What's for Lunch?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by daisycakes, Apr 8, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 8, 2015

What do you do for lunch at your school each day?

I used to be over 200 lbs. I now weigh around 125 and have kept the weight off for over 5 years. This is a permanent lifestyle change. I generally eat granola and yogurt for breakfast, a lean cuisine/healthy choice/whatever for lunch and a much higher calorie, though well-balanced, homemade dinner. However, the 3 microwaves we began the school year with have all broken and I am doubtful they will be replaced. So, I'm looking for low-calorie (around 300) ideas of what to eat instead. I'm sick of salad!!! I'm wondering if I should just break down and buy a microwave.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

I try to mix things up a bit at lunch, but try to stay away from anything processed. Several times a week, I do bring a salad, always with protein--today I have chopped celery, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, feta cheese and baby shrimp. Also in the rotation: lettuce wraps, leftovers, veggies and hummus with hard-boiled eggs and cheese, egg muffins, turkey muffins. We have 2 microwaves for our staff of over 50, so I do try to avoid anything that has to be eaten hot.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2015

Congratulations on your lifestyle change, daisycakes! Lunch is a hard one for me, too. If I don't eat a good lunch, I'm grumpy and starving by 3pm. I have a microwave in my room this year, thank goodness. I usually bring leftovers or a salad, but I want to get more creative with the salads, not just lettuce plus...MrsC, yours sounds awesome!

Aside from leftovers and salads, what about making a "protein box" like what Mrs C described? Egg, cheese, veggies, etc...

Mrs C, what are egg muffins and turkey muffins?

Also, I would check out Pinterest for more ideas -- there are endless possibilities! My problem is planning ahead and having good meal items on hand ahead of time. I seem to either having nothing in my fridge, or too much and it's spoiling before I get to it, which I hate :(

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

Egg Muffins: Finely chop and saute veggies of your choice (I like zucchini, onion, mushrooms, peppers) until just soft. Divide between greased muffin cups, filling about 1/2 full. Fill cups to 3/4 full with either beaten egg whites or beaten whole eggs. If you'd like, top with a little cheese (I like feta or goat cheese). Bake until cooked through. Remove from muffin tin when cool and store in the fridge.

Turkey muffins: Mini-turkey meatloaves loaded with shredded veggies.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2015

Oh, what good ideas, MrsC! How long do they muffins last for in the fridge? I'm guessing a couple days? Have you ever tried freezing them?

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

The egg muffins are good for several days--I usually line the container with some paper towel as they can be a bit "wet". I've never tried freezing them. I pop the turkey ones into the freezer when they are cool; so easy to grab a couple for a quick snack!

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 8, 2015

I eat a lot of salads and sandwiches. I get the bread that is 45 calories a slice, so I can keep it under 200 calories. I like to have 100 calorie Greek yogurts, fruit, carrot sticks, pretzels and humus, etc. as sides.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 9, 2015

I loved having a microwave in my classroom. It was one of those purchases that I never thought twice about; I knew it'd be well worth the $$$.

Nowadays, I never have to fight over the microwave with anyone because I eat lunch at 10:45. I've gotten used to eating super early--only bad thing is that I'm ready for dinner at 4:00!

10. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

Apr 10, 2015

I always do leftovers. Typically it's a meat, stir fried veggies, and either a salad/fruit/roasted potatoes/sweet potato. I used to do sandwiches but now I do eat grains. Last year I didn't have time to get to a microwave so I ate everything cold. It's all fine except the potatoes. That took some getting used to!

I have frozen egg muffins. I usually make a bunch and then pull them out and put them in the fridge the night before I want to eat them. It works great.