of positions like the literacy coaches/graduation coaches instead of not getting subs for paraprofessionals that provide direct instruction to students.

I am very curious to see what happens with next years budget.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

That's how I feel just about everyday especially now! LOL :p

11. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

I think I would like to see the lit coaches and math coaches cut. All they do at our school is create more work for us.

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 14, 2009

LOL Arky,

I totally agree where the lit coach is concerned although this one and the one last year aren't 1/2 as bad as the one that was before them. He was a total ******* (I put in the *'s you can substitute the word you use for the most irritating thing you can think of). This one just likes to aggravate you by having useless meetings for no reason and by changing schedules for the Title staff (I have had Title help for Reading all year, as of when we go back after our break I now don't have Reading help, have pull-out help for some students for Math now, and have to redo my schedule again).

13. MJH

MJH Companion

Feb 14, 2009

Class Size

The only thing I've heard in my district is increasing the class sizes. We are currently under a hiring freeze which has saved the district around 1.5 million dollars.

My principal is considering limiting the number of copies for each teacher. Which doesn't really affect me since I'm not big on using a lot of worksheets, but other teachers who have their kids sit and do worksheet after worksheet will find it hard.

I'm lucky because there is a law stating that our pay can not be cut so the district doesn't have that option. The only way they could is if the legislature votes to change the law. Right now there is no bill drafted asking for that change.

I'm also fortunate that I work in a district where the mayor wants to give more to education. He is asking all other departments to submit budgets with a 15% cut from this year. He is hoping that by doing cutting the other departments that he can give a little more to education. The district is in corrective action and under partial state take over. Next year we could be under complete state control or the mayor himself could be asked to take over so he would need the extra money.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 14, 2009

I don't think they are cutting any jobs in my district, but they do have a lot of budget cuts in other areas. I believe there is a hiring freeze, as well.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

My district has made its cuts and they will be approved at the next school board meeting (tomorrow, I think). We have cut both our preschool teachers, 1 music teacher, 1/2 high school english, our nurse associate, and our library associate. However, we have to have a certified nurse by state law so that one doesn't really count AND we have to transfer people to preschool and absorb the loss in the elementary. Right now we are in the voluntary transfer mode...but none of the 4 people qualified for preschool want to move...so it's gonna be involuntary! I have a strong feeling I'm going to be moving!! :(
    Anyway...we were told 6 staff members will be cut. Unless I'm bad at math this only equals 5 1/2 (and you can't count the nurse) so that's really 4 1/2. Hmmmm...more cuts coming!!!
    They proposed cutting an administrator. We have 3 1/2 for a K-12 building with less than 500 kids! I wish they would do this first! They also start negotiations soon and I'm guessing no raise or even step movement next year.

Oh yeah...and to put the icing on the cake...some state senator wants to force districts in the state to consolidate ("it'll save money") if they have less then 750 students! THAT'S 2/3 OF THE SCHOOLS IN OUR STATE!!!! :eek: I hope it doesn't fly! :(

16. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

Our wonderful govorner raised the class size by an additional 2 students for next year. :(

Our county is in a hiring freeze. A new school is being opened that directly affects our school, so now 13 teachers are being displaced from our school. They have said we will have jobs, they just don't know where--could be any school in county. :(

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2009

My mom & I both work for the same large district. My mom has worked there longer than I have. She just found out that EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE will be made to take 3 wks off UNPAID in July for the 2009-10 school year to help w/ the budget. (The district is not on the traditional system, but not year-round either. It's some other kind of track). This news will be made public in April, but my mom knows this now because she has friends in high places w/i the district.

Honestly though, my mom & I aren't really afraid that we'll lose our jobs.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

My district is very, very large, and our budget issues amount to hundreds of millions of dollars. It's a lot of money to lose....

They're cutting the entire AVID program. While my personal experience with AVID hasn't been all that great, I do think that it is a worthwhile program, especially for our population of students. Losing it will be bad.

They're cutting early bird classes, which amounts to between 5-15 teachers at each school site. At our school site, I'm told that we won't actually be losing any teachers, since most of those "extra" full-time slots are actually divided up into prep buyouts. They're just going to stop doing prep buyouts except in math.

Class sizes are getting huge. HUGE. My classes are running at around 40 right now, up to around 45. Although I have a decent-sized classroom, 45 hormonal teenagers is just too many to have in any one room for an hour and a half. Next year I expect my classes will run at around 45-50.

We've been asked to cut down on our copy requests, although there haven't been any official quotas/limits placed on us yet. We can't make color copies at all. We have to get special permission to make more than 40 copies for a class set.

They're talking about cutting transportation. They might cut ALL busing to magnet schools (which is the sort of school I teach at). Most likely, they will expand the distances to the bus stops/schools. I'm not explaining that right. Like, right now you can ride the bus if you live a mile and a half away from the school; they want to make it so you have to walk unless you live more than 2 miles away. Same goes for bus stops--you might need to walk up to 2 miles to your bus stop.

Certain programs are getting cut at the school sites, and that's up to the individual administrators. I have a feeling that our school will cut foods, fashion, maybe photo, and some other specialized electives.

We're going to be at 97% staffing next year at our school site. I think this means that if we have the same number of students next year, we will have 3% fewer teachers--for us this means about 4 teachers. I don't expect anyone at our school site to be pink slipped or bumped because we will lose that many (and probably more) due to plain old attrition.

They're thinking of freezing our pay. I'm not sure that they're allowed to do that per our contracts, but it's on the table I guess.

That's all I can think of for now.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Oh, and they're also talking about Pay for Play, which I think is a terrible, horrible, awful idea. For many of our students, athletics is the only reason to come to school, and being eligible to play is the only reason they maintain passing grades. Without sports as an incentive to come to school and do well, they'll most likely just stop coming since they probably won't be able to afford to play.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2009

My school district is thinking about doing that too.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2009

Ours did that for awhile, but now it's back to "normal", but with the cuts our governor is trying to make I bet they go back to that. They also made it so that the bus will take the kids to the "away" games, but they have to have a way back, so that they do not have to pay for the bus driver to sit there. The only sport that doesn't happen in is in track because of the pole vault!! Can you imagine passing a vehical with a pole vault pole along the side on it or hanging out the back!?!? LOL!!!

It will be interesting especially for small schools what is going to happen.

22. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

Big article in our Sunday paper today about possible cuts to athletic programs.