What's happening in your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Sep 23, 2012.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

I always think it's fun to see what others are doing.

We just finished our neighbors unit last week. This week we will begin a 6-week unit on seasons. Everything we do will be about seasons. Our read alouds, most of our decodable readers, and our writing. I am pretty excited to get this new unit started.

What's everyone else doing?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

In math, we are working on function tables and turning the terms into points to graph on the coordinate grid. For reading, we will be finishing Hatchet. We are finishing an opinion writing piece and moving to narrative writing where we will write an exploration story. We just finished cells in science and will be testing that.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

Testing. :rolleyes:

NWEA MAP for Reading and Math.

BAS for reading.

Word Their Way inventory for Writing.

REACH Assessment for....I don't know. The district just made this one up for fun. :woot:

We're almost done though! Onward to...actual learning! We're beginning to read Seedfolks this week. We'll also do some work with geography and the scientific method. I'm excited! :)

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

I forgot to mention math: odd and even numbers.

Reading comprehension: sequencing.

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 23, 2012

We are wrapping up our Oceans/Pirates unit this week and then beginning our two week fall break! When we return from break, we will work on a farm theme for ELA and science and number sense (#6-9) in math.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

Fall break? Oh how I envy you....

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 23, 2012

yep! This is our 10th week of school and I am SO ready for this break!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

Oh wow! You guys started really early then. Is it a year-round school?

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

I have a fall break coming up in a week also-I can't wait! This will be our 9th week of school. We started at the end of July (and it's not a year round school).

Since the quarter is almost over, I've been doing assessments lately with all of my classes. It's difficult, because I'm having them each play rhythms for me, one at a time. I thought they might have trouble just sitting there and listening, so I found some music word searches for the rest of the students to work on while I was testing. But some of the classes were talking way too much. I'm going to have to think about how I can change my assessment procedures (this is my first year teaching music). I'm going to an assessment workshop next weekend, so I hope I get some good ideas.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

We are starting our fourth week of school Monday.

In math we are basically focusing on independence, and working alone or with a partner so that I can work with math groups. However, that independent or partner work has been addition fact games, number of the day and LOTS of place value.

Reading is independent reading and daily 5. I'm still assessing to find their levels. No grouping or anything yet.

Science is the senses and scientific method.

Writing has been letter writing. They wrote to me telling me about what they wanted to learn and what they wanted help in. They wrote to staff members to ask for volunteer opportunities, to their parents for parent night and to their new pen pals. This week we are making a class book about our state for the pen pal class.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

This is day #15 for us.

We've covered set theory,and used Venn Diagrams to approach a particular style of verbal problems.

Then we started Euclidean Geometry. We've done problems with vertical and supplementary angles involving two variables.

We're in the midst of starting triangles. Today we'll hit the theorem that states a triangle contains 180 degrees, Tonight's homework will involve finding the measures of the angles of a triangle and classifying the triangle.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

We're about a third of the way through our unit on "Everyday People, Extraordinary Things". Our focus right now has been Terry Fox, as a lead in to our school wide Terry Fox Run on Thursday. The students are finishing their diagnostic writing tasks and I'll be starting reading assessments (DRA for most) today. We have Meet the Teacher night on Thursday, so there's some artwork and a short writing task to finish and get put up.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

In Geometry, the students have just finished up logic statements.

In Eng II, we're finishing reading The House on Mango Street and grammar work.

In Eng III, we're starting The Crucible.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2012

Six weeks down here!
    Religion: Tools to help us study the Bible
    Reading: Reading partnerships are going strong, and stamina for Read to Self is awesome. We're adding in Word Work this week, along with student choice. We just finished our overview of the main comprehension strategies, and now we will start a unit on asking questions.
    Language: 4 types of sentences (Sentence Superheroes! After learning about each type, groups write a super-hero script, but each character can only speak in their type of sentence. It's one of my favorite activities of the year. :)) We're also getting into the swing of writer's workshop, which took a bit longer than normal to get up and running this year due to scheduling issues.
    Math: 3-digit addition--lots of working with Base Ten blocks!
    Social Studies: Maps and Globes

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 24, 2012

I always like reading these posts, too! :)

-Reading: Building stamina for Read to Self and Work on Writing. We will begin Word Work when I pick them up from lunch in 10 minutes! We're focusing on adding new strategies to our CAFE menu. This week is "Ask questions while reading."
    -Writing: Working on various components of launching writer's workshop. Today we'll use some sentence starters to help with ideas.
    -Math: Story problems
    -Social Studies: Today and Long Ago unit

We're also meeting our kindergarten buddies for the first time on Thursday.

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

We only have 2.5 months left! :)

In 3rd we are classifying plants
    4th we are doing plant and flower parts
    5th we are doing sensory organs
    6th passive and active transport
    7th physics power problems
    7th biology DNA replication and RNA
    8th physics buoyancy
    8th biology protein synthesis

*whew*!

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

Juniors - The Crucible
    Seniors - Iliad
    English Comp Seniors - expository essays
    Psychology - sensory and perception

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

We are starting our mapping unit.

Thursday, they will have 10 stations with different maps and a scavenger hunt to complete. This is a preassessment to gauge their map reading skills. They can make corrections at the end of unit on our review day. Their test for this unit will be mostly performance based.

Monday, we are doing latitude and longitude with an activity I made based on finding Amelia Earhart.

Wednesday and Friday will be topo map stuff. I wish I had the plastic mountain models or something hands on and fun besides the actual maps.

20. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 24, 2012

I'm merely a student, but I thought I'd share what's going on in my classes...

-Intro to Psychology we just finished testing on subfields (and their "founders") and biological foundations of the body
    -English (Ideas & Values in Literature) We write an analysis of a short story every week. Due today is on "Young Goodman Brown" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (awesome story).
    -Education: we are finishing up the first section with learning about standards in education. In addition to our text we are reading Deborah Meier's "Will Standards Save Public Education?"
    -Foundations of Math for Elementary Teachers: FINALLY getting into strategies for teaching math after learning about sets, Euler and Venn diagrams, problem solving strategies, etc.
    -American History: bleh. My teacher's boring ;o) It's online, so I just answer questions. We are about to enter the American Revolution
    -Art History: Just finished up Greek and Aegean art (LOVED it) and have a test (covering prehistoric, Egyptian and Greek art), so no new material this week. We also have to write an outline and essay for the art we've covered thus far.

This is our 6th week. 14 left to go!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

ku~what do your seniors study?

22. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 24, 2012

We're on our third week.

My grade 7s just finished up exponents and we're moving on to divisibility rules.

My grade 8s are in the middle of the Pythagorean Theorem

My grade 9s are review operations with rational numbers.

My Health classes are finishing up a unit on themselves - who they are as a person, a friend and an learner.

23. publowle

publowle Rookie

Sep 24, 2012

American History 2 - Grade 10 - We are now starting to work on the Nixon Years.

American History 1 - Grade 10 - Finishing up on the Articles Of Confederation, transferring over to The Declaration

Western Civ 1 - Grade 09 - Students are wrapping up on their Holocaust projects. Presenting tomorrow and Thursday. Beginning the end of World War 2 unit.

Criminal Justice & Law - Grade 11&12 - Reviewing the importance of the Miranda Rights and beginning to discuss federal agency's

24. Moldy Peach

Moldy Peach Rookie

Sep 24, 2012

American Sign Language 1 - Practicing for 3rd vocabulary test, Watching Switched @ Birth Season 1

English 11/12 (Deaf - Hard of Hearing class)
    Beowulf reading and vocabulary

Basic English (DHH class as well)
    Journaling, and worksheets.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

This sounds like fun!