What's happening in your class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2010

I thought I would start a thread where we can talk about our current learning goals within our classes.

This past week we focused on words with the /ar/ sound. We looked at words in their present and past tenses and worked on changing verbs from past to present, and vice versa.

In science we are learning about animals, specifically their movements and coverings, and then we have discussed ways to classify those animals, and then students were able to classify them in their own chosen way.

In math we are working on comparing numbers and determining greater than, less than, etc.. We are also learning how to make different math sentences for a given number.

In Bible we are learning about obedience and the importance of being obedient to parents and to figures of authority.

What about in your classes?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

In my English class, the students are working on writing 3-5 minutes speeches that they will present late in November. We are focusing on research skills, main idea and supporting details. The students are also working on creating a comic book anthology with a professional comic book artist.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Reading- deeper thinking in our books, saving our thoughts on post its and writing summaries in response notebooks

Writing- Capturing 'small moments' and stretching them out in personal narratives

Math- Money concepts: counting coins, coin combinations, using the least number of bills and coins to make a set amount of money, counting change, addition and subtraction with money

Science- plant life cycles, photosynthesis

Health- Human skeletal system (nice to link with Halloween skeletons!!)

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

Cool thread!

Religion--Our Bible stories focus on Samuel, Saul, and David. Our "Fruit of the Spirit" focus this month is gentleness.

Math--We are supposed to move on to multiplication concepts, but I don't think all mine have mastered +/-. I need to grade the benchmarks before I decide what what we're doing. We might do a geometry or data unit first while we review those skills.

Science/S.S.--Landforms and ecosystems; the regions of the U.S.

Writing--we are working on "autobiographies." This week, we will be drafting our personal narrative sections and revising/publishing some other sections.

Reading--Making inferences

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2010

We've just started graphing.

Friday's test included drawing a rectangle around a shape, finding its area and the area of all the extraneous regions, and ending up with the area of the shape you wanted.

This week we'll start slope and midpoint, working our way up to coordinate geometry proofs.

The kids tend to enjoy this part of the course.

My SAT classes will begin a practice exam in a few days.

And my 5th grade religion class (after school :) ) has finished Baptism. We've done the Church calendar. We have this week off (since the public schools are closed for Election Day) and I'm not sure what comes next; I'll prep it sometime this week. But very soon I'll throw in Thanksgiving, followed by Advent.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 31, 2010

Reading this week (short week) we are focusing on problem and solution in our guided reading groups. My biggest goal of the week is going to be moving my bottom group to a DRA 5 by the end of the week! I am also going to let my top group try out doing a book report on glogster thanks to another AtoZers suggestions!

Grammar we begin nouns... we are going to try to incorporate these skills into our writing.

For writing, we will be sharing our stories that we published last week: The Student from the Black Lagoon. We just finished our author study on Mike Thaler and worked really hard on these books. I couldn't believe how excited my kids were to have their books published, so we definitely need to share them!

Math this week we will begin place value. We will also have a free afternoon during math where we will pull out some math games we received from DC so that I can take pictures and we can write our thank you notes.

Social studies begins Economics... we are starting with needs and wants and goods and services. Only three days, we have a scientist coming in to do some experiments all Wednesday afternoon, I have an eligibility all afternoon on Thursday, and we have a lot to get through!

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 31, 2010

Reading: My guided reading groups are all starting new chapter books. Our main skill will be story elements with a focus on plot. We just finished with characters.

Language: Starting our verb unit this coming up week.

Social Studies: Starting Chapter 4 which deal with colonization of the Americas. I am going to push to get through this chapter so we can start the 13 colonies before Christmas Break.

Science: Our grade level is working on a Science Expo which means we will be busy working on science experiments.

Math: I am teaching the low math class this year and we are still working through topic 2 in Envision, but I need to start introducing geometry skills as they are to be presented during this nine weeks according to our corporation's standard chart.

I am pretty much starting with new topics and activities as we were on Fall Break this week, and we finished up other units before we left for our two days off on Wednesday.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

In science, we're learning about life cycles, which is a lot of fun because each day the kids get to fill in the boxes to make a different animals life cycle, then at the end of the chapter we bind them together with a cover and staples and PRESTO, instant book!

In math, we are learning how to subtract, which means I have to use ALOT of visuals because subtraction is kind of abstract and a lot of first graders struggle with it.

In social studies we're doing communities, which is honestly kind of boring to me, but then, I didn't even like S.Studies in school

In reading, we've been working on our decoding skills, the q, j and...OMG, i can't remember the other letter!:eek: ARGH!

I confess, writing has been the highlight of my day the last week. The kids write so many interesting pieces. Last week, we did diary entries, a descriptive paragraph and rewrote one of the stories we read in class. :D

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

Are you at an America's Choice School? The reading and writing sound VERY familar...

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2010

What a great science idea! We are learning about animal habitats, but we have been discussing a lot about cycles through our literature these past few weeks. Is this a handout you got somewhere, or does it come with your curriculum?

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2010

Ok, we had 4 days off, so here is what's happening in my class this week (a short week):

LA:
    we are learning r-controlled sounds with er/ur/ir
    verbs: am, is, are, were
    writing:facts/a story about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly (students have to use describing words, and our verbs this week correctly)

Math: Comparing three digit numbers (we only have 2 days of math because of the short week)

Science: Exam on animal basics (movement and coverings); begin habitats (we are making a garden habitat on Friday)

Bible: Noah's ark/faithfulness and worship

Ok, anyone else who has not already said what your class is doing this week?

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

Ok...am I going crazy? I could have SWORN I posted a reply to this earlier...I guess I thought about the reply and didn't write it? Argh, hate when that happens. :dizzy:

Anyhow, to answer your question Tami, I made up the sheet. It didn't come in my curriculum, but it's a fun way for the kids to learn about life cycles, it makes a nifty book and it's one of my tricks to get away with coloring which is a HUGE no no. I made it in Microsoft Word. How do I post it on here? Or do you want me to send it to you as an email attachment?

It's very basic, just four boxes with a line on top to write the kind of life cycle and a line going through the box for the kids to label each stage.

14. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Nov 3, 2010

Our days are VERY full!! Sometimes I forget I am only teaching Kindergarten!

Bible: Story of Joseph and the coat of many colors; Bible memory verse "H"

Phonics: continuing to work on our short vowel/consonant blends (i.e. ba, bi, be, bo, bu), adding consonants to the end to make one-vowel words, recognizing short vowels in words and marking them (short vowels have a "smiley face" over their heads-I have to teach this because the curriculum requires them to mark vowels and "special sounds" later on in the year & in 1st grade), recognizing blends in certain words, and beginning sounds.
    Reading: each reading group is reading either working on their blends, or a curriculum leveled reader. Two groups are already reading two-vowel words!

Writing: recognizing and writing sentences, recognizing proper nouns and how to correctly write them (i.e. Names, Months of the year, Days of the week). Writing the letter "t" and "i" in cursive. They will soon begin to write their names in cursive, although half of them know how to already.

Math: telling time to the nearest hour, counting to 100, recognizing numbers up to 60, recognizing a penny, dime, and a nickel and their value, simple addition problems using pictures

Readiness Skills: tracing, cutting, and following directions to create a certain type of picture

Social Studies: Occupations in our community (i.e. Fireman, Doctor, Teacher, Preacher, Police Officer, etc.)

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2010

Cursive in K? That's impressive. Our kids don't learn until 2nd grade, but several of them already know how by 1st.

16. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Nov 3, 2010

Our school starts cursive in Pre-K--- I'm on the fence about it, but it is neat to see how their handwriting was in the beginning of the year and now they are slowly writing neater and in cursive.

17. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 3, 2010

Busy days for sure.
    In reading we are learning to identify characters and settings.
    In phonics we are learning short vowels and blending cvc words.
    In writing we are using high frequency words to write short sentences as well as identifying end marks.
    In math we are starting geometry and fractions.

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 4, 2010

Today was busy for us as well because the kids had to take TWO math assessments, one cummulative reading assessment and yet another one for science.

I was dissapointed because they are struggling with knowing the difference between when to add and when to subtract when the problems are on the same page :(

A lot of my math stars got D's and E's. So...it'sback to the drawing board.

THe reading test went really well though. The kids had to listen to a story and then bubble in the correct answer about it.

19. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 4, 2010

Next week we are:

Reading - learning sight words 'we' and 'like', using beginning sounds and pictures to help decode words, segmenting 3 sounds out of words

Writing - We are going to write about things that are living and non-living. We have been reading and discussing it for the last few weeks, now they write.

Math - counting to 110 by 5s and 10s, to 30 by 2s and to 50 by 1s, writing #s to 50 and telling time to the hour (very excited about this lesson!!)

Social Studies - living vs. nonliving, Thanksgiving